Canada replacing cloth money bills with plastic for security

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've always wondered why the US hasn't done similar. Or start over and go all plastic, possibly replacing coins and paper.

I have often wondered why the US hasn't forced the dollar coin the same way that great Britiain did with the pound. Simply stop printing dollars. The current bill costs too much and has too short a lifetime. Probably reaching the point where the $5 should be a coin as well.

I'm one of those nuts that gets and spends dollar coins. I think the govt is afraid of a backlash if the dollar bill went away. Too much emotion there, too much concern over that being a sign of inflation.

I wish we could do away with physical money altogether. Go to a 100% electronic currency and forget about it. Other than for haircuts (as my barber is cash only) I haven't touched a physical dollar bill in three years. There's simply no need for it. Going 100% electronic would have many benefits including, I believe overall less crime. Since everything would be logged and there’d be a paper trail people would think twice if they choose to purchase illegal stuff. And if they go ahead and do it anyway, guess what, you’re busted. Plus I don’t see the friendly neighborhood crack dealer accepting Visa and MasterCard anytime soon. With no physical currency illegal activities like drug dealing, illegal weapons distribution, prostitution, illegal gambling, under the table jobs and all the like would take a big hit and we’d all be better off.

Steve Mehs said:
I wish we could do away with physical money altogether. Go to a 100% electronic currency and forget about it. Other than for haircuts (as my barber is cash only) I haven't touched a physical dollar bill in three years. There's simply no need for it. Going 100% electronic would have many benefits including, I believe overall less crime. Since everything would be logged and there’d be a paper trail people would think twice if they choose to purchase illegal stuff. And if they go ahead and do it anyway, guess what, you’re busted. Plus I don’t see the friendly neighborhood crack dealer accepting Visa and MasterCard anytime soon. With no physical currency illegal activities like drug dealing, illegal weapons distribution, prostitution, illegal gambling, under the table jobs and all the like would take a big hit and we’d all be better off.

And every purchase you make will be tracked and in at least one database. Privacy advocates would go nuts.

Not to mention, what happens during a natural disaster and electronic communications in an area are seriously hampered? Or if the system is hacked or brought down?

I don't think we've advanced enough to forgo physical currency altogether. But, it wouldn't surprise me if that happened sometime during my lifetime.

In the meantime, get rid of pennies and dollar bills and introduce one and two dollar coins.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

In Europe, specifically Germany, there are one, two, and five Euro coins. Makes sense to me.....

I've been to Canada a lot, and hate not having the dollar bill anymore. You pocket quickly gets weighed down with heavy change.

Also lived in Japan where the smallest bill was 1000 yen (around $10), the 500 yen had just been replaced by a coin, that was really frustrating as your pockets really got loaded down.

Sorry, but I prefer my singles fitting into a wallet.

Anyway, we have both coins & bills in the US, and so far the people have overwhelmingly chosen the bill.

I've been to Canada a lot, and hate not having the dollar bill anymore. You pocket quickly gets weighed down with heavy change.

Also lived in Japan where the smallest bill was 1000 yen (around $10), the 500 yen had just been replaced by a coin, that was really frustrating as your pockets really got loaded down.

Anyway, we have both coins & bills in the US, and so far the people have overwhelmingly chosen the bill.

Somehow we managed to survive when I was a kid with $.50 coins that were huge and common. Those were the equivilent of a $5 bill now. A current $1 bill had the buying power of a dime then. Not sure how that "big pile of dollar coins" wouldn't be consolidated into $5 and $10 bills the same way we currently consolidate our quarters into $1 bills.

Wah for you.

And the people haven't had a choice. The only they've had available is a poorly designed dollar coin that's the same size as a quarter.

Many people are surprised that the U.S. still issues two dollar bills. Unless you ask for them at the bank you rarely see one and then clerks give you funny looks and think they're not real. It would be logical for the government to boost the circulation of them along with dollar coins and eliminate the dollar bill completely. I hate to say it but there are less and less you can buy for a buck.

i use them in giving tips and vending machines daily and at the .99 cent store often; as well as tooth fairy cash under the kids' pillows. LOL

Yes. I just do not spend coins. I don't do math in my head well, so if something is $4.56 and I have 56 cents in my pocket, I just will give the girl a Five. I don't want to hold people up while I count out change. In Canada, and in Europe, if you do not force yourself to spend dollar/euro and two dollar/two euro coins you end up at the end of the day with a pocket full of change.

Ah, I get it now. All this backlash is simply because you can't stuff a dollar coin in a g-string :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)