Canadian Satelite in Oregon

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
I have a 505HD receiver in the mail that I bought from a dealer in Alberta. It's a refurb and was a really good deal. I have a Canadian address. I was going to get one from KUSAT who I have dealt with before and had an excellent experience, but I found this half price deal.

I am getting back on Shaw after a 5 year Hiatus, just in time for the Olympics and the Championship Curling season. (I know, it's not for everybody).

Not the only curling fan on this board!! SWEEEEEEP...HURRY HARD !!!!

I've been curling for nearly 15 years at a club in Omaha, NE.

Lumiere:

I concur with Joshuals, you absolutely HAVE to be sure that your mast is plumb. That is the most important step.

Once you are ready to mount your dish on to the mast, it would behoove you to have your receiver connected to a TV outside that you can see when pointing. It will make that part of the job very easy.

Good luck!

GeneralLumiere,

I had to adjust my Shaw dish at my house in Port McNeil. I also installed a Shaw dish on my boat in Seattle. I completely agree with the advice you've received so far.

I'll add that you need to be patient and make small adjustments. Also, make sure that the dish is going to stay where you place it by giving it a little wiggle to take out any stress before you tighten the bolts.

As far as curling goes - I STILL can't believe that Kevin Martin threw away that shot in the championship in Moncton! It was an an exciting game, though.

HTH

Morris said it best: "This is either the smartest shot of all time or the dumbest"

So far, Team Murdoch is "Martin's Kryptonite"

I installed the dish myself. It took the whole day! First I couldn't find any signal, but then slowly but surely I picked it, and now it is at 83%. Kusat activated the account, gave me my Star Choice account access, I ordered the programming and everything is really good right now.
I really want to thank Kusat a lot. They are incredibly helpful, always available, always answering the phones and emails right away, very respectful and polite.
I really recommend their service to everyone. Very positive experience!

One thing, though. Not having anything to do with Kusat, but with the receiver. I ordered a DSR505 receiver. The problem with it is that it doesn't have HDMI connection. I am not an expert on this, but the HDMI adapter they provide does not carry audio. Or at least it doesn't carry audio on my system, or I didn't configure something. I don't know.
Instead of using DHMI connection to my TV I had to use the composite connection (red, blue and green) for video plus separate red and white audio connection.
It works ok, but it is a hassle because I have several DHMI inputs on my Sony Bravia TV (US cable, Blue Ray DVD, Canadian Dish), so I just hoped to easily switch the inputs.
However, because Canadian satellite cannot connect audio to DHMI I had to connect their audio to my stereo system, and every time I switch to Canadian satellite I have to turn on the stereo. Which is a hassle.
If someone can figure out why the DSR505 DHMI connection doesn't carry sound and how to fix it, I will be grateful.
On the other hand, maybe it is not the receiver's fault after all, as my Sony Bravia TV has random DHMI audio problem with Comcast cable receiver too. Maybe it is TV. I don't know....

Last edited:
DVI does not carry audio period. Check your Sony manual. Usually one of the HDMI ports also has a red and white audio connection.

DVI does not carry audio period. Check your Sony manual. Usually one of the HDMI ports also has a red and white audio connection.

Not true. I have four DHMI inputs on my Sony Bravia. First one is for Comcast, second for Blue Ray DVD. Each of them carries audio.
The third one, the one that has Canadian receiver, is the only one that doesn't.

Not true. I have four DHMI inputs on my Sony Bravia. First one is for Comcast, second for Blue Ray DVD. Each of them carries audio.
The third one, the one that has Canadian receiver, is the only one that doesn't.

easiset solution: use the component cables for both audio and video fromt he 505 to your TV

Peano is correct...DVI is video only. so a DVI-out to HDMI-in will give you a nice picture but no sound.

easiset solution: use the component cables for both audio and video fromt he 505 to your TV

Peano is correct...DVI is video only. so a DVI-out to HDMI-in will give you a nice picture but no sound.

Yes, DVI to HDMI gives only video. I misundersood the post. I don't know why 505 doesn't have HDMI to HDMI, but only DVI to HDMI.

Because Starchoice is using receivers with 6 year old technology. They are very similar to what VOOM offered.

GeneralLumiere,

Compared to my Dish 622 DVR, my StarChoice 530 DVR is very primitive. It's almost painful to use.

You should be grateful that you can at least connect via DVI/HDMI. In my setup, if I try DVI/HDMI, I get a big warning in the middle of my screen complaining about missing copy protection. I don't know if the message is from my receiver or my TV. I have to use the component connection.

My Dish 622 switches HDMI directly with one click on my receiver. My Blu-Ray switches HDMI directly with one click on my receiver.

My StarChoice 530 needs to be video switched on the TV to component, then the audio switched on the receiver.

Plus, there's no name-based recording. I have to keep track of what's on the crummy two day schedule. Then, each event needs to be selected for record.

It's like living in the Dark Ages ... only with curling and CFL.

Now with David Braney buying the Argos (while keeping the Lions) I'm looking forward to a Lions-Argos Grey Cup (as long as the Lions win).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)