canada has strict rules for satellite radio

Beagle

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Jan 5, 2005
i had a canadian customer tell me today that he is getting a sirius subscription but with a u.s address because he wants to listen to howard stern,i told him that canada will have its own sirius satellite radio service soon.then he told me that because of canada's tough rules regarding radio that howard stern would never be allowed on the air in canada,even on satellite radio. if he is right a lot of canadian radio customers will be subscribing with a u.s address.

In 1997 or so, CHOM 97.7 in Montréal used to carry Howard Stern. I used to listen to him on there. Then it was picked up by 106.7 WIZN here in Vermont and then it dissappeared off CHOM. Not sure why the Montréal station cancelled it.

From what I've read of the channel comparison, I'd certainly wonder why I'd want a Canadian XM over the US version. We're stuck with all the french channels down here as well (and, rather stupidly IMHO, taking away good channels like World Zone and Ngoma).

That is the Communist Canadian government for ya.

They say what you can watch and listen to. They require all PayTv providers to have a specified minimum Canadian content. Sounds like Communism to me.

Definately not a Free Market System.

Any Canadians recently try setting up a U.S. Sirius subscription?

I have a US Mailing address, and canadian issued US Dollar Visa, thinking of giving it a try.......Can i activate over the internet at a US internet connection?

On the Sirius Howard 100 channel they have been asking people to report Opie and Anthony to the CRTC if they do anything which they coonsider indecent.

Personally I believe both stern and O&A should air in Canada. Hell in Canada when the Osbornes were popular they aired uncensored up there. :)

Iceberg said:
yep. I heard Stern wont be on Sirius Canada
But you got your own channel!

Bandeapart // Ch. 93 - A unique, cutting-edge perspective on the emerging French-language music scene.

CBC Radio 3 // Ch. 94 - The place to hear the best in new Canadian music first.

Iceberg Radio // Ch. 95 – An eclectic blend of adult alternative Canadian music.

CBC Radio One // Ch. 137 - National and international news and award-winning documentaries that spotlight Canada’s cultural, social, political and regional diversity.

Premiere Plus // Ch. 138 – Thought-provoking news covering current affairs at home and abroad.

http://www.sirius.com/servlet/ContentServer?pagename=Sirius/Page&c=FlexContent&cid=1132697119269

Shawn

Scott Greczkowski said:
Personally I believe both stern and O&A should air in Canada. Hell in Canada when the Osbornes were popular they aired uncensored up there. :)

Scott
Have you seen "Trailer Park Boys" on Showcase?
Blows the Osbournes out of the water when it comes to censoreship (or no censorship) :)

Iceberg said:
Scott
Blows the Osbournes out of the water when it comes to censoreship (or no censorship) :)

No kidding, Iceberg! This is the major reason I've been watching CDN TV for the last five years! They do seem to be obsessed with violence though. Have you noticed the warnings, "The following program contains scenes of violence...." at the beginning of *every* segment of a show? After the first one, I get it already! No need to keep telling me! :rolleyes:

they do that on alot of shows

Wrestling is another one

I caught TPB during the freeview in September and I havent stopped watching :)

Iceberg said:
they do that on alot of shows
Wrestling is another one
I caught TPB during the freeview in September and I havent stopped watching :)

Hey Ice I bought seasons 1-4 TPB off of Amazon (they had them all in a pack for about 120$) and they have all kinds of scenes that they didn't have time for in the show...plus some have commentary. I hope that showcase shows the Xmas show around Xmas.

As far as stern I don't understand why he is not on in Ca because the one refreshing thing I have noticed about their TV is that the crtc isn't too uptight about what airs (unless it is violence...they cut up mad max pretty bad). I don't think you could get away with TPB or even Air farce here in the USA its too offensive (but hilarious). I just think that Stern is the fcc's whipping boy....maybe he ought to give some money to the politicians like cheap channel does ;)

Showcase is showing the Christmas show on Christmas Eve

from showvase site

Premieres
Saturday, December 24
at 9 pm et/pt

Also airing:
Sunday, December 25
at 9 pm et/pt

Monday, December 26
at 9 pm et/pt

Thursday, December 29th
at 9pm et/pt

Saturday, December 31
at 9 pm et/pt

Monday, January 1
at 9 pm et/pt

I just saw episode 1 last night :)

Stern is not on in Canada because Sirius Canada decided not to add him initially. The CRTC allows 9 US stations for every Canadian station. I guess Sirius Canada felt that the other 90 stations were more important than Howards 2 channels. In the spring, they will either add another Canadian station, therefore bringing in 9 more US stations including Howard, or axe 1 or 2 US channels from the Canadian lineup for 1 or 2 channels of Howard. One way or the other, Stern will be on Spring '06 in Canada.

As far as the TPB, they are coming out with a movie next summer which will be released in the US and Canada. There's a website with a teaser trailer on it. http://www.tpbmovie.com

Iceberg said:
Scott

woot trailer park boys

VO1ONE said:
Stern is not on in Canada because Sirius Canada decided not to add him initially. The CRTC allows 9 US stations for every Canadian station. I guess Sirius Canada felt that the other 90 stations were more important than Howards 2 channels. In the spring, they will either add another Canadian station, therefore bringing in 9 more US stations including Howard, or axe 1 or 2 US channels from the Canadian lineup for 1 or 2 channels of Howard. One way or the other, Stern will be on Spring '06 in Canada.
As far as the TPB, they are coming out with a movie next summer which will be released in the US and Canada. There's a website with a teaser trailer on it. http://www.tpbmovie.com

I'll see if I can dig up the article, but I am fairly certain that a Sirius exec said they decided not to put him on in canada because they said they would just be forced to take him off anyway.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)