Canceled My Service Today

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Echostar isn't the only public corporation required to file a 10-K statement with the SEC. This is from DirecTV's 10-K filed on 3/1/2007:

http://yahoo.brand.edgar-online.com/fetchFilingFrameset.aspx?dcn=0001047469-07-001506&Type=HTML
Their words, not mine.

I agree with what you say, and in addition to the quotes I put in about DISH concern for DirecTV, they ALSO have the same disclaimers about cable companies.

In DirecTV's 10-k, I could find NO similar concern about what Echostar is planning.

I agree with what you say, and in addition to the quotes I put in about DISH concern for DirecTV, they ALSO have the same disclaimers about cable companies.

In DirecTV's 10-k, I could find NO similar concern about what Echostar is planning.
Competition will drive the marketplace. If D* is successful in launching all of their actual and potential HD channels this year, it will only drive the other companies to go beyond that. FIOS is the killer video provider in the urban areas, and E* has already scheduled launches for two more satellites (EXI and Ciel-2), and at least one more (EXIV) is on order. If D* isn't concerned about that, they should be. It's a game of leapfrog, and hopefully, the consumer wins.

Competition will drive the marketplace. If D* is successful in launching all of their actual and potential HD channels this year, it will only drive the other companies to go beyond that. FIOS is the killer video provider in the urban areas, and E* has already scheduled launches for two more satellites (EXI and Ciel-2), and at least one more (EXIV) is on order. If D* isn't concerned about that, they should be. It's a game of leapfrog, and hopefully, the consumer wins.

Echostar 11 is only a BACKUP sat, and it was supposed to launch this month on Sea Launch but it has been delayed until 2008. They will NOT be launching anything for quite a while in reality.

Yes, its a leapfrog - and I do hope we win.

FiOS is excellent PQ, agreed. But it is going to roll out slowly - see post # 24 from this thread above, and they are only forecasting between 3 and 4 million subs by 2010. As good as it is (and it is good), they will not be a major player at only 4 million (high end of their forecast) in the next 3 years. DirecTV and DISH don't distinguish between urban and rural areas so they have that kind of advanteage over FiOS as well.

Lots of variables for sure.

Actually, Scobuck, Q can't give you a link. I just scanned all 443 posts listed in Q's profile, and all but one are listed as being in a D* forum. The only one not listed as being in a D* forum is in the Classified forum, and it appears to have been move there by a mod from a D* forum. Unless Q is posting under multiple accounts, which I'd guess is a violation of the TOS, he's just blowing smoke.

Sorry, didn't mean to imply I posted in other forums here, I also post at dbstalk and avs in a variety of forums.

Still, if you can take a second off from your constant whacking....why don't you have fios, which you seem to love, and why do you have D*, which you have nothing but contempt for, wow, kind of reminds me of someone else.

I do have fios.....as well as directv. Mainly because it's easier for my work to have both and I didn't want to bother trying to get out of my directv contract.

Not only that, but DISH is no longer broadcasting any full rezz HD. They have joined the HD-lite brigade.

They are now severely strapped for bandwidth, and in fact will be losing bandwidth soon at the 129 position. In fact Charlie had this to say (Echostar filing with SEC from 3/07/07):

This is THEIR words, not mine.

Where does it say losing or bandwidth or 129? ???

EchoStar V. EchoStar V was launched during September 1999 and currently operates at the 129 degree orbital location. The satellite was originally designed with a minimum 12-year design life. As previously disclosed, momentum wheel failures in prior years, together with relocation of the satellite between orbital locations, resulted in increased fuel consumption. These issues have not impacted commercial operation of the satellite, but have reduced the remaining spacecraft life to less than two years as of December 31, 2006

In other words, a sat that was expected to last until 2011, but as of now has little more than a year of lilfe left in it. This bird carries the following programming:

http://www.lyngsat.com/packages/dish129.html

129w is a Canadian slot. Half of the transponders there must be dedicated to servicing Canada. Of course, given spotbeam technology, replacing the Echostar 5 CONUS satellite that's there now with a massive spotbeam (up to 9x frequency re-use) satellite like Ciel-2, is likely to result in a net increase in E* coverage.

129w is a Canadian slot. Half of the transponders there must be dedicated to servicing Canada. Of course, given spotbeam technology, replacing the Echostar 5 CONUS satellite that's there now with a massive spotbeam (up to 9x frequency re-use) satellite like Ciel-2, is likely to result in a net increase in E* coverage.

click on the link at the bottom of my post - it will show you just how much American programming this bird provides. this will be a big loss for E*

Sorry, didn't mean to imply I posted in other forums here, I also post at dbstalk and avs in a variety of forums.

