Cancelled Netflix

I understand the appeal of catalog titles, BUT there are new releases every week. Just about every theater movie can be had in HD format now, thats the appeal of Netflix to me.

There are very few movies every year that I buy, but I own both players so I can see new releases in HD, regardless of whether I own them. Between watching new releases and my hddvr recordings, I have little time to go back and re-watch blackhawk down (as an example)

I had same issues, about 3 out of 5 movies would be so messed up, they would skip or not play. The time I got a replacement, it took a week. Nothing worse than sitting down with the popcorn and have the movie go nuts and miss a bunch of it. If I went that route again, I would go Blockbuster, at least I could drive 10 minutes and get a replacement.

Have been getting quite of few movies from HD PPV, at least they are there when I am ready to watch, thanks to the USB storage.

I had same issues, about 3 out of 5 movies would be so messed up, they would skip or not play. The time I got a replacement, it took a week. Nothing worse than sitting down with the popcorn and have the movie go nuts and miss a bunch of it. If I went that route again, I would go Blockbuster, at least I could drive 10 minutes and get a replacement.

Have been getting quite of few movies from HD PPV, at least they are there when I am ready to watch, thanks to the USB storage.

The first thing I do the day the movie arrives is open it and inspect it. Then if ok it sits till Im ready for it.

I hated having a movie for 4-5 days then taking it out and seeing it was broken.

I guess its lack of market, but my hddvd's and bd's never have scratches, but the sd dvds come in all kinda shapes.

I too have had netflix for over 2 years now. I have noticed less of a fault tolerance on HD-DVD compared to Blu-Ray. The thing that irks me is that when my que has been empty for the last 4 days and I still can't get 1 of the three new releases in the either of the new formats. Very frustrating.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The 3 movies that I received looked so so. I would carefully clean them and even polish them. The family was eager to watch so what was I to do but start the show. I don't think "sorry guys, these discs look too scratched so let's read a book instead" would go over to well. The problem was after the movie played 40 to 60 minutes into the movie it would freeze and stop. In Blades of Glory it didn't freeze until the final scene at the ice skating finals competition. Doh!

Now I'm back to renting SD dvd's from my local mom and pop ($2.60) and if it's good enough to own then it's purchase time. Hopefully for around $15-19 for HD DVD. My local just got me Rush Hr 3 so it's still good to have.:D

For some reason, Netflix isn't listing Rush Hour 3 as available in HD DVD or BD yet. What gives? I had it in my queue to get it the day it was released, but when I saw the only format was SD DVD, I dropped it.

HD DVD isn't very scratch tolerant because of the higher capacity. Even worse on some (all?) HD DVD players when you encounter an unreadable scratch you get a bizarre error 0x8^$&*$* code and booted right out of playback.

In contrast, Blu-ray has an awesome anti-scratch coating which really works.

Now, the other problem with Netflix is cracked discs. They're rare for me (but apparently not so much in colder climates) andyou're screwed no matter what format you have.

It's not scratches but smudges that cause that weird error.

I only had one Netflix movie lock up on me--Evan Almighty. I powered the machine off, then hit the eject button. It came out without trying to read it. I cleaned the disc with soap and water and dried it with a paper towel. It loaded flawlessly after that. It didn't help the fact that it was still a crappy movie, but that's another thread.

Availability of discs for new releases was an issue before Netflix came along. It was an issue with VHS, too. Remember Blockbuster's guaranteed to be in stock campaign? Netflix came through on "Die Zauberfl[SIZE=-1]öte[/SIZE]" after Amazon and other online merchants screwed up delivery for pre-orders. I received the rental before my Amazon prime order!

I researched the opinions of Netflix users and concluded it works best for those who rarely use it. The more you use it the worse it works. I declined!

Amazon has not been in my favorite choice lately. First they did what you said and failed to send a preorder until after I rented the HD DVD from Blockbuster a week later. This is pitiful, considering I even paid them more with the preorder than they were selling at delivery time.

Also- Amazon had two older BluRay DVD's I wanted for $27.99 each. Both listed as available and even receive by 2 days later with some $pecial $hipping. So I set up a cart and dfiscover they would not ship until a week later! This really sucked. If I selected next day air, they would ship immediately, but if I selected ground, they would delay shipping for a week and then I would receive it 3 days later. Poor! Later in the day I was at BJ's and discovered I could buy the DVD's for the same price with no shipping and watch the same day.

I'm keeping all options open as the best policy.

I researched the opinions of Netflix users and concluded it works best for those who rarely use it. The more you use it the worse it works. I declined!

While they do admit to giving lower uses priority, i am watching 4 per week without issue. Honestly, youll get your 3 or 4 per week, how does renting even come close to the netflix price?

While they do admit to giving lower uses priority, i am watching 4 per week without issue. Honestly, youll get your 3 or 4 per week, how does renting even come close to the netflix price?
Hollywood and Blockbuster are high. The kiosks are killing them for a reason. The kiosks don't rent high definition discs. That's what keeps me away from them and into the arms of Netflix. Blockbuster and Hollywood have limited selections for non day and date stuff. Mom and pop shops are usually the same or better for catalog. I never see anyone in my neighborhood blockbuster and EVERYONE at local Redbox kiosks. $4 vs. $1 for a new release? Duh...

