Cancelled Netflix

69Mustang

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 21, 2005
I canceled my promo Netflix account. Got 3 HD DVD's and all three were so scratched that my A3 either stopped or froze while playing their movies. I cleaned each disc with a new damp chamois after following their instructions on disc cleaning before playing the movie. No complaints about the service.

Blades of Glory
Sea biscuit
Fearless

My A3 works great with movies from my collection and I did the 1.3 firmware upgrade.

I thought I would post this to see if any others have ran into problems with the poor condition of their HD DVD's that Netflix is renting?

Ive seen these complaints before BUT, Ive been renting from Netflix for over 7 years and renting BD's since March(HDDVD's since Nov). Ive NEVER gotten a HD format disc that would not play, and the only DVD's that Ive had issue with were broken in transit (less than 20).

Im on the four out a time and will not change to anything else until its proven to be better. Tried blockbuster about 4 different times, nothing but slow turnaround and more broken discs.

Not only HD-DVDs. I've had problems with their regular DVDs too. I guess some people are not as careful with rented DVDs.

Not enough for me to cancel, though, they are very responsive in sending you a replacement if you report the disct as unplayable. It still sucks having to stop watching a movie right in the middle, though.

I also encountered this before. We ended up canceling a month later, just because DTV gave us an awesome deal on every channel. Its ended now, i took advantage of teh free trial of netflix again, and am back in the process of convincing the wife its time to sign up again.

I've been with Netflix for six years and only 2 times can I remember having a problem with a broken/unplayable disk. However, a few weeks ago I started getting BD from them and already I've had one unplayable (scratched) disk: Invincible (ironically enough). :p

I also encountered this before. We ended up canceling a month later, just because DTV gave us an awesome deal on every channel. Its ended now, i took advantage of teh free trial of netflix again, and am back in the process of convincing the wife its time to sign up again.

IMHO, Netlfix is worth it vs PPV and HDPPV and HD movie channels.

HD DVD isn't very scratch tolerant because of the higher capacity. Even worse on some (all?) HD DVD players when you encounter an unreadable scratch you get a bizarre error 0x8^$&*$* code and booted right out of playback.

In contrast, Blu-ray has an awesome anti-scratch coating which really works.

Now, the other problem with Netflix is cracked discs. They're rare for me (but apparently not so much in colder climates) andyou're screwed no matter what format you have.

HD DVD isn't very scratch tolerant because of the higher capacity. Even worse on some (all?) HD DVD players when you encounter an unreadable scratch you get a bizarre error 0x8^$&*$* code and booted right out of playback.

In contrast, Blu-ray has an awesome anti-scratch coating which really works.

Now, the other problem with Netflix is cracked discs. They're rare for me (but apparently not so much in colder climates) andyou're screwed no matter what format you have.

Well, higher capacity doesn't apply because BD's are larger. I think its been stated before the BD's are more durable, I may be wrong.

About broken discs, we cant always blame Netflix, but they are good about shipping the replacement quickly.

I haven't had Netflix service in a while as I've been waiting for the HD disc catalog to grow...I've found I have much more to watch on E* than I could rent.

Before that, however, I had given up on premium channels for SD movies and was a longstanding satisfied Netflix customer for all the above reasons...great service and selection, and if I got a bum disc, they were very quick to replace it.

It seems that HD-DVD discs are not as robust in the rental market as far as scratching/warping/cracking and that's why Blockbuster dropped the format. The tighter tolerances of the red laser/pit structure of the HD-DVD format seem to be the issue. That's of no consequence for the average user because they aren't giving their discs the physical abuse that rental cycles/logistics do. Bluray's advanced coating seems to be making a huge difference in that regard.

This is all very interesting. I think its the first real quality/usability differentiation we've seen in real-world testing that seperates the two formats. Everything else has been driven by quality control of the content providers, not limitations of the spec/formats themselves (i.e. compression/codec choices, transfers, interactive feature implementation, etc.). Hmmm.

Well, when the library of HD-on-disc titles hits a solid 1000+ and as many titles are released on those formats as DVD (or better, it eclipses the 'aged' SD format), I'll be rejoining the Netflix rank and file...and it looks like my best choice for reliable discs will be...?

Every movie that shows on HighDefDigest with a release date can soon after be added on Netflix. The selection is best possible.

I understand that...Netflix is great. I was a sub for a looong stretch, beginning in the early days of DVD when it was hard to find a decent selection at the local/chain video stores. Pretty much anything that's on disc, they carry (except pron).

My issue is with how small the overall HD-on-disc catalog is right now. Under 700 films...which is nothing compared to what can turn up on the 35+ HD channels available on D*/E*.

I want great back catalog titles and guilty faves and smaller/indie/foreign films--not just the latest crud the studio wants me to buy just because its in HD, which is what most of the current HD-DVD/Bluray catalog consists of. These gems I love to watch/own will show up on Voom or CinemaxHD et al waaaay before they'll ever make their way to Bluray or HD-DVD. I have a growing collection on HDD to prove it.

That's my point, mainly. Its not to fault Netflix at all--they carry it all. There's just not much out there because the studios haven't committed to either format 100% yet...and it takes time to author/clean-up these things for a next-gen HD release besides.

Netflix makes perfect sense for those folks who don't want to buy any discs right now and/or don't care about a broader range of back catalog or less-than-blockbuster titles that would necessitate premium channel subscriptions.

...I want great back catalog titles and guilty faves and smaller/indie/foreign films--not just the latest crud the studio wants me to buy just because its in HD...
Exactly!
As soon as watching hidef for the first time "jaw-to-the-floor" stage is over, the desire to see movies you like is back...
And those, although very personal, tend to be mostly catalog titles.

Diogen.

Exactly!
As soon as watching hidef for the first time "jaw-to-the-floor" stage is over, the desire to see movies you like is back...
And those, although very personal, tend to be mostly catalog titles.

Diogen.

I agree with you again - what a shock!

I have a couple I bought just to "try out" the new players... but overall I find myself much more interested in re-buying movies I already have and/or older ones I never got around to getting on DVD for whatever reason. And, unfortunately, many of the ones I'd love to have aren't out yet in either format.

Unfortunately I have an HD-deprived cable TV package that still doesn't even carry Cinemax or Starz HD (let alone HDnet Movies, etc.), so renting from Netflix is my best option at this point. And although the PQ is quite good on the 12 national HD channel I get on my cable system, I tend to get a lot of macroblocking during fast action/explosions on some movies, even on HBO HD.

Unfortunately I have an HD-deprived cable TV package that still doesn't even carry Cinemax or Starz HD (let alone HDnet Movies, etc.), so renting from Netflix is my best option at this point. And although the PQ is quite good on the 12 national HD channel I get on my cable system, I tend to get a lot of macroblocking during fast action/explosions on some movies, even on HBO HD.

I understand/empathize exactly where you're coming from. At that stage, you either stay w/ the devil you know and go w/ Netflix or...move to satellite ;)?

Yep, sounds like Cox or is it Time Warner?
Go LT!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)