Canceling because of move and keeping DVR recordings

azbumbers

Original poster
Sep 16, 2009
Arizona
Hello. I'm moving in a few days and I need to cancel my Dish service to cut down on expenses. I was wondering if it might be possible to cancel the service but keep the receiver until I can get the content off? There are some recordings I'd like to save but thing is, the receiver would be going to a different house which has Directv and not Dish. Would this still work? I realize that I'd possibly need to return it within 30 days but that's fine as that would give me enough time to record the content off of the computer so I can keep the recordings rather than losing them for good. Thanks for any assistance with this!

You cannot transfer content to an EHD off of a receiver that is not active on an account. The recordings are also encrypted and would not be able to be played on a computer, or another account.

I think he means using a capture device on the computer from the AV or component outputs from the receiver.

You might do a DISH mover then drop to Welcome pak @ $19.99. But it sounds like you are planning on using someone elses Directv.

Would I still be able to access the recordings at the other house even if it's not hooked up to the satellite receiver? I've no problem with returning it within 30 days though. Dare2be is right, that is what I plan to do. Also, how would I go about canceling? Could I do it online? It'd be preferable as I'm hard of hearing but if I need to do it by phone, that's fine too.

Oh, and boba, that is the plan as it's my Dad's Directv and I need to cut down on expenses. To be honest, I wish I could keep Dish as I like them better but alas, my circumstances dictate this move for now.

You have a few days before the receiver looses activation. Unplug the receiver from the dish before canceling service. You can still watch the recordings, however it is unknown for how long it will work, could be two days, could be two weeks.

Depending on how much stuff you have, it may be best just to downgrade to the Welcome pack, backup the recordings then cancel service.

Won't be able to downgrade but I can record like mad now. I'll see if I can hold off on canceling until Wednesday or Thursday to give me a bit of time. Thanks all!