Cancelling Dish Network service

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
I cancelled about a week ago. UPS delivered the shipping box for the HWS and it's going out today.

The CSR I got made quick work my cancellation request even after he mentioned that I was a 20 year customer. So it depends on who you get. Mine made it quick and I didn't have to endure a long sales pitch.

I am now using a Fire TV Recast, OTA TV via two outdoor antennas, plus Philo streaming service for the channels we used to watch on Dish Flex Pack. It is working great for us and saving us $36 a month.

Reactions: Gobucks and HipKat
My rain fade problem keeps getting worse as the trees in my neighbor's yard are growing so tall they now block the path and when they get wet from rain, I lose signal until the leaves dry.

Missing why there is a problem...

500_F_260015653_JfqOt7t6TE75pg7BODR6BwvKXLJVgIdp.jpg

Curious why you are all leaving Dish? Cord cutting or on to something different?

"Cord Cutting" is a new name given to the decision to go with internet TV vs cable or satellite. But it really is just replacing one cord with another.

I think some chose to leave satellite ( DishN. or DirecTV ) or Cable TV because they want to move to internet services that are now available to us. When Cable and Satellite TV first arrived it was a solution to offering more channels than the 3 or 4 main choices but it brought an acceptance of pay to watch TV. People decided they wanted more for a price. Today, Pay TV is the norm and considered a necessity, but every year it keeps getting more and more expensive. Even internet TV gets more and more expensive. IMO, to achieve the convenience of Satellite TV, number of choices and equipment features, internet TV is not really cheaper. So for me and my choices, cost was not a major factor. However, with internet TV, I do have more choice and can change those selections much easier than with Satellite TV. In addition, I am no longer at the mercy of one company's licensing negotiation for service. If my service decides to drop HBO and I like it, my only option is to accept their decision or I can pay more to get it on the internet. Dish Network did improve choices by offering what they had into smaller channel packages I could select. When they did this the cost was a bit higher than internet for my selection of favorite channels.

I used to have cable TV for many years but when satellite TV came I was able to do more choices for less money but the equipment up front cost was higher. Satellite TV had it's problems which I was able to resolve. It was getting a clear view of the bird in the sky. My location suffered blockage in that direction by trees that when wet from rain would lose signal. I solved the problem with mounting the dishes on the roof and that gave me 20 years of clear sky until the trees grew taller. For the past 3 years I started to lose signal on all but 61.5 angle every time it rained. The past year even