Can you get the new HD from DISH?

Do you currently receive the new HD channels from DISH?

• Total voters
Not sure how many people here have read this article. Seems the issue of Dish adding new HD that cannot be received by many of it's customers has not gone unnoticed.....

News & Commentary
Dish Adds 9 HD Channels -- Sort Of
TVPredictions.com

Washington, D.C. (February 11, 2010) -- Dish Network yesterday added nine new High-Definition channels, but they can only be seen by customers with certain new satellite systems.

The new channels are Tru-TV, Fox Soccer Channel HD, Showtime West HD, Sportsman Channel HD, Hallmark HD, E! HD, BBC America HD, Indieplex HD and Retroplex HD.

However, Dish has placed the new channels on its newest satellites, which means customers must have the Dish 1000 satellite system to receive the signals.

Making things even more complicated, Dish customers in the East must have a Dish 1000.4.

Dish Network has not issued a comment on why the new channels require the new equipment, or if they will be moved later to other satellites so they can be seen by the entire subscriber base.

It's also not clear what percentage of Dish customers can not see the new HD channels.

Swanni's Take:
I'm not sure which is worse: DIRECTV not adding new HD channels or Dish Network adding them, but not allowing many of their customers to see them.

Dish needs to fix this situation -- and soon. If you're going to add nine HD channels, they need to be available to every high-def customer.

Old news..... :rolleyes: All a part of the joys of ever changing & emerging technology, *especially* when it comes to satellite based technologies. :cool:

Just wait till DISH starts upgrading western arc to mpeg 4 , one programming pack at a time. Then you will see some people really scream.

New Channel Availability

As I have 61.5/110/119 I called Dish and asked what the cost would be to have another dish installed so the 9 new channels could be received.

I called at 10:00 a.m. Friday and by 4:00 p.m. an installer had put a huge new dish on my roof. Now that is service.

In addition, there was no charge!

I've been a Dish HD subscriber since 2006 - 110/119 with 61.5 on a second dish. I still have snow on my roof, so I am not actively pursuing the new channels yet, but I am not happy about the way Dish has handled the entire situation.

I've been a Dish HD subscriber since 2006 - 110/119 with 61.5 on a second dish. I still have snow on my roof, so I am not actively pursuing the new channels yet, but I am not happy about the way Dish has handled the entire situation.

I'm in the same position and feel exactly the same as you do. Perhaps by the time the snow clears Dish will have made a statement about their intentions for 61.5 and/or E14, obviating the need for a change (though I doubt it).

Frankly, all we know now is that the new national HD is not on that satellite (although thankfully DNFYI-HD is); everything else regarding where national HD will/won't be is just one big rumor. Frankly, I'm not even sure Dish knows what they'll be doing. :)

Dude there were satellite transponders failing on one of the sats at 61.5 . Like transponder 18 that went from 59 to 0. This forced DISH to make the decision to either hold up the new hd till another sat could be moved there or to turn it on at 72.7. Since DISH has hd on both 110 and 129 , it wasn't a stretch to see why they put it at 72.7 and 61.5.

I am sure that DISH would of rather put it on 61.5 and they wouldn't of had to upgrade a bunch of subs with mixed dish configurations like the subs with 110/119/61.5. But I am glad that they turned the new hd on.

DISH needs to go ahead and upgrade all mixed dish subs to either western arc or eastern arc and end the support for the mixed dish configurations. The future is either a 1000.2 for western arc or 1000.4 for eastern arc. Your locals decide which arc you are on.

Dude there were satellite transponders failing on one of the sats at 61.5 . Like transponder 18 that went from 59 to 0. This forced DISH to make the decision to either hold up the new hd till another sat could be moved there or to turn it on at 72.7. Since DISH has hd on both 110 and 129 , it wasn't a stretch to see why they put it at 72.7 and 61.5.

I am sure that DISH would of rather put it on 61.5 and they wouldn't of had to upgrade a bunch of subs with mixed dish configurations like the subs with 110/119/61.5. But I am glad that they turned the new hd on.

DISH needs to go ahead and upgrade all mixed dish subs to either western arc or eastern arc and end the support for the mixed dish configurations. The future is either a 1000.2 for western arc or 1000.4 for eastern arc. Your locals decide which arc you are on.

I agree, and that's what I indicated in a post the other day - Have only 2 US arcs to have to worry about, either Western or Eastern, and manage satellites & programming accordingly. :cool:

We keep going round and round with this. It's fine to post opinions, but trying to make opinions masquerade as fact is unwise. Even assuming the transponder failures on 61.5, we've already noted Dish has put up additional HD on 61.5 (granted, DNFYI but it is HD), has said absolutely nothing about their plans for 61.5, E-14, etc. regarding national HD and no evidence has been presented showing that they couldn't have put the new HD on 110/119 temporarily. Therefore, a statement about "forcing Dish to make the decision" is simply speculation. Some of us believe Dish disregarded the effect this would have on part of their customer base, some of us don't. Fine. But repeating speculation doesn't take it any closer to fact.

