Canada crtc rules cable companies must offer pick and pay channels-25-basic

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
I will disagree. It certainly would, and could, work in the USA. If the FCC were to institute an ala-carte rule the very first thing that would happen is dozens of junk channels would disappear and networks that have bundled in those junk channels in order to demand more money from carriers would be in a buyer's market, a place they don't want to be. The idea that the remaining channels would cost $$ is the propoganda the industry is trying to sell and it doesn't fly. As mentioned above, back when programming was ala-carte it was very cost friendly. It wasn't until ESPN and others forced bundling on the industry that consumer costs sky-rocketed. Hurrah for Canada and come on FCC!

A lot of channels used to be good, but now we could do away with at least 2/3 of them and I wouldn't notice. Reality shows and rerun marathons (and rerun marathons of reality shows) dominate basic cable if you're not a sports fan. I'd love to be able to pick a could channels or tiny "packs" vs 60 channels and only watching 6-7 of them. At least for now I have a completely sports-free lineup.

Reactions: danristheman
Depends where you are of course, but in this area Bell's channel 7 VHF transmission can likely reach 50mi or so into MN/ND along the border if using a good antenna at a decent height.

Local FOX transmitter is only a few hundred feet from the border (US side of course) and can broadcast 80+mi into MB if they turn up the power a bit. I would really like to see Prairie Public Broadcasting (PBS) share that tower too... but CRTC might get angry... but then who cares how angry they get, it's a few hundred feet out of their jurisdiction. :)

Reactions: Mr Tony
Ahhh, yes. The KCND site. IIRR less than a quarter mile from the border.
What I don't understand is why PBS's (real ch 15) PSIP ch 2-3, is co-located at the same site as their ch 16 Tx.?? Transmits same programming as 16-1 (IIRR)
2.3 KGFE 1.8 kW TPO + 14.13 dB gain = 22.6 kW ERP No sig on .1 or .2
16.x KCGE (5.5 kW TPO + 13.62 dB gain = 105 kW ERP Tx's 16.1 thru 16.4
All of KGFE's signal is withing the KCGE 'footprint'.
I'm beginning to wonder if this thread isn't moved to the OTA section>>>???
animated.gif

Is WDAZ still the default ABC station on many pay-tv systems in Manitoba? Or at least the Red River Valley region, including Winnipeg? When I lived in NW Minnesota about a decade ago and WDAZ was my local ABC station, I seem to recall the Canadian media conglomerates perpetually uneasy about a station as close as WDAZ being viewable on cable across southeastern Manitoba. They always feared WDAZ chasing after Manitoban advertising dollars. Other American broadcast networks weren't a concern since they were imported from much farther away.

As for KGFE, that station essentially became redundant when its original channel 2 analog tower west of Grand Forks came down in an ice storm back in 2004, I believe. Rather than rebuild an analog facility that would be worthless in a few years due to the digital transition, Prairie Public opted to build digital KMDE near Minnewaukan, ND to serve the western part of the former KGFE viewing area, and digital KCGE near Euclid, MN to serve the eastern part, including Grand Forks. Once all of this shook out, rather than give up the now-unnecessary KGFE license, Prairie Public seemingly slapped the station onto the tower KCGE uses, thereby causing KCGE and KGFE to essentially have overlapping coverage areas, but nevertheless allowing Prairie Public to keep the KGFE license without having to build or rent an additional tower.

I've always wondered if Prairie Public ever had some kind of long-term goal in mind by doing this, but, I don't believe they've ever said anything. Moving the station to the KNRR tower would be a great idea, since that would provide OTA coverage to people in North Dakota and Manitoba who don't currently get reliable OTA coverage (Prairie Public has never really shied away from acknowledging they have viewers, and, more importantly, donors, in Manitoba, due to being on many cable systems there). Although Prairie Public would probably have to push paperwork to get KGFE's city of license (Grand Forks) changed. Even with the flat terrain, the KNRR tower is probably too far away for any TV station to reach Grand Forks with a strong enough signal.

Regrettably WDAZ is not carried by the local cable, was replaced by a Spokane WA station KXLY a few years ago as well as PBS KSPS from the same town. Maybe they can add them now with this new "a la carte" but I don't see them on the menu so far. Suppose if enough of their customers requested...

I do get several "copies" of local PBS broadcasts, especially during an inversion, and noted the overlapping coverages and find that a bit odd too. Agreed the coverage from Pembina would not be adequate for the Grand Forks area. A separate transmitter would be required there. Maybe co-locate with CBS/NBC on the tower between Grand Forks and Fargo to cover both markets? But there's the Barnsville tower just SE of Fargo, maybe there is a PBS there already?

Not sure if it would be worth while for PBS to switch their equipment to the Pembina tower, not that many OTA viewers up here anymore. I'm guessing KNRR viewership in Manitoba would number in the 100's, not 1000's or more. Most residents where told to remove their TV antennas when cable/satellite was installed, many have no idea that OTA broadcasts still exist.

Yes this discussion has more to do with OTA than satellite... :)

This week the CRTC chairman publicly scolded the president of Bell who tried to influence how CTV news (owned by Bell) reported on this issue.