Then what name do you post under at DBSTalk and AVS? I'd like to see your "equal opportunity" bashing in those forums. BTW, I'm registered at all three as "Newshawk"... so what you see here is what you get there. I just want to see if the same is true with you.

take a look at the entire E* fleet, almost every bird has had problems, many are dying early, many can't work at full capacity. You gotta hope there are no more problems with these guys.

OUR SATELLITES
Our DISH Network satellite television programming is currently transmitted to our customers over satellites that operate in the “Ku” band portion of the microwave radio spectrum. The Ku-band is divided into two spectrum segments. The high power portion of the Ku-band — 12.2 to 12.7 GHz — is known as the Broadcast Satellite Service (“BSS”) band, which is also referred to as the Direct Broadcast Satellite (“DBS”) band. The low and medium power portion of the Ku-band — 11.7 to 12.2 GHz — is known as the Fixed Satellite Service (“FSS”) band.

Most of our DTH programming is currently delivered using DBS satellites. We continue to explore opportunities to expand our available DTH and wholesale commercial satellite capacity through the use of other available spectrum. Increasing our available spectrum for DTH applications is particularly important as more bandwidth intensive HD programming is produced and in order to address new video and data applications consumers may desire in the future. Although we have provided DTH services on a limited basis using FSS spectrum, due to the larger dish size generally required and other technical limitations, this spectrum is best suited for commercial and wholesale business applications.

We also continue to explore the use of Ka-band spectrum for DTH use. The Ka-band is a higher frequency band than the Ku-band, ranging from 18 to 40 GHz. However, a larger dish is generally required and interference caused by rain and snow is a more significant problem than is the case with DBS spectrum.

Satellite Fleet
We presently transmit programming from 14 satellites in geostationary orbit approximately 22,300 miles above the equator. Of these 11 are owned and three are leased. Our satellite fleet is a major component of our EchoStar DBS System. While we believe that overall our satellite fleet is generally in good condition, during 2006 and prior periods, certain satellites in our fleet have experienced anomalies, some of which have had a significant adverse impact on their commercial operation. We currently do not carry insurance for any of our owned in-orbit satellites. We believe we generally have in-orbit satellite capacity sufficient to recover, in a relatively short time frame, transmission of most of our critical programming in the event one of our in-orbit satellites were to fail. We could not, however, recover certain local markets, international and other niche programming in the event of such a failure, with the extent of disruption dependent on the specific satellite experiencing the failure. Further, programming continuity cannot be assured in the event of multiple satellite losses.

Owned Satellites
We currently own 11 in-orbit satellites.

EchoStar I. EchoStar I was launched during December 1995 and currently operates at the 148 degree orbital location. The satellite can operate up to 16 transponders at 130 watts per channel. During the second quarter of 2006, the satellite experienced anomalies resulting in the possible loss of two solar array strings. An investigation of the anomalies is continuing. The anomalies have not impacted commercial operation of the satellite to date. Even if permanent loss of the two solar array strings is confirmed, the original minimum 12-year design life of the satellite is not expected to be impacted since the satellite is equipped with a total of 104 solar array strings, only approximately 98 of which are required to assure full power availability for the design life of the satellite. However, there can be no assurance future anomalies will not cause further losses which could impact the remaining life or commercial operation of the satellite.

EchoStar II. EchoStar II was launched during September 1996 and currently operates at the 148 degree orbital location. The satellite can operate up to 16 transponders at 130 watts per channel. During February 2007, the satellite experienced an anomaly which prevented its north solar array from rotating. Functionality was restored through a backup system. The design life of the satellite has not been affected and the anomaly is not expected to result in the loss of power to the satellite. However, if the backup system fails, a partial loss of power would result which could impact the useful life or commercial operation of the satellite.

EchoStar III. EchoStar III was launched during October 1997 and currently operates at the 61.5 degree orbital location. The satellite was originally designed to operate a maximum of 32 transponders at approximately 120 watts per channel, switchable to 16 transponders operating at over 230 watts per channel, and was equipped with a total of 44 transponders to provide redundancy. Prior to 2006, TWTA anomalies caused 22 transponders to fail. During April and October 2006, further TWTA anomalies caused the failure of four additional transponders. As a result, a maximum of 18 transponders are currently available for use on EchoStar III, but due to redundancy switching limitations and specific channel authorizations, we can only operate 15 of the 19 FCC authorized frequencies we have the right to utilize at the 61.5 degree location. While we do not expect a large number of additional TWTAs to fail in any year, and the failures have not reduced the original minimum 12-year design life of the satellite, it is likely that additional TWTA failures will occur from time to time in the future, and those failures will further impact commercial operation of the satellite.

EchoStar IV. EchoStar IV was launched during May 1998 and currently operates at the 77 degree orbital location, which is licensed by the government of Mexico to a venture in which we hold a minority interest. The satellite was originally designed to operate a maximum of 32 transponders at approximately 120 watts per channel, switchable to 16 transponders operating at over 230 watts per channel. As a result of past TWTA failures, only six transponders are currently available for use and the satellite has been fully depreciated on our books. There can be no assurance that further material degradation, or total loss of use, of EchoStar IV will not occur in the immediate future.

