Can you still "move" to NYC and get the east networks?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

darrencp22

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 10, 2007
Lockport, NY (Buffalo Suburb)
A long time ago I "moved" to NYC and was able to get NBCE, ABCE, etc. Is this still possible? I recall it was a simple as calling up and asking the service address be updated. Any info or advice is appreciated.

As a side benefit, satellite taxes in NY are rather low. Unfortunately the regional sports fee makes up for that.

I've always wondered how this works exactly. Do you use someone's address that you know in the area you're "moving" to? What if you don't know anyone in that area? How does this work?

I've always wondered how this works exactly. Do you use someone's address that you know in the area you're "moving" to? What if you don't know anyone in that area? How does this work?

For me, I gave D* the address where I used to live (I get the NYC locals, but living in Harrisburg, I am under the spotbeam except for channel 49 from Connecticut) in a small little town. No doubt I took a risk as I was gambling that the current tenants don't have the service.

In the past years I've gotten locals from different cities where I had friends live - i just asked the friend if I could use their address and explained why, and that they won't get anything in the mail (you tell D* that your mailing address has not changed, but the SERVICE ADDRESS is changing).

(you tell D* that your mailing address has not changed, but the SERVICE ADDRESS is changing).

Doesn't that send up a red flag for D*? Do you tell them that you have two homes? Don't they have a way of telling whether that service address actually has D*?

Doesn't that send up a red flag for D*? Do you tell them that you have two homes? Don't they have a way of telling whether that service address actually has D*?
Yes, thats why you make sure its someone that does NOT already have D*, they will check thier database fro service at that address I am sure.

Many people give them an apt address or an address like 123 Main 1/2. if there is not a 1/2 at that location your pretty well set.

I can't seem to locate the D* spot beams for Virginia. I'm 2 hours south of D.C. (Charlottesville) and want to receive those channels but I'm not sure I'm in that spot beam area.

Doesn't that send up a red flag for D*? Do you tell them that you have two homes?
what little they know the better
Why would it set up a red flag if the addresses aren't the same? Most companies don't care where the bill is sent as long as they get paid.

Don't they have a way of telling whether that service address actually has D*?
yes. Thats why fudge the address number a bit. My buddy lived at 820 87th Ave W....I used 822 87th Ave W ;)

I just went on Zillow, picked a random town in the market I wanted to 'move' to and found a plot of land that was for sale with no house on it. Got the address of the plot of land, called up D* told them I wanted to change my service address but keep my billing address the same as it was, told then the address of the vacant plot of land, and within two or three minutes of hanging up the phone I was switched over. Last November when I needed to schedule a service call, I had to 'move' back to my real address. Now both my service address and billing address are the same, and nearly a year later I am still receiving my 'moved' locals.

To the OP, as you probably know since you've done it before, if you 'move' to NYC you'll be blacked out of Sabres games on MSG unless you subscribe to NHL CI. That is part of the reason why I 'moved' from Buffalo to Rochester. I'm still in Sabres territory, and I get to see the downstate teams blackout free.

KISS.

Find vacant land, apartment building, rv park whatever for sale. Get address. Add an apartment number or letter to it. Give it to D*.

Hi, I'm moving to X. I have everything setup and noticed my local stations aren't working. Everything is setup and works perfectly but the local stations I think I need to change my address with you guys or something for it to work.

Ok, I can help you with that, what is the new address.

Give. My billing address isn't changing at this time.

You should be all set.

Yup the stations are coming in now, thank you so much my wife would kill me if we miss blah blah show tonight.

Well I called to do my move, the rep told he needed to do a work order and send a tech to check everything was working fine, I told him everything was up and running, but he insisted on sending a tech, he would waive the install fee and I had to pay only a service fee of 19.95. Did procedure change or was this guy just giving me a hard time. Anybody had this experience?

Did they offer to change it when you were on the phone, or were they going to refuse to change it until the tech came out? You could try another customer service rep, your luck might be different. DirecTV is pickier about address changes, etc than Dish Network is. Or if you can get them to change it now, you could always call in and cancel the service call with another rep.

Refuse, tell him to change your service address and if he can't do that say I'm sorry I don't have time right now to do this I'll call back later. You don't need to spend a day off work for some idiot to verify that your system already works.

Call back and get someone else.

Reactions: Troch77
All I did was change the Zip and county, and Boom good to go.

You are giving them way to much info.
But it is a little easier for me because my county line is 2 different dmas, and I'm only a 1/4 mile from the boarder.
So I just say my same address , and just change the town name to my bordering town, and use the Zip from there.

Many years ago I was able to switch my service address via email with DirecTV - not sure if that is still the case. I did this after several attempts of calling in and hearing "I've changed it, you are all set."

It was extremely easy and much more effective than calling in.

Many years ago I was able to switch my service address via email with DirecTV - not sure if that is still the case. I did this after several attempts of calling in and hearing "I've changed it, you are all set."

It was extremely easy and much more effective than calling in.

They won't allow it via email when I tried but calling isn't hard for it. Less than 2 minutes if you don't tell them much. Heck let them change your billing address too ... You can change it back yourself online.

They won't allow it via email when I tried but calling isn't hard for it. Less than 2 minutes if you don't tell them much. Heck let them change your billing address too ... You can change it back yourself online.
Or you could opt for online billing and then just pay the bill when you get the email notifying you of the amount...

Status
Please reply by conversation.