Nope, that's FM 89.3 KUND Which also doesn't make much sense as it's the lowest point in the valley. Doesn't get much past Crookston nor past the ridge to the west.
EDIT: can also fade out while driving within Grand Forks. Especially the downtown area. But I would venture there's more listening at home.

Last edited:
I don't know about it but I read WRTH book saying Norway and Finland has a agreement allowing 2 countrynetworks go deep in the countrys via OTA and FTA sat.:) Just few yaer back.

To me it makes no sense that WDAZ had to be 'pulled' from cable in Manatoba. And had to be replaced with, basically, an out of market station. There used to be a lot of Canadian advertising on 'DAZ. Now it's rare. Has the advertising moved to the 'replacement' networks?

Many years ago, you could get KXJB-CBS, KVLY-NBC and WDAZ-ABC on cable in Winnipeg.
KXJB and KVLY were tough to receive reliably without the use of a microwave system, because their transmitters were about 40 miles south of Grand Forks. WDAZ transmits from Petersburg, and gets an acceptable off-air signal significantly onto Manitoba airspace. A decision was made to supply WCCO-CBS and KARE-NBC from Minneapolis, transmit it in a C-band encoded mode on Anik F1R, and supply those choices instead to target cable markets from Thunder Bay westward into Saskatchewan. These two Minneapolis stations were never added to Shaw Direct or Bell Expressvu for direct consumer subscription, however. Instead you had a cable or satellite choice of either Detroit or Boston market stations for East Coast U.S. networks. So N.D. stations such as PPT and WDAZ are all that remains, and only delivered to select Manitoba cable systems.

In 1975, KCND-12 was shut down in Pembina, and CKND-9 went on the air in Winnipeg in its place, becoming the beginning of the CanWest Global Network (now known as Global to most Canadians). This happened at the same time as a determination by Revenue Canada that no longer allowed Canadian businesses to take a tax deduction for ads presented on stations transmitted from outside of Canada. KVRR-Fox Fargo expanded into the northern Red River Valley with channel 10 targeting Grand Forks (same tower as used by PBS 15 and 16), and an affiliate using the same channel 12 location as KCND once had over a decade earlier. Channel 12 never made much money, at least from its Manitoba targeted audience, who could only pick it up off the air directly.
After the US digital transition, channel 12 was off the air from June until late fall 2009, because of hesitation to even bother building out a digital facility, and the expense involved. It went ahead, but there is still a very small viewership mostly owing to lack of carriage on Winnipeg cable systems, and a shrunken coverage pattern for the digital signal compared to former analog coverage into all parts of Winnipeg.

What really sucks is the extremely limited coverage that Winnipeg digital TV signals have after transition from analog. 3, 6 and 9 went to UHF channels 51, 27 and 40. They start dropping into oblivion halfway to the border, just past Morris. CKY-CTV 7 has its transmitter at Ste Agathe, some 25 miles south of Winnipeg, and its digital coverage does cross the border. Analog formerly worked on fringe antennas to within about 25 miles north of Grand Forks, but digital is going to be tougher to get. Solid coverage may be 65 miles from the transmitter, with increased distances only doable with elevated highly directional VHF antennas and preamps, in what is probably once of the flattest land areas on the planet. Of course you can also get it in HD on C-band FTA from 107.3 West!

To me it makes no sense that WDAZ had to be 'pulled' from cable in Manatoba. And had to be replaced with, basically, an out of market station. There used to be a lot of Canadian advertising on 'DAZ. Now it's rare. Has the advertising moved to the 'replacement' networks?

I don't watch the "replacement" networks up here, watch the US networks via OTA or FTA. I suspect Bell/Shaw add local commercials to these channels so we are not "exposed" to US advertizing. Would be interesting if someone in Winnipeg were to order a pizza from Spokane... Might be some extra delivery charges... fuel etc.. Would be really cool if they delivered within the 1/2 hour time limit though!

The transmitter at St Agathe (CKY/Bell) has a new and very high gain VHF antenna that utilizes elliptical polarity favoring horizontal, and I believe they are at maximum allowable ERP with their system unless it was turned down recently. The elliptical polarity is supposed to help penetrate urban environments with all the multipath etc. Likely doesn't do any favors for the signal range-wise...

As Mike notes above, the CBC and CKND changed to UHF and have moved their transmission site from Starbuck to downtown Winnipeg from the 900' tower they were on originally. They are very limited to their power output because of RF exposure regulations and interference issues. The re-location has been a nightmare for many RF based services located downtown, and a nightmare for the broadcast engineers trying to make it all work. The DTV signals barely reach outside the city now, so their OTA systems cover the only urban area in Manitoba that has cheap basic cable... Figure that one out...

Thought that antenna system at Oslo was for an FM system but it says Prairie Public on the side so I just guessed it had DTV too. Agreed on the placement, could have found some better elevation for that one.

"Many years ago, you could get KXJB-CBS, KVLY-NBC and WDAZ-ABC on cable in Winnipeg."
I still get them here quite often on a small home made antenna at 40' on my tower but break up badly during the daytime. Incredible LOS on the broadcast tower they are located on, hate to be the one to have to change the top light bulb on that one... :p

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)