Can you see HD channels on a SD TV

mjschuyler

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Sep 25, 2003
If I had a dish at 61.5 or 121 and subscribed to the HD package, would I be able to see the HD channels with a standard receiver such as a 508 or 721 on a standard definition TV?

I have seen HD demo channels at Sears and it seems like they were on SD TV's as well as the HD TV's.

Thanks
Murray

If I had a dish at 61.5 or 121 and subscribed to the HD package, would I be able to see the HD channels with a standard receiver such as a 508 or 721 on a standard definition TV?
No, you need a HDTV receiver to downconvert HD for display on a standard television.

You can how ever connect a HDTV receiver such as a 6000/811/921 to a SDTV via S-Video or Composite connections. This would allow you to watch HDTV programming on a SD television. It would be down converted and actually looks very good. Usually better than SD programming on a SD Television.

I use the Composite output to connect to my VCR so I can record programming. It will record HDTV programming but of course sacrificing resolution and color brilliance when its downconverted.

But a SD receiver such as a 508 or 721 is not capable of decoding the HDTV programming signal. Thats why the HD STBs are more expensive.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)