Ultimate poor customer service

diajohn2

Original poster
Jul 10, 2007
I sent the following email to CEO@Dish tonight. I find it unbelievable how poor their customer service is with the competition they face. I consider their technology superior but find they are the worse to deal with. Why do they not want to shine?

Of course, I am not able to have UPS pick up the wrong DVR but must go out of my way to find a UPS store where it will go. Drop boxes won't do. The customer is always wrong with them and I wonder why.

John:eek:

I ordered an upgrade (dish-up) for an HD-DVR in place of our 222. Dish sent an old 522 which is not similar. When, I called tonight after waiting and waiting while the CSR constantly had to put me on hold. I was told nothing further would happen until they received the incorrect shipment back.

When I ordered the upgrade, the CSR also constantly put me on hold while he was “checking” something. I confirmed a number of times with him to make certain it was the HD-DVR, I was ordering. I felt so uncomfortable with the poor communication, I called DISH the next morning to confirm my request. After, again, many holds for “checking”, I was assured it was an HD-DVR.

I hope this level of service is not standard. Frankly, when they system works, it is good but signal loss occurs almost every night and I have to reboot the 222. The 622 downstairs can be changed to a non-HD picture but the 222 must be rebooted. I do have a clear shot to the sky and it has been checked in a subsequent service call.

My complaints.

1.Poor customer service on the telephone.
2.The inability of CSR’s to have any idea what they are doing constantly having to ask someone else.
3.The idea that your shipping mistake creates additional work for me, the customer.
4.Waiting extra time for the device I ordered the first time.

Happy Update

The email to CEO@ worked a charm. I got a quick reply early this business day with an apology for the customer service and a promise to ship me the HD-DVR right away. A 622 instead of a 722, but I can certainly live with that. :)

I have had the worst and best service from DISH. And the difference was a phone call. When you are not getting anywhere with a CSR or they just don't understand just call back later and talk to a different person. Ultimately, they must transfer you to the Execustive Resolution Desk if you request it. It's like any other large company with new hirings and firings and training going on. They tried to make me pay for a damaged 622 that UPS dropped. Went via the email to ceo route and got it straightened out. Again though, the best of times and the worst of times (to paraphrase Dickens) when you're dealing with CSR's. Just keep trying because usually there is someone there who gives a damn.

Dealing with DISH CSRs is a crap shoot. One time you call and you get the biggest idiot in India/Phillipines. Then next time, you get somebody who really knows what's going on and how to help you. I think lots of times you talk to people who really don't know what to do. Either because they haven't been there very long, or there is a language barrier and they don't completely understand what's going on. NEVER call for ANYTHING after about 6PM cuz you'll get transfered over-seas. Things just tend to go downhill after that. The US call centers don't have a 3rd shift unfortunately. Nothing against foreigners. I've just noticed that I usually get better results from the US call centers. Like Tvlman said, if you talk to an idiot, hang up and call back. You'll never get the same person twice.

Dealing with DISH CSRs is a crap shoot. One time you call and you get the biggest idiot in India/Phillipines. Then next time, you get somebody who really knows what's going on and how to help you. I think lots of times you talk to people who really don't know what to do. Either because they haven't been there very long, or there is a language barrier and they don't completely understand what's going on. NEVER call for ANYTHING after about 6PM cuz you'll get transfered over-seas. Things just tend to go downhill after that. The US call centers don't have a 3rd shift unfortunately. Nothing against foreigners. I've just noticed that I usually get better results from the US call centers. Like Tvlman said, if you talk to an idiot, hang up and call back. You'll never get the same person twice.
That must be where I go wrong with E* .. I call after 6 pm.

Last edited:
I guess I came up craps on the phone calls. Three bad for three. My disappointment is they did not seem to have any information without constantly placing me on hold. If you are a carpenter without a hammer, you might as well stay home. I am not sure E give these people any tools to work with.

Maybe they haven't spent enough money on the call center software and it doesn't connect with any data they need. Who knows? If they must keep calling someone else to get basic instructions and information, that tells me that infrastructure is a problem.

I was very frustrated last night because I worked hard to make sure I confirmed and reconfirmed my order.

E has a great product but having to appeal to a higher authority for a simple order to be fulfilled will turn off a lot of customers.

I have my fingers crossed that the HD-DVR shows up early next week and it is as ordered. :)

I guess I came up craps on the phone calls. Three bad for three. My disappointment is they did not seem to have any information without constantly placing me on hold. If you are a carpenter without a hammer, you might as well stay home. I am not sure E give these people any tools to work with.

Maybe they haven't spent enough money on the call center software and it doesn't connect with any data they need. Who knows? If they must keep calling someone else to get basic instructions and information, that tells me that infrastructure is a problem.

I was very frustrated last night because I worked hard to make sure I confirmed and reconfirmed my order.

E has a great product but having to appeal to a higher authority for a simple order to be fulfilled will turn off a lot of customers.

I have my fingers crossed that the HD-DVR shows up early next week and it is as ordered. :)
I'm 4 for 4 on bad E* calls. Next one will be to downgrade to Dish Family.And if D* has the HD lineup I'm hoping for ,then I'll be upgrading to the premium pack.Atlest with D* you can upgrade,downgrade,and just about anything else you want online. I've yet to see how you could downgrade online with E*,and its never free. You get charged and agrevated with every phone call to E* IMO.

Shameful that customers are treated this way by something that is effectively a luxury. Don't go thinking that DirecTV is any better. E* and D* are in a race to the bottom.

its not just the satalite people..have you called Sprint, Comcast, or any of those type of folks lately? Customer service is a disgrace now a days, and loses more business for companies than it retains..

Shameful that customers are treated this way by something that is effectively a luxury. Don't go thinking that DirecTV is any better. E* and D* are in a race to the bottom.
D* customer service is way better.I've never in the 4 years I've been with them have I ever gotten someone who couldn't speak proper english. I've had E* for 1 month and called already 4 times and never gotten anyone from this country.

its not just the satalite people..have you called Sprint, Comcast, or any of those type of folks lately? Customer service is a disgrace now a days, and loses more business for companies than it retains..
This is true too. But I think in the 4 years I've had Cingular ,I may have called them once.

D* customer service is way better.I've never in the 4 years I've been with them have I ever gotten someone who couldn't speak proper english. I've had E* for 1 month and called already 4 times and never gotten anyone from this country.

You got lucky with D*, because during that span I am pretty sure they had some of their customer contact offshore (although not 100% positive). At this point with D*, I'd actually trade "proper english" for someone that actually knew something I didn't when I called in. Granted, I am definitely not saying E* is better at it. I think both of them do the best they can to encourage people to find another way to get pay TV or to just go without.

You got lucky with D*, because during that span I am pretty sure they had some of their customer contact offshore (although not 100% positive). At this point with D*, I'd actually trade "proper english" for someone that actually knew something I didn't when I called in. Granted, I am definitely not saying E* is better at it. I think both of them do the best they can to encourage people to find another way to get pay TV or to just go without.
Your right they both are far from perfect. If they both didn't piss me off most of the time ,I wouldn't have both services.I'd have one. Funny how that worked out for me!:eek::confused:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)