Can you get the new HD from DISH?

Do you currently receive the new HD channels from DISH?

• Total voters
Just received the new Eastern Arc on Sunday, The tech put the dish on the roof at the back of the house, but left the other two at the front of the house. Do they usually not take the old dishes away?

Just received the new Eastern Arc on Sunday, The tech put the dish on the roof at the back of the house, but left the other two at the front of the house. Do they usually not take the old dishes away?

depends on how nicely you ask, i guess. we are always under pressure to work work work faster faster.

Sunday for me as well. Took the old 110/119 Dish 500 away and OFFERED to take the 61.5 wing as well, but he didn't look too enthused about it. So I just told him to leave the wing since if I left Dish I'd have to have someone go up there anyway and take the 1000.4 down.

My bigger issue is that he put no strut arms on the mast; just took the old Dish 500 off and put the new 1000.4 on. Granted the mast IS bolted to my brick chimney with four lags; regardless, I think a strut or two was in order. But instead of fighting I just figure if the thing breaks or bends I'll just call Dish again; at least at that point the need for additional bracing would be obvious.

Just thought I'd add looking at the polls, It seems a lot didn't have the setups needed.
A lot more then many assumed.

I kind of expected that based on my neighborhhod here in Florida. There are as many 1000.2s as 1000.4s but the total of both those is far less than the 110/119/61.5 setups, including mine. I'm waiting to see what E* does as I really don't want to pay unless I have to and as a last resort I'll do my own install again. Sooner or later I figure they'll have to send notices out to mixed arc subs telling us what to do.

i do get the channels..

before dish went mpeg4, HD customers got a dish 500 and a dish 300 pointed at 61.5 if they wanted all the voom offerings.. so indeed, for a time, hd customers were definitely installed with 110/119/61.5.. but on the other hand, it was only offered in this combo for a very short time.. maybe a year.. b4 that would have been a dish 500 alone, or possibly a superdish, and now a 1000.2.
so in agreeance with dish, only small # of customers have a setup that doesnt receive all the newhd channels..

but still i think dish should have to upgrade all customers for free to receive them..

My bigger issue is that he put no strut arms on the mast; just took the old Dish 500 off and put the new 1000.4 on. Granted the mast IS bolted to my brick chimney with four lags; regardless, I think a strut or two was in order. But instead of fighting I just figure if the thing breaks or bends I'll just call Dish again; at least at that point the need for additional bracing would be obvious.

i have installed countless 1000.4 dishes.. they arent heavy enough to need the struts, and i rarely use them. just my 2 cents.. never had a mast alone fail - EVER..

now the superdish was different.. if you were roof mounting them, struts were required - but still not required on a chimney mount - not if done properly and is secure..

i have installed countless 1000.4 dishes.. they arent heavy enough to need the struts, and i rarely use them. just my 2 cents.. never had a mast alone fail - EVER..

now the superdish was different.. if you were roof mounting them, struts were required - but still not required on a chimney mount - not if done properly and is secure..

Well, OK, it's good to hear from someone who has experience in this area. My neighbor has even a bigger dish, I think they get internationals as well, mounted much like mine, and it's still up there. So we'll see.

Thanks.

BTW, the 110/119/61.5 was offered for much longer than a short time; that may have been the case in your area but that combo was standard issue in my neck of the woods up until about a year ago. EA wasn't even an option for existing subscribers until, well, until Scott let the cat out of the bag about the new HD. No one knows for sure how many subscribers Charlie has made second class but there are reasonable arguments that it can't be described as "small". That's probably why Dish kept the info quiet.

It's not the weight; it's the windage. I have my 500 on a 4ft mast to get over a maple tree, and (years ago) it blew over and fortunately hung up on the gutter or very serious damage to my house would have resulted. Chastened, I put it back and stayed it. But even that was barely adequate because my eyes in the roof nearly pulled out this winter. Winds around these parts can gust over 60mph at least several times/year.

It's not the weight; it's the windage. I have my 500 on a 4ft mast to get over a maple tree, and (years ago) it blew over and fortunately hung up on the gutter or very serious damage to my house would have resulted. Chastened, I put it back and stayed it. But even that was barely adequate because my eyes in the roof nearly pulled out this winter. Winds around these parts can gust over 60mph at least several times/year.

Yea, that's what I was worried about, although my mast looks to be no more than 2 ft. high and is protected (for the most part) by the brick chimney to the north. As I say, my neighbor's (bigger) dish is similarly mounted and hasn't failed yet, and our winds do get as high as 50MPH in gusts.

We're due to get some high winds this weekend so if there's any problem I can call Dish and get them out here again for nothing (since I guess I have an install warranty). Not that I want to do that, of course.....

Hi all:

First post, long time reader. Dish will be comming out Sunday to do a free upgrade to Western arc??? I live in western Pa and currently have 110,119, and 118 with 61.5 on a seperate dish Can't get the 129 bird do to trees. Question wouldn't it be easier to reposition the 61.5 dish to 72.x bird?

Hi all:

First post, long time reader. Dish will be comming out Sunday to do a free upgrade to Western arc??? I live in western Pa and currently have 110,119, and 118 with 61.5 on a seperate dish Can't get the 129 bird do to trees. Question wouldn't it be easier to reposition the 61.5 dish to 72.x bird?

depends. where do you get hd locals?
if 61.5 and you have no los for 129 then you need EA and 500+. if your hd locals are from elsewhere, then i would think 72 would be fine to replace 61.5. i think.

OK, I've gotta a real stupid question. WHAT new HD channel/s? I haven't heard of any new channels for MONTHS. My wife pays that bill, so if the info came in the monthly statement, I've got no idea we ever got any new channels.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)