Cancelled Dish, no equipment return??

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

max6387

Original poster
Feb 15, 2016
newark, ca
I cancelled Dish around 2 weeks ago and I got my last bill (a small credit). They never sent me anything for equipment return.

I had two hopper 2 with sling and 2 joey 1.0s. (One HWS was purchased).

Are they just letting customers keep equipment now since they aren't reusing these?

Dish is very busy right now with all the Hopper 3 upgrades.
Just wait, they are on the way. You must return them or months later they will charge your credit card.

I turned off a 625 on my account and I get a letter saying they didn't want it back.

I'm sure a letter is on the way to say what they want you to do. Just give it some more time - and keep up with the equipment in case they decide you need to return it.

Or maybe call?

Personally, If you haven't received return kit after two weeks, I would call and find out.. They WILL want those Hoppers back.. And they will charge your account if they don't get them in a timely manner.. Best to at least call and check..

Trust me, as skyview said, they'll definitely want those Hoppers and Joeys back. The 625, I can see them stopping getting them back, since they are MPEG2 only.

I cancelled Dish around 2 weeks ago and I got my last bill (a small credit). They never sent me anything for equipment return.

I had two hopper 2 with sling and 2 joey 1.0s. (One HWS was purchased).

Are they just letting customers keep equipment now since they aren't reusing these?

You know what after having a Hopper with any contract at the end of that contrace the reveiver should considered a purchased receiver and belong to the subdcriber.

Reactions: charlesrshell
I spoke with Dish, they wanted only the Joeys. Got an email with the following for the rest:

Equipment marked "Return Not Required" is obsolete. Please do not attempt to sell it, as it cannot be used by another DISH customer.

When I upgraded to a Hopper 3, they sent a recovery kit for the leased HWS I had. There was a list of receivers that were supposed to be returned in the recovery kit, ALL MPEG4 equipment was listed, 211, 612, 622, 722, 922 series, Hopper 2000, Hopper with Sling, Joey, Super Joey, etc... Not saying they didn't tell you that, just that you might want to be sure. That list was new too, it had a date of 12/15 printed on it.

Um, what? So the monthly bills were "Hopper payments" and the TV you got to watch/record was a freebie?
Wireless phone companies did it for years. There never used to be a "phone payment" line item on cell phone bills but after "x" period of time, the device belonged to you outright.

Besides, almost all Dish bills do in fact have an "equipment" related charge as a separate line item. They may call it "DVR fee", "2nd receiver fee", etc, etc but those are just terms they use.

I haven't received my boxes yet either. I will probably get a hold of them by the end of the week to remind them. I don't want to get charged.

I spoke with Dish, they wanted only the Joeys. Got an email with the following for the rest:

Equipment marked "Return Not Required" is obsolete. Please do not attempt to sell it, as it cannot be used by another DISH customer.

So, they are essentially saying you have a duty to dispose of this equipment that doesn't belong to you - I am assuming that throwing away the unit has environmental impacts like you would see with other electronic equipment (?).

If I were you, I would push back on Dish and ask for a return box or free up the receiver for you to sell - they want it both ways, it seems - "we don't want it but it's ours".

So, they are essentially saying you have a duty to dispose of this equipment that doesn't belong to you - I am assuming that throwing away the unit has environmental impacts like you would see with other electronic equipment (?).

If I were you, I would push back on Dish and ask for a return box or free up the receiver for you to sell - they want it both ways, it seems - "we don't want it but it's ours".
You are not going to trash the receiver, you are going to recycle it. In my area, I can actually do that by cutting off the power cord and placing it in my blue recycle container. I've done it several times over the years as receivers get obsolete. Why would Dish want you to sell an obsolete receiver?

The receiver in question is a 625. That receiver is not obsolete. Well, I guess that depends on Dish's version of "obsolete". They still work today and there are no published plans to shut them down, but it's possible that Dish will not activate them.

The OP said he had a HWS and two Joeys that belonged to DISH and they only wanted the Joeys. I'm pretty sure you could sell a HWS for a decent amount on the secondary market.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)