canceled DishNetwork buying ReplayTV: Can I still watch my recorded stuff?

alamedasunshine

Original poster
Oct 20, 2004
Hi,

I have decided to cancel DishNetwork and buy a Replay TV 5500 and subscribe to cable. My question is...I have about 60 hours of recorded programs on my DishPlayer 500 series DVR that I don't want to lose. I am stuck with the dish and receiver so I have some time to figure this out. Can I watch the previously recorded stuff after my dish service is turned off? Can I hook it up to the Replay DVR and access the recordings through Replay? Can I take out the hard drive and put it in the replay unit? I'm hoping there is another way to do this than recording to VCR tapes!

Also, does my Dishplayer DVD unit have any functionality at all without the DishNetwork service? Can I add it on through Replay service or will it just be a door stop.......

Thank you very much.

No functionality after cancelling the Dish service. Especially if you have a 510 or later as there is a service that you pay for (free if you have AEP) that unlocks the feature.

DishSatUser said:
No functionality after cancelling the Dish service. Especially if you have a 510 or later as there is a service that you pay for (free if you have AEP) that unlocks the feature.
I have AEP, and two 510's. what is this unlock feature?

As long as you unhook the receiver from the dish before you disonnect and do not leave it unplugged for more than 30 days, then you can use it. It will just always be searching for signal.... :D

How do I transfer to Replay unit?

Thank you all for responding!

dfergie: How do I transfer over to Replay? I realize the quality may not be the best...

larrystotler: As far as I have seen, I get a blue screen with a dialog box showing progress when the unit is searching for a signal. Is there a way to get out of this to get to my PVR menu and watch my shows?

Silversurfer: I'm happy to be here! Thanks for the welcome!

Lastly.. Is there anyone in the San Francisco Bay area that knows of a way for me to sell (get rid of) my dish and receiver?

:confused:

ByrdWatcher - The "unlocked feature" mentioned above that you're paying for on the newer DVRs is marketed as their Video On Demand, the VOD fee. But I really don't think it's a lock/unlock feature of the software (i.e. requiring separate hits from the sky to turn on/off). Especially since I hear some 5xx receivers have all the same software in them, just different sized hard disks, yet some have the fee and some don't.

alamedasunshine said:
Lastly.. Is there anyone in the San Francisco Bay area that knows of a way for me to sell (get rid of) my dish and receiver?

Well I'm not in that area but I've been there and know the San Francisco Bay is not far from you. ;)

alamedasunshine said:
Thank you all for responding!

dfergie: How do I transfer over to Replay? I realize the quality may not be the best...

S-video and Rca audio outs from the your E*dvr into input 2 of your Replay(make sure S-video is enabled). Then you will have to do Manuel Records and name later. If ya really want the program's dvarchive them to your pc and you can stream them back at your leisure. And if you can find a 5xxx series (rare now) you will have Commercial Advance.... :)

Let me try.

If you have a DISH PVR that is not connected (service or no service established) it will search vainly for a signal until you tell it to stop, meaning that the only screen you get is the "searching..." screen. To get to the PVR listings, just press cancel. At that point, you should be able to play back everything.

THanks for the great ideas! Is a 45xx Replay ok?

Hi again! Is the 45xx series still a good buy? It seems to have the same features as the 50xx series. :confused:

Should be, as the 55xx do not have CA or sharing ... check at this url and click on forums to find out...
www.planetreplay.com
(will be 4th column down on left) btw, its easy to upgrade replays one of my 5040's has a 250 and a 30 gig in it, the other has a 200 and a 40....(although duals are not recommended) and I might add neither are mismatched drives... :)

TyroneShoes said:
Let me try.

If you have a DISH PVR that is not connected (service or no service established) it will search vainly for a signal until you tell it to stop, meaning that the only screen you get is the "searching..." screen. To get to the PVR listings, just press cancel. At that point, you should be able to play back everything.

Something like that. The receiver really only looses it's current programming access when you unplug it for more than 30 days from the wall outlet. AFAIK, you should still be able to use the recorded events when it's been deactivated.

I'm still able to use the pvr functions on my 501 even though I have not been able to get a sig with it for over a month...(gotta do something about that) btw I say pvr because when I got it thats what it was ... :) have stuff on it from over 2 years ago....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts