Can you use 2 HDTVs with a 622?

FunkyBoss

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Mar 23, 2004
Chicagoland, IL
Is anyone here feeding 2 HDTVs with a 622? I am buying a second HDTV for another room in my basement and would like to hook it up to the 622 my other HDTV is already hooked up to. My existing set is hooked up using HDMI. For my second HDTV I will be getting, it appears my options are as follows:

- Hook it up using really long component cables. I will get an HD signal, but it will be the same thing that is showing on TV1, correct? Meaning, I can't watch a different program on TV2 then is being shown on TV1?

- Hook it up using the RF output from the TV2 on the 622. Now, I get to watch a different program then TV1 is watching, but it'll always be SD, correct? I have another 622 in the house set up like this, but my second TV on that one is an older SD 4:3 TV, so I don't care about HD on the TV2 in that situation.

- Do both of the above? Then, on TV2, if I want to watch the same thing as TV1, it'll be in HD, otherwise I can always "settle" for an SD signal of something different then what TV1 is watching.

So is there any other way to watch two different HD programs on two HDTVs using a single 622? It seems odd they can't allow the extra tuner to output to HD seeing as how there are multiple HD outputs on the box (component and HDMI).

TV2 only has 480i composite and RF out. TV1 Component and HDMI can drive 2
HDTV's simutanously with same program, not independent hd channel viewing

You had it right. Use component to watch HDTV and run the RF to watch two different programs, although you will only get SD from the RF. I'd do both if I could. I'm sure that allowing the box to show two different HD feeds would add additional cost to the box, when not many will use that feature. Your other option is to get the 211 or an additional 622 for the second set, but that adds a few dollars/month to your account. Good luck!

I'm about to do the same thing and someone on this board had a good recommendation...use component for HD at the local set where the receiver is at, then use HDMI for the second room, this way you only have to run 1 cable. Or, you can get an HDMI y-splitter and use HDMI for both. monoprice.com has the y-splitters, cheap cables, and repeaters if you're going a long distance.

I have done this. I have BOTH the RF for "dual mode" viewing and a 100' of component ran for "single mode" HD viewing. I couldn't be happier! The feed to TV2 looks just as good, if not better than TV1. TV2 being an 32" LCD and TV1 being a 46" DLP. I woud HIGHLY recommend doing both unless you live alone or won't ever want both TVs to watch two different things.

I'll have to disagree with the above poster. While I understand the merit in how much easier it is to run 1 HDMI rather than component with 5xRCAs, I would recommend running component. For one, I got 100' of component cable for about $40! 100' of HDMI will be well over $100. Secondly, I think it is VERY important to not ignore the fact that HDMI has been extremely buggy with the 622. If the HDMI fails, you'll have to end up running the component anyways. If the component is already ran, you can just get a component distribution amp. It will save the time and effort of pulling HDMI and running more cables!

I'm about to do the same thing and someone on this board had a good recommendation...use component for HD at the local set where the receiver is at, then use HDMI for the second room, this way you only have to run 1 cable. Or, you can get an HDMI y-splitter and use HDMI for both. monoprice.com has the y-splitters, cheap cables, and repeaters if you're going a long distance.

That would be me. I have a 622 split between the home theater room and an LCD flat panel in our game room. We have a 622 and an XBOX 360 in the theater room closet. We use 3 10-meter cable runs between the two rooms. Two 5-wire component video and one HDMI. One set of components goes to the XBOX so we can play games and watch HD DVDs in the game room. THe other components go to TV2 for now, using just 3 wires. In the future I will connect a Blu-ray to the 2nd component cables. I split the HDMI signal with a 1 x 2 splitter. Got everything at monoprice for a bit more than $200.

Splitter: http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...&cs_id=1011301&p_id=3049&seq=1&format=2&style=

And I would note that the TV2 output over coax is not HD due to copyright concerns.

Question for ClevelandRob?

If you sent the long run to the other room via component, what did you use for the local set, HDMI? Or did you get some type of component splitter? Also, did you have to add any type of repeater/amplifier for the 100' run of component cable? monoprice has a 'premium' 18 gauge component cable w/ audio for less than $90. I concerned w/ making this long of a run without some type or repeater. The HDMI cable I was looking into had a repeater built it, or you can readily find inline repeaters.

Regarding the bugginess with the HDMI output, it seems to me that if these are leased receivers from Dish and the main HD output quits working or doesnt work correctly that they should swap out the box or offer some type of fix for the problem.

My 2nd TV off my 622 is a Sharp Aquos EDTV in my kitchen (fed via the coax on the 2nd TV output). I never thought I would want or need an EDTV, but this is the perfect application for one. All my HD channels look great on this set!

asmcbride:
Every home is different and interference can come in many forms. I bought the "lower end" 100' component cables from monoprice for $40. I'm no expert on cables, but the sheilding on these must be pretty good because I was able to run them through my laundry room, underneath some stairs, through two closets, through my living room, into a bedroom, into the attic, down through a closet and into my bedroom and my LCD! This was all done through my walls of a 40 year old home for about $50 shipped!

I am currently running HDMI for my TV1. I don't want a second 622 because I love having one place to schedule shows and play them back. I had HDMI fail on me before this project and had the hassle of waiting for a new box, setting all my preferences and rescheduling my 50 or so timers! If it fails again, I will just borrow a component distribution amp from work. You can also buy one online, at Radio Shack or ebay. They can take a component signal (with audio) and split it to send it to a few HDTVs. This is what a lot of electronic stores use to send HD to all their TVs on display.

There is definately a night and day difference between the RF output and HD! I don't know how it looks on an EDTV, but your HD content needs to be displayed in all it's glory if you have 2 HDTVs!

Hey, thanks for all the great responses!

I had originally thought of going HDMI for my longer run to TV2 and doing component to TV1 so I only had a single cable run, but like Cleveland said, it was way cheaper to go with a 50-foot component cable from monoprice. I hope I measured correctly... :eek:

I just got the cable and TV mounting kit today and I'll be picking up the TV this weekend. We'll see how it goes!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)