EchoStar V. EchoStar V was launched during September 1999 and currently operates at the 129 degree orbital location. The satellite was originally designed with a minimum 12-year design life. As previously disclosed, momentum wheel failures in prior years, together with relocation of the satellite between orbital locations, resulted in increased fuel consumption. These issues have not impacted commercial operation of the satellite, but have reduced the remaining spacecraft life to less than two years as of December 31, 2006. Prior to 2006, EchoStar V also experienced anomalies resulting in the loss of six solar array strings. During July 2006, the satellite lost an additional solar array string. The solar array anomalies have not impacted commercial operation of the satellite to date. Since the satellite only has a remaining life of approximately two years, the solar array failures (which would normally have resulted in a reduction in the number of transponders to which power can be provided in later years), are not expected to reduce the current remaining life of the satellite. However, there can be no assurance that future anomalies will not cause further losses which could impact commercial operation, or the remaining life, of the satellite. See discussion of evaluation of impairment in “Long-Lived Satellite Assets” in Note 4 in the Notes to the Consolidated Financial Statements in Item 15 of this Annual Report on Form 10-K.

EchoStar VI. EchoStar VI was launched during July 2000 and is currently stationed at the 110 degree orbital location as an in-orbit spare. The satellite was originally equipped with 108 solar array strings, approximately 102 of which are required to assure full power availability for the original minimum 12-year design life of the satellite. Prior to 2006, EchoStar VI experienced anomalies resulting in the loss of 15 solar array strings. During 2006, two additional solar array strings failed, reducing the number of functional solar array strings to 91. While the design life of the satellite has not been affected, commercial operability has been reduced. The satellite was designed to operate 32 transponders at approximately 125 watts per channel, switchable to 16 transponders operating at approximately 225 watts per channel. The power reduction resulting from the solar array failures limits us to operation of a maximum of 26 transponders in standard power mode, or 13 transponders in high power mode currently. The number of transponders to which power can be provided is expected to continue to decline in the future at the rate of approximately one transponder every three years. See discussion of evaluation of impairment in “Long-Lived Satellite Assets” in Note 4 in the Notes to the Consolidated Financial Statements in Item 15 of this Annual Report on Form 10-K.

EchoStar VII. EchoStar VII was launched during February 2002 and currently operates at the 119 degree orbital location. During March 2006, the satellite experienced an anomaly which resulted in the loss of a receiver. Service was quickly restored through a spare receiver. These receivers process signals sent from our uplink center, for transmission back to earth by the satellite. The design life of the satellite has not been affected and the anomaly is not expected to result in the loss of other receivers on the satellite. However, there can be no assurance future anomalies will not cause further receiver losses which could impact the useful life or commercial operation of the satellite. In the event the spare receiver placed in operation following the March 2006 anomaly also fails, there would be no impact to the satellite’s ability to provide service to the continental United States (“CONUS”) when operating in CONUS mode. However, we would lose one-fifth of the spot beam capacity when operating in spot beam mode.

EchoStar VIII. EchoStar VIII was launched during August 2002 and currently operates at the 110 degree orbital location. The satellite was designed to operate 32 transponders at approximately 120 watts per channel, switchable to 16 transponders operating at approximately 240 watts per channel. EchoStar VIII also includes spot-beam technology. As previously disclosed, the satellite has experienced several anomalies since launch, but none have reduced the 12-year estimated useful life of the satellite. However, there can be no assurance that future anomalies will not cause further losses which could materially impact its commercial operation, or result in a total loss of the satellite.
We depend on EchoStar VIII to provide service to CONUS at least until such time as our EchoStar XI satellite has commenced commercial operation, which is currently expected during the second half of 2008. AMC-14, which is expected to commence commercial operation in early 2008, also has the capability to act as a backup for EchoStar VIII and could be launched to the 110 degree orbital location, if necessary. In the event that EchoStar VIII experienced a total or substantial failure, we could transmit many, but not all, of those channels from other in-orbit satellites.

EchoStar IX. EchoStar IX was launched during August 2003 and currently operates at the 121 degree orbital location. The satellite was designed to operate 32 FSS transponders operating at approximately 110 watts per channel, along with transponders that can provide services in the Ka-Band (a “Ka-band payload”). EchoStar IX provides expanded video and audio channels to DISH Network subscribers who install a specially-designed dish. The Ka-band spectrum is being used to test and verify potential future broadband initiatives and to implement those services. The satellite also includes a C-band payload which is owned by a third party. During the fourth quarter of 2006, EchoStar IX experienced the loss of one of its three momentum wheels, two of which are utilized during normal operations. A spare wheel was switched in at the time and the loss did not reduce the 12-year estimated useful life of the satellite. However, there can be no assurance future anomalies will not cause further losses, which could impact the remaining life or commercial operation of the satellite.

