Sat 1 fine, Sat 2 missing...help!

blackjackmark

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 23, 2003
Central IL
Running a 622 with 110, 119 and 129 satellites. Not really up on on all the switch configs as I had the Dish installed. Two wires run out of the Dish and into the house. Both then have splitters on the ends to run both a 622 and a 721.

I looked at the installation and can see no external switch box. Is that built in to the transoponders now? Seems like there's only two wires coming off of the LNBs.

It has worked fine for nearly a year. Recently I have lost Satellite 2. Satellite 1 works fine. Have rerun the Check Switch and called Customer Service last night. In a pretty short time, he stated that either the switches are bad or the 622 is bad, and needs to send out a tech.

Here's the headache...I've "moved" and really don't want to move back as my locals aren't available in HD On Dish. (and yes, that's a whole 'nother discussion on the ethicss/legalities/morality of moving). BUt if I have to I will.

Any suggestions as to what I can check myself before having to break down, move back home, and call Dish back to arrange a service call?

Is this loss on both receivers. Or just one of your receivers. If it's just one receiver then check cableing or the DPP Separator (the little splitter as you called it)
If it's on both receivers then it's probably an LNBF Failure.

Is this loss on both receivers. Or just one of your receivers. If it's just one receiver then check cableing or the DPP Separator (the little splitter as you called it)
If it's on both receivers then it's probably an LNBF Failure.

Thanks so much for your response.

Actually I'm not currently using the feed for the 721 (disconnected it about 2 weeks ago), so I tried its feed on the 622 and got the same thing. I think I'll try to hook it back up to see if I get the smae problem on it as on the 622.

When you say LNBF failure, would I still get all three locations (110, 119 and 129) if it was that? I assumed that Sat 1 and Sat 2 were identical feeds to drive each tuner, and with that in mind would an LNBF failure be possible since I am getting signals on Sat 1? Or could it be the switch within the LNBF that is not outputting to Sat 2?

In all my years of doing this for a living, I find that the majority of all failures seem to come from cableing issues. It helps to have two receivers to check things out.. One thing you can try is to reverse the Dpp Separator on the back of your receiver (you called it a splitter) If you reverse the wires and the problems switches to the other tuner then you probably have a bad separator.. If nothing changes then look elsewhere. Check all your cable connection to see if they are tight and not burnt or corroded.. Troubleshooting is just a simple act of going down a list and checking off each thing.. But it always helps to have a truckful of all the parts you might need to swap out till things start working.. And yes a bad LNBF can cause wierd problems that don't seem logical.. But receiver and LNB are usually not the culprit. But they can be.. I have seen more bad separators lately so if you have another separator to try you might find that to be the problem..

If you moved your receiver from one place to another and the same problem occured then it might just be your receiver, unless when you moved the receiver you moved the separator with it. Then it still might just be the separator..

What are your signal levels on all your other sats?

They were pretty low with the new meters...in the low to mid 50s, whihc was another concern. Wasn't sure if they were reading correctly and it waas due to the new meter strength calibration, or if that was a symptom. They used to be in the 80s-90s.

Those are extremely low numbers. If you know how to align your reflector I would try that. Even 80's 90's are not great. Good Luck!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)