Can you have multiple Hopper 3 tuners in the “watching” mode?

Notagrn

Original poster
Mar 31, 2016
Ohio
Hi,

I’ve been using a 622 DVR with a single TV set for almost 10 years. I just upgraded to a Hooper 3 with the 52.0 remote last week and I’m having some problems learning the new system. The 622 has two turners and they could be set to different channels and each tuner would buffer that last hour of programming. I would use the swap button to switch between the tuners without interrupting the programming of either tuner. It was nice to pause a live TV show and switch to the other tuner to check the score of the big game and then return to the other tuner and start the show where it left off.

Even with 16 tuners, it doesn’t appear that the Hopper 3 can do this. When I go to the TV Activity menu, it shows that Tuner 1 is available, Tuner 2 is “Watching” a channel, and Tuner 3 has CBS, NBC, ABC, and FOX (I’m not using PrimeTime Anytime). If I select Tuner 1, it shows the programming of Tuner 2. If I change the channel of Tuner 1, it switches the channel but the programming of Tuner 2 is lost. It seems like just one Tuner can be in the “Watching” state at a time. I would like to be able to have 5 or 6 tuners in the “Watching” state, on different channels, and switch between them without losing the programming of any tuner.

Dish tech support is telling me that the Hopper 3 cannot operate in this mode. The 16 tuners are meant to be used with additional TVs (with joeys) and for recording multiple events simultaneously. I find it hard to believe that an old 622 can do something that a Hopper 3 cannot.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance for your help.

Hi,

I’ve been using a 622 DVR with a single TV set for almost 10 years. I just upgraded to a Hooper 3 with the 52.0 remote last week and I’m having some problems learning the new system. The 622 has two turners and they could be set to different channels and each tuner would buffer that last hour of programming. I would use the swap button to switch between the tuners without interrupting the programming of either tuner. It was nice to pause a live TV show and switch to the other tuner to check the score of the big game and then return to the other tuner and start the show where it left off.

Even with 16 tuners, it doesn’t appear that the Hopper 3 can do this. When I go to the TV Activity menu, it shows that Tuner 1 is available, Tuner 2 is “Watching” a channel, and Tuner 3 has CBS, NBC, ABC, and FOX (I’m not using PrimeTime Anytime). If I select Tuner 1, it shows the programming of Tuner 2. If I change the channel of Tuner 1, it switches the channel but the programming of Tuner 2 is lost. It seems like just one Tuner can be in the “Watching” state at a time. I would like to be able to have 5 or 6 tuners in the “Watching” state, on different channels, and switch between them without losing the programming of any tuner.

Dish tech support is telling me that the Hopper 3 cannot operate in this mode. The 16 tuners are meant to be used with additional TVs (with joeys) and for recording multiple events simultaneously. I find it hard to believe that an old 622 can do something that a Hopper 3 cannot.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance for your help.

You can swap between tuners using the Input button on the left side of the 52.0 remote. You can also watch and buffer up to 4 things at once using PIP and selecting MultiView.

d Tuner 3 has CBS, NBC, ABC, and FOX (I’m not using PrimeTime Anytime).
The ability to have the 4 network use 1 tuner is a separate ability from PTAT so you don't need to have PTAT on.
This indicates you do indeed have PTAT turned on.
NO it doesn't, the ability to use a single tuner for the networks is not PTAT.
PTAT is the ability to RECORD the 4 networks automatically during prime time without needed to set up a separate timer for each show using the Hoppers ability to use a single tuner.

Reactions: peggy97850
You can swap between tuners using the Input button on the left side of the 52.0 remote. You can also watch and buffer up to 4 things at once using PIP and selecting MultiView.
The Input button works well, it is similar to the swap button on the 622, thanks! The main difference I noticed is that the tuner automatically starts playing the program even if it was paused before.
Can you use MultiView to do the same action with 4 tuners, having the channel full screen of course.

The Input button works well, it is similar to the swap button on the 622, thanks! The main difference I noticed is that the tuner automatically starts playing the program even if it was paused before.
Can you use MultiView to do the same action with 4 tuners, having the channel full screen of course.

Yes. With MultiView you can have 4 tuners paused or playing. Press Select on whichever one you want to go full screen. Then you press Input again to go back to MultiView. Enjoy. :)