EchoStar X. EchoStar X was launched during February 2006 and currently operates at the 110 degree orbital location. Its 49 spot beams use up to 42 active 140 watt TWTAs to provide standard and HD local channels, and other programming, to markets across the United States. In the event our EchoStar X satellite experienced a significant failure, we would lose the ability to deliver local network channels in many markets. While we would attempt to minimize the number of lost markets through the use of spare satellites and programming line up changes, some markets would be without local channels until a replacement satellite with similar spot beam capability could be launched and operational.

EchoStar XII. EchoStar XII was launched during July 2003 and currently operates at the 61.5 degree orbital location. The satellite was designed to operate 13 transponders at 270 watts per channel, in CONUS mode, or 22 spot beams using a combination of 135 and 65 watt TWTAs. We currently operate the satellite in CONUS mode. EchoStar XII has a total of 24 solar array circuits, approximately 22 of which are required to assure full power for the original minimum 12-year design life of the satellite. Prior to 2006, two solar array circuits failed, one of which was subsequently restored to partial use. During 2006, three additional solar array circuits failed. The cause of the failures is being investigated. While the design life of the satellite has not been affected, in future years the power loss will cause a reduction in the number of transponders which can be operated. The exact extent of this impact has not yet been determined. There can be no assurance future anomalies will not cause further losses, which could further impact commercial operation of the satellite or its useful life. See discussion of evaluation of impairment in “Long-Lived Satellite Assets” in Note 4 in the Notes to the Consolidated Financial Statements in Item 15 of this Annual Report on Form 10-K.

Leased Satellites
We currently lease three in-orbit satellites which are being used to provide, among other things, standard and HD programming to certain local markets, international programming, backup capacity and fixed satellite service capacity on a wholesale commercial basis (rather than direct to consumers).

AMC-2. AMC-2 currently operates at the 85 degree orbital location. This SES Americom FSS satellite is equipped with 24 medium power Ku FSS transponders. Our lease of this satellite is expected to continue through 2007

Last edited:
Oh my, the D* apologists are crucifying someone for telling the truth.

Sorry, V, I was only questioning Q's comment. He's cleared it up for me as far as this forum is concerned. As you'll see, I've asked him to let me know what he posts as in the other forums. I just like to see what Q is saying elsewhere.

EchoStar V. EchoStar V was launched during September 1999 and currently operates at the 129 degree orbital location. The satellite was originally designed with a minimum 12-year design life. As previously disclosed, momentum wheel failures in prior years, together with relocation of the satellite between orbital locations, resulted in increased fuel consumption. These issues have not impacted commercial operation of the satellite, but have reduced the remaining spacecraft life to less than two years as of December 31, 2006

In other words, a sat that was expected to last until 2011, but as of now has little more than a year of lilfe left in it. This bird carries the following programming:

http://www.lyngsat.com/packages/dish129.html

I am not up on the latest Dish Network stuff, but if I read correctly you are saying basically the same thing that was alluded to back in the old Sea Launch Failure/Explosion thread? That Dish will be far more impacted by their failure? Maybe even bandwidth troubles equal to, or even exceeding, what DirecTV has had?

I am not up on the latest Dish Network stuff, but if I read correctly you are saying basically the same thing that was alluded to back in the old Sea Launch Failure/Explosion thread? That Dish will be far more impacted by their failure? Maybe even bandwidth troubles equal to, or even exceeding, what DirecTV has had?

If you take a look at the post I made above regarding their entire sat fleet, from the untrained eye it looks as though they do have lots of problems, and potential potholes.

click on the link at the bottom of my post - it will show you just how much American programming this bird provides. this will be a big loss for E*
Like I said, all that HD-LIL and SD-LIL that's now on the CONUS E5, wasting bandwidth, will go to Ciel-2 spotbeams. What takes nine transponders with E5 will only take one with Ciel-2. So, assuming 32 transponders, E* gets up to 16. Nine times sixteen = 144 effective spotbeams, with room for 6 HD channels apiece, vs. the 16 that it can use now for CONUS.

144 * 6 = up to 864 HD channels with Ciel-2
16 * 6 = up to 96 HD channels with E5

Then what name do you post under at DBSTalk and AVS? I'd like to see your "equal opportunity" bashing in those forums. BTW, I'm registered at all three as "Newshawk"... so what you see here is what you get there. I just want to see if the same is true with you.

I also post at avs, dbs, and here (only 3 I go to ) under the same name.

What's your handle at those forums Questioner? I want to read your posts.

guys, do me a favor please? if you are going to post long paragraphs, how about putting space between them? it is so hard to read when its one long block of copy. thanks in advance.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)