Can we use a 1.5 TB hard drive????

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

HiDef Dan

Original poster
Aug 17, 2007
Simple question: Has anyone used a 1.5 TB hard drive to archive so far? I read a week or so ago that someone was going to try it, but I have not seen the response so far.

1.5TB Hdd?

Officially Dish is saying drives between 40GB and 750GB are supported by the software. I believe there was at least one post about 1TB working. You will have to plug it in and see what happens. Then you can report back here so others will be enlighten by your experiment.

I have a 1.5 working fine. formats out at 1.39TB

HD921-

What drive is that?

I tried a WD My Book Premium edition II and it produced an error message that said this drive is not supported. This drive is exactly the one that they showed on the Tech Chat I recall because it is a double drive in a Raid 0 format, meaning 2 500G drives. They advised against it because the current software won't support it.

Don,
My WD 1TB Pro edition won't work either. Error code 855 (I believe) pops up with a 'not supported' message.
I have tried it in Raid 0 and 1, but it won't recognize either way. My PC has no issues recognizing it. As a side note, my 622 DID recognize my portable 100GB Archos HD (NON-Pocket Dish).
Hopefully they will get this sorted out soon and we will all be happy (well, most of us anyway:rolleyes:)

Lonster

Yeah It must be the dual drive internal construction that is an issue. I hooked up a 500Gb and it is working fine. Now I have 2 drives formatted so I have 800Gb total for archiving some of my favorites. The 500Gb is a Maxtor, I picked up this afternoon and the 300 was an internal using a cheap IDE to USB converter cable.

I've asked in another thread, but how do these dual drives show up in Windows, for instance ?? They show as one "drive", do they not ?? If so, the drive's controller joins them transparently to anything that they're plugged into and they appear as one. Can't understand why Linux doesn't see them the same way....

I don't think I will buy anything over 500GB for quite a while. (I have 1.3TB total storage on my desktop) I am concerned about loss of data on these new drives, as rarely as it happens losing 1TB or more of data, whether it be movies or data would really suck.

Last edited:
I've asked in another thread, but how do these dual drives show up in Windows, for instance ?? They show as one "drive", do they not ?? If so, the drive's controller joins them transparently to anything that they're plugged into and they appear as one. Can't understand why Linux doesn't see them the same way....

It depends on the linux kernel and the USB chipset.

Depends on the enclosure and the controller. The cheaper ones need a Windows driver to perform the RAID functions and what-not. The more expensive ones have a dedicated hardware controller and should be fine with Linux...

If it's internal RAID controller ( in the enclosure) then OS will see it as one volume, ie will treat as physical device. Linux is OK too.

I find it hard to believe that any external drive isn't configured to appear as one drive. Face it, the general consumer who buys a 1gb drive is going to be confused, if not feeling ripped off, if it shows up as (2) 500gb drives in Windows (or any OS).

I find it hard to believe that any external drive isn't configured to appear as one drive. Face it, the general consumer who buys a 1gb drive is going to be confused, if not feeling ripped off, if it shows up as (2) 500gb drives in Windows (or any OS).

Well said.

But for the time being, I too am content with my 500GB My Book. Working like a charm, and staying perfectly cool when not in use.

I don't see any problem here - 2x500 GB = 1x1 TB :) Same amount space what paid of.
And more - there is a MANUAL and utility for configuration. Plus on retail box written about possible configurations ;).
Not everyone is car's mechanic, but we run more cars then DVRs.
Somebody will consult you - Geek Squad for example.

PS. You mention 1 GB disk, but really it was 1 TB ;).

Don,
My WD 1TB Pro edition won't work either. Error code 855 (I believe) pops up with a 'not supported' message.
I have tried it in Raid 0 and 1, but it won't recognize either way. My PC has no issues recognizing it. As a side note, my 622 DID recognize my portable 100GB Archos HD (NON-Pocket Dish).
Hopefully they will get this sorted out soon and we will all be happy (well, most of us anyway:rolleyes:)

Lonster

So does this mean the Archos multi media players are all, in effect, able to do what the PocketDish does now? I have the PocketDish (Archos AV500e) and there have been some issues with it freezing the 622. I have heard that since the latest update these issues have been resolved but I have not tested it yet myself.

If this is indeed the case, it will be a great way to give Archos whole line portability to 622 recorded content. At the same time, it will render the PocketDish obsolete. I wonder if other brand, high capacity multi media players are recognized as well.

As a side thought, if any multi media player can be recognized, what would prevent you from taking that player and copying the contents to other hard drives, dvds, etc. or playing them on any tv via the audio/video outputs? I thought this is what Dish wanted to avoid.

I don't see any problem here
Maybe you don't but I'm talking about the same group of people who buy a 120gb hard drive and Windows tells them it's got 104-105gb of available space and they want to know how to fix it so that they get 120gb.

Yeah It must be the dual drive internal construction that is an issue. I hooked up a 500Gb and it is working fine. Now I have 2 drives formatted so I have 800Gb total for archiving some of my favorites. The 500Gb is a Maxtor, I picked up this afternoon and the 300 was an internal using a cheap IDE to USB converter cable.

There are no single spindles (ie drives) for sale with a capacity of 1.5TB. The largest single spindles are from Hitachi and Seagate at 1TB each.

There are probably differences in how the storage is presented to the 622 that are causing these issues.

1.39TB for a "1.5TB" drive is about right due to differences between marketing (straight powers of ten) and computers (2^10).

Cheers,

I don't see any problem here - 2x500 GB = 1x1 TB :) Same amount space what paid of.
And more - there is a MANUAL and utility for configuration. Plus on retail box written about possible configurations ;).

You expect people to read manuals? Most people don't bother until after it's broken...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)