Last edited:
We live in Raleigh, NC area and currently have two dishes because we have too many tall trees to lock in on one of the sats low on the horizon. I suppose we have the 500 dish, because we are not getting the new HD channels. My question; if I invest the time in talking to DISH, will they ultimately be able to switch out my dishes and give me a solution so I pick up the new channels...and don't lose anything I currently have?

We keep going round and round with this. It's fine to post opinions, but trying to make opinions masquerade as fact is unwise. Even assuming the transponder failures on 61.5, we've already noted Dish has put up additional HD on 61.5 (granted, DNFYI but it is HD), has said absolutely nothing about their plans for 61.5, E-14, etc. regarding national HD and no evidence has been presented showing that they couldn't have put the new HD on 110/119 temporarily. Therefore, a statement about "forcing Dish to make the decision" is simply speculation. Some of us believe Dish disregarded the effect this would have on part of their customer base, some of us don't. Fine. But repeating speculation doesn't take it any closer to fact.

True... Of course, with Dish it's *always* been, "Nothing's gonna happen until it actually happens.", and they usually don't tip their hand on any thoughts or plans they may have. This latest move with the 9 new HD channels is a classic example - Who saw it coming and in the way it did? That being said, we can look at Dish Annual Reports, news releases and other info and make some educated guesses as to the direction things are going. I don't think it's "one size fits all", because ovbviously different locations have different issues, not to mention specialty programming vs. widespread National programming; but it certainly makes sense from a management perspective to try to get different areas of the Country on the same page as to what satellites they will be tuned to. We shall see if that comes to pass.... :p

Just had guys here for a service call because I couldn't get the new HD. They replaced my two dishes with one 1000.2 and cleaned up all the wiring that previous installers had done.

They did a great job, and I'm very happy!

Just had guys here for a service call because I couldn't get the new HD. They replaced my two dishes with one 1000.2 and cleaned up all the wiring that previous installers had done.

They did a great job, and I'm very happy!

DISH is coming today (2/21/10) for the equipment upgrade, between 8 and noon.

$15 was charged to my account for this service.

They installed an eastern arc for me yesterday for free, they also replaced my dp34's with a dpp44 switch. My only issue is that my local sd channels (no HD available yet) are on 110 so I still need that dish or no locals in guide.

True... Of course, with Dish it's *always* been, "Nothing's gonna happen until it actually happens.", and they usually don't tip their hand on any thoughts or plans they may have. This latest move with the 9 new HD channels is a classic example - Who saw it coming and in the way it did? That being said, we can look at Dish Annual Reports, news releases and other info and make some educated guesses as to the direction things are going. I don't think it's "one size fits all", because ovbviously different locations have different issues, not to mention specialty programming vs. widespread National programming; but it certainly makes sense from a management perspective to try to get different areas of the Country on the same page as to what satellites they will be tuned to. We shall see if that comes to pass.... :p

Absolutely, and as confirmation of what you say apparently Charlie has begun the "official" changeover. Great, but I think all I and some others are sayiing is that it would have been more considerate to let subscribers in on his plans and what they needed to do well in advance, or at least once Charlie knew that the new HD wouldn't be on 61.5. While I'm sure it's possible that recent transponder failures accelerated the process a company the size of Dish doesn't make this kind of decision on the spur of the moment.

They claim over 150 now. I have top 250 + hd & platinum +Hbo & showtime. I count 5 hd locals +85 national cable and premium channels that I can actually count or 90 hd channels. Now if you add Starz and Cinemax , Several rsns , pay per views, special sports packs , it is over 160 ,according to another member who actually listed them all in another thread.

I had a live chat with DISH rep yesterday, and an installer on my roof today installing my new 1000.4 dish...can't complain with that kind of service! Everything went great, and I am now enjoying the new HD channels...only cost me $15.

DISH is coming today (2/21/10) for the equipment upgrade, between 8 and noon.

$15 was charged to my account for this service.

Double check your account. I was quoted $15 for the re-point, but when I checked it was actually charging $95.

I contacted the guy I've dealt with in the past at the Executive Resolution Team and he's taking care of it.

I still find it hard to believe that Dish puts HD on a bird that some of us aren't set up for, have every intention of adding more to that bird and yet charge customers to migrate over to the Eastern or Western Arc. That's arrogance for you. If they want to charge me I'll migrate over to the FIOS guy that knocks on my door once a month.

I live in the atlanta area and used to have the 110/119/129 setup... due to how low in the sky 129 is in Atlanta, I lost view of it about a year after subscribing to Dish and had to pay the stupid $95 fee to have them come out and put me on the 110/119/61.5 setup.

Now it looks like i will have no choice but to pay them to come out again and give me a 1000.4 setup because of their screwup! If i didnt have a 1TB external HD full of programming, i'd be tempted to switch to DirecTV just out of spite!

I'm not getting the new HD.

I have a ViP 211 and 119/110/61.5 dishes for Buffalo.

I have what used to be called Turbo HD Silver.

Is the new HD in this package?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)