Can you get the new HD from DISH?

Do you currently receive the new HD channels from DISH?

• Total voters
I get the new channels but not "thanks Dish".... it's THANKS Satellite Guys!! I wouldn't have even known about them but for this site.

And I still had to call and spend a half hour while a CSR tried different things but finally the channels were no longer "red" in the all channel listing.

I get my HD from 129.

Phil

I posted my dissatisfaction on Dish's Facebook page and Jason from Dish called me. They are coming out next week and migrating us to the Eastern Arc. They are also taking my daughter's 625 and replacing it with a 722. It seems on Eastern Arc there isn't a mix of SD and HD service. He even claimed all new accounts were being signed up as one or the other. No mix.

They would have come out tomorrow, but we are supposed to get a Snowacane for 2 days, so I put it off hoping for better weather. He also cleaned up my bill and I am paying less than I was before the increase. All of this cost me nothing, he did say the normal charge is $195, but he waived it. So nice not having to deal with a CSR.

They are also taking my daughter's 625 and replacing it with a 722. It seems on Eastern Arc there isn't a mix of SD and HD service. He even claimed all new accounts were being signed up as one or the other. No mix.

How can they do this when many markets have their HD on 61.5 and their SD channels on 110? Two different arcs and you need both to get all your channels.

How can they do this when many markets have their HD on 61.5 and their SD channels on 110? Two different arcs and you need both to get all your channels.

Someone with more knowledge will have to explain that one, I'm just relaying what was told me. I don't get why either, but my daughter will like the 722 a lot more, since it will give her more chanels than the SD on the 625. And the cost is the same.

Dish tech has come and gone and we are now on the Eastern Arc. Have all the new HD and only 1 dish, nice. The tech was great, and his supervisor even dropped by, nice guys. Both out of the Vineland office, would recommend them to anyone. Thanks Dish.

I'm going down the same path with Super Dave, and am expecting the Dish Tech coming tomorrow to leave me with EA only.

I know that our local HDs are on 61.5 and the SDs on 110, but for the life of me, I don't see why I should be concerned about the loss of the local SDs. Am I missing something here? I can't remember the last time I tuned to one of them.

For me it was mostly the local pbs only available on 110 (my wife loves their news hour) so they just unhooked the 119 lnb and left the 110 as a wing.

For me it was mostly the local pbs only available on 110 (my wife loves their news hour) so they just unhooked the 119 lnb and left the 110 as a wing.

Hmm. Good point. I forgot about that one. I was picking up the OTA PBS Raleigh station pretty well, until they switched to digital. I presume their digital transmitter is in a different location than the old analog one. I'll have to try tweaking the attic antenna tomorrow to see if I can still get it without having to depend on 119.

Last edited:
Just poking around and there are a few ch's on 110 in sd but I did just notice I am getting WGN HD on 110 also. I watch that quite a bit , baseball and basketball

Looks like I will be getting a new dish for $0 this upcoming thursday. I sent a nice little gripe letter to the ceo@echostar.com address and they offered me a $0, no commitment dish upgrade as I would have expected. Yay Dish for doing the right thing for me.

I do hate to say it, but I might not stick with dish beyond my current commitment though. The original $95 they told me to update made me angry enough to look into other options and I found I can cut about $40 off my combined internet/pay tv bill if I go cable (ick), but the cost cut is hard to walk away from with similar service.

The only reason I brought that up though is that I wouldn't even have looked at other options if they would have taken care of me up front. The guy who e-mailed me from the executive team asked me to go through him if I do look to leave in the future, which I will. I'll give them a chance.

Just poking around and there are a few ch's on 110 in sd but I did just notice I am getting WGN HD on 110 also. I watch that quite a bit , baseball and basketball

Lyngsat shows WGN America HD also on 72.7. Don't know yet it it's really there or not, though. I wonder if there's any easy master sheet that shows where all of these channels reside.

I'm going down the same path with Super Dave, and am expecting the Dish Tech coming tomorrow to leave me with EA only.

I know that our local HDs are on 61.5 and the SDs on 110, but for the life of me, I don't see why I should be concerned about the loss of the local SDs. Am I missing something here? I can't remember the last time I tuned to one of them.

