can you have two dual receivers?

leix26

Original poster
Sep 15, 2011
Michigan
Can you have two dual receivers in the house? Will the new receiver come set up on a different
frequency for tv2?

If it matters my current equipment is 5 years old with no dvr or HD. I tried finding the info on
Dish's website but could not find it, from reading on here it sounds like I can.
Thanks

You can most definitely have more than 1 dual tuner receiver in the house, but the receivers will come initially set to the same remote addresses. Your installer will change the address on the 2nd receiver so no worries.

Thanks for the quick response. I do have a follow up question.

This is for a cottage up north so there are a lot of trees and the dish is about 80 feet from the cottage. The last time I had a tech there he would not bury the cable so I did it myself. I also am going to run the cable into the attic and then down the inside of the walls. So I was thinking if I am going to be running and burying cable anyway I might as well do it all. The dish is a 500 and looks like it should be a dual head with one cable running to the current dual receiver. Is this just a matter of mirroring the current line? In that I mean: new line to new receiver where it splits (I know it is not called a splitter but looks like one) and then the line to tv2, mirror settings on receiver and then figure out how to set remote for tv2.

Thanks for your time.

Normal setup would be two cables run from the 500 w/DishPro Plus twin LNB to each receiver. If you plan on running two dual receivers and you have only one buried cable, then that is not going to work. If one or both of the dual receivers are HD, then you will need 2 cables (one for each receiver) and a different dish, such as the 1000.2. If you need the 1000.n for HD channels, then I would bury 3 cables just to cover all possibilities for the future.

Thanks for the reply. I was planning on having to bury a new cable to service the new receiver. I have no need or desire for HD or DVR. I just looked online at pictures of LNB's and from memory it seems I have Dishpro twin or a Legacy Dish 500 quad or a Dishpro plus. I am not at the cottage now so I going from memory, but the LNB has two round white caps. Would the fact that I have one cable going to a dual receiver mean that it is a Dishpro plus LNB?

So assuming that I have a twin LNB is the installation just a mirror of the current receiver?
Thanks

Would the fact that I have one cable going to a dual receiver mean that it is a Dishpro plus LNB? So assuming that I have a twin LNB is the installation just a mirror of the current receiver?
Yes that's right. ;) If by "mirror" you mean run another cable to the DishPro Plus twin back to the separator on the 2nd receiver, then "Yes", that's right too.

You can have a second dual tuner if you are willing to pay $17.00 for a 622/722/722k or $10.00 for a 612. I personally consider anything over $7.00, for each extra receiver, pure highway robbery.

Thanks guys for your time.
I was thinking of just a 322 receiver, but I assume that is also $17. If I want to wire the other 2 bedrooms I do not see any other options but pay. Since it is almost winter here in Michigan I have till spring to decide.
Thanks

Price breakdown: Dual tuner dvr (as mentioned before) is $17... Dual tuner receiver is $14... Single tuner box: $7, Single tuner dvr $10.

Put more simply, it's $7 per individual tuner (after the first receiver), and if that receiver has a dvr in it, that's an extra $3. So 2x 311's (or 211's etc) are $7 per month. A 612/512 (Single tuner with dvr) is $10 and dual tuner (Multi-tv) receivers are $7 per tv ($14) and if it's a dvr box (522/625/622/722/etc) it's $17. I do hope this clears up a few things. ....ok well it's simpler to me when I think about it that way anyway.

Also, there are certain specials available right now toward the "purchase" of SD dvr's right now. The only real way to find out if you qualify for them is to call an ask. Honestly, if you are buying receivers, i suggest getting single tuner boxes, they are much easier to install, requiring littlle to no special hardware other than good RG6 coax.

The 813 receiver is rumored to be available first quarter next year, and may be a better sollution for you, so it may be of benefit to wait.

Oh, and for anyone still paying a tv2 connection fee. Sign up for autopay, paperless billing, put an email adress on file, then call in and demand the fee be removed.

Yes that's right. ;) If by "mirror" you mean run another cable to the DishPro Plus twin back to the separator on the 2nd receiver, then "Yes", that's right too.

Getting the separator is a $10 order from dish, though radio shack is supposed to carry it. Just be prepared to run a separate cable for tv2 unless you know where to buy a diplexor, it's not a dish product but comes in very handy for reducing the number of cables you have to run overall. Diplexors are also the leading cause of confusion among those who decide they want to swap the receiver between tv1 and tv2. (It's easy guys, find the one outside/in the basement/attic and swap in/out with uhf/vhf)