Netflix or the kiosks is the way to go. Blockbuster, Hollywood and Movie Gallery are heading down.

Hollywood and Blockbuster are high. The kiosks are killing them for a reason. The kiosks don't rent high definition discs. That's what keeps me away from them and into the arms of Netflix. Blockbuster and Hollywood have limited selections for non day and date stuff. Mom and pop shops are usually the same or better for catalog. I never see anyone in my neighborhood blockbuster and EVERYONE at local Redbox kiosks. $4 vs. $1 for a new release? Duh...

Netflix or the kiosks is the way to go. Blockbuster, Hollywood and Movie Gallery are heading down.

Agreed. As soon as the kiosks start with HDM, Ill drop the netflix down and just use it for hard to find and tv shows, like Star Trek on HDDVD :)

"...how does renting even come close to the netflix price?"

That's easy.

I rent 2 per day on Block Buster Movie Pass for $30 a month. That's 60 DVD's a month if I make the trip (my choice) once per day. This includes there rather good selection of both BluRay and HD DVD as well as new releases. If you don't mind going to the store and picking out your DVD's from the current inventory, you will get to watch what you selected that same day and the cost is 50 cents a DVD. Less if you go more often, more if you go less often.

That's easy.

I rent 2 per day on Block Buster Movie Pass for $30 a month. That's 60 DVD's a month if I make the trip (my choice) once per day. This includes there rather good selection of both BluRay and HD DVD as well as new releases. If you don't mind going to the store and picking out your DVD's from the current inventory, you will get to watch what you selected that same day and the cost is 50 cents a DVD. Less if you go more often, more if you go less often.

Ok. I guess id be an option if I could go to blockbuster 3 times per week and watch a movie every night, thatd give me 6 a week. Problem is, now way is that an option. Plus there is the competition of new releases, when you go in and they have 40 cases on the shelf with no copies in stock.

Then there's selction. I dont think your local blockbuster can meet Netflix in selection, especially not tv series.

That's easy.

60 DVD a month is not logical!! I guess your going to cancel your cable.

That's just not true.

That's easy.

Blockbuster doesn't carry HD-DVD, only Blu-Ray.

How many do you really watch in a month? If you base your decisions on hypothetical, I find that astounding.

That's just not true.

What? that I researched it or that the research I did (on various forums, BTW) were of posts from people who all lied about their experiences? What I discovered is a complete Netflix society in forums who share ideas on how to improve their chances of getting the movies they want without delay. Also, that there is a large contingent of people who claim to have excellent luck with Netflix but use it to the frequency of 4-8 DVD's a month( I consider this low usage) and are happy with receiving what Netflix decides to send them from their list. They save money and are happy. Netflix is for them. But if you want to watch more than 4 titles a week, Netflix will not work very well. Whether or not you have the time to watch that many movies is not the issue. Each person will have different levels of availability.

Blockbuster doesn't carry HD-DVD, only Blu-Ray.

Tired of this myth. Lets deal in facts. See the image of the HD DVD I rented last evening. Fact- Blockbuster has about twice the inventory in BR as HD DVD at my store. If your store doesn't carry it then you need to address your problem with the BB store manager.

How many do you really watch in a month? If you base your decisions on hypothetical, I find that astounding.

I admit I am unusual BB renter. I actually held the title of the one who rented the most DVD's in a month for 12 straight months at my old store before it was closed. I switched my account to the nearest one that offers HD DVD and BluRay selections. My MoviePass account allows 2 out at a time. I average 10-12 titles out per week. There is no guessing what I will watch each day. I pick what titles based on the store inventory.

Attachments

• SerenityHDDVD.jpg
    SerenityHDDVD.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 114
I admit I am unusual BB renter. I actually held the title of the one who rented the most DVD's in a month for 12 straight months at my old store before it was closed. I switched my account to the nearest one that offers HD DVD and BluRay selections. My MoviePass account allows 2 out at a time. I average 10-12 titles out per week. There is no guessing what I will watch each day. I pick what titles based on the store inventory.

Fresh air? The park? Sunshine? People outside of your house? Do any of these things sound familiar to you? :p

Only semi-kidding--60 movies a month? That's two movies a day. :eek:

The thing I hate about Netflix and any other monthly planned is I feel forced to watch more than I would like to. Thems the breaks with cable/sat as well.

Yeah, 60 a month seems like many but really, it affords me the opportunity to sample many bad movies and if I don't like what I'm watching, I'll stop and go to the next one. Then it also allows me to "rent" some for repeated views without having to fork over another $5. Some weeks I really do watch everything I bring home. When those weeks happen I get more exercise. Lately, I've been hitting it hard at 2 per day because I'm catching up viewing old releases on BluRay and HD DVD. When I get through all those, I will be tapering off to 6-8 per week average.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)