Many, myself included, have hybrid SD/HD setups. We have HD downstairs, but SD in the bedroom. We have SD TV in the bedroom and SD receiver for the forseeable future. Need the 110 for the SD locals for that TV and those that aren't in HD for the downstairs TV. We do watch the non HD local channels on the HDTV because we can't get them OTA HD and Dish doesn't do all locals in HD.

Many, myself included, have hybrid SD/HD setups. We have HD downstairs, but SD in the bedroom. We have SD TV in the bedroom and SD receiver for the foreseeable future. Need the 110 for the SD locals for that TV and those that aren't in HD for the downstairs TV. We do watch the non HD local channels on the HDTV because we can't get them OTA HD and Dish doesn't do all locals in HD.

We were in the "same boat" but were thinking of going hd upstairs, so when we upgraded to Eastern Arc, Dish Net replaced the 510 with a 612, no charge, but we did get a 2 year commitment. We do not have a hd tv there yet but pictures look a LOT better! I still insisted they leave the 110 for pbs etc..I find it reassuring that I have it just in case something happens to 61/72 and I need to go back to 119 110

Many, myself included, have hybrid SD/HD setups. We have HD downstairs, but SD in the bedroom. We have SD TV in the bedroom and SD receiver for the forseeable future. Need the 110 for the SD locals for that TV and those that aren't in HD for the downstairs TV. We do watch the non HD local channels on the HDTV because we can't get them OTA HD and Dish doesn't do all locals in HD.

I'm sure you are right about that. I should have mentioned in my entry that my comments were about my own setup, and local conditions.

I have a couple of 722's and all of my local stations, except PBS, have HD channels on Dish. I use the TV1 outputs for HD, and the TV2 outputs to feed the SD sets, so I really don't have any more need for the SD channels.

Actually I am MAD that I can get all the HD channels EXCEPT the new ones because of a tree where a dish for 72 gets pointed.. this is actually going to make me thing about switching.. I dont know if DTV is any better ... FIOS isnt available in my area yet..

I still find it hard to believe that Dish puts HD on a bird that some of us aren't set up for, have every intention of adding more to that bird and yet charge customers to migrate over to the Eastern or Western Arc. That's arrogance for you. If they want to charge me I'll migrate over to the FIOS guy that knocks on my door once a month.

YEP! wont ever be able to get it according to the TECH who was out here today.. so for me, AS SOON as FIOS is available I a going to that.. I dont know when it will be available in my area..

After weeks of tormenting whether or not to call Dish to have them install an Eastern Arc configuration, and very seriously considering just buying a new dish to avoid the frustrations and stresses that always seem to accompany dealing with them, I finally gritted my teeth, and made a call yesterday to the special number they have assigned for this problem.

Surprisingly, I got through to an actual person on the third ring, which was a good sign. Communication with him was a bit choppy, but polite, and after a couple of holds, he assured me that a tech would be at the house between 12 and 5 PM today to do the upgrade. He did inform me that there would be a $15 fee, which I wasn't thrilled about, but it's not worth fighting over, even though I think Dish is way off the mark charging customers to correct what I believe is their own problem.

All well and good, but I had an uneasy feeling that the operator really didn't get much detail on the job to be done, even though I had tried to tell him as specifically as possible, including the need for a 1000.4 EA on the roof, and that it would require a long ladder.

My Dish Tech arrived promptly today at about 12:05 PM. He quickly let me know that he didn't have any idea why he was here. We walked through the current installation together, and I described what I think I need. He did agree that the 1000.4 install on the rear corner of my roof is the only good prospect, but that he couldn't do it today, and would have to arrange for someone else to come out this weekend.

We did have a bit of a winter mix overnight, which is rapidly melting away, so I can see how for safety's sake, it might be best to hold off a bit, especially with the ladder work, and the job is now set up for Sunday afternoon.

I still have that nagging pain in my gut, that I get whenever I am dealing with Dish, and worry that Sunday will bring more frustrating surprises, and that the next tech will either not have his ladder, the dish, or some unexpected new issues will arise that will test me, but maybe that is prior bad experience driving me, and this one will work out just dandy. We'll see.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts