Cancellation question

Status
Please reply by conversation.

maleman

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Nov 2, 2005
I called to cancel directv today, and the lady said that since I had added HD I made a two year commitment to Dtv. My question is, I purchased the HD receiver separately from bestbuy and I never signed any documents at bestbuy saying I made such commitment. I already had Dtv prior to that purchase and I installed the receiver myself. I also can't find any statements or documents from DTV saying I made such commitment.

Is this really true, that just buy purchasing a receiver you agree to a two year commitment?WTF is up here? No one at bestbuy told me anything about it and there was nothing in/on/around the box or the on receipt about a contract. I never signed the receipt either since I paid with cash. Anyone aware the deal Dtv has with bestbuy and whether buu sheer act of purchasing a receiver you are contractually commited to DTV? I told the lady, that this sounded like fraud to me, but she insisted that this was the case.

Good luck getting out of your contract. They lied to me about programing, and when I called them on it after the install they basically said, "Too Bad!"

23 months and counting....

It is not when you buy it, but when you activate it.

You should have gotten a "Terms of Service" with your first bill that should have spelled this out. I think if you are under 30 days into it you can cancel with no penalty.

Not taking their side, just trying to explain how it is done.

I tried everything I could and was well under 30 days. I'm still "stuck" in a contract.

Any new equipment requires a 1 or 2 year commitment, and always has!!! All equipment is by lease now, even if you pay cash at B.B. or C.C., and or any other source. The CSR's all have the same script, and are required to "READ" it to you, if necessary, to make sure that you are paying attention, so there are no excuses, anymore... You are just paying, long term, for what the equipment is worth.

Doctor Bob said:
Any new equipment requires a 1 or 2 year commitment, and always has!!! All equipment is by lease now, even if you pay cash at B.B. or C.C., and or any other source. The CSR's all have the same script, and are required to "READ" it to you, if necessary, to make sure that you are paying attention, so there are no excuses, anymore... You are just paying, long term, for what the equipment is worth.

This is the way it is now but has not always been this way. I have six boxes dating back to 1994 and never have had a commitment. The last one I activated was about three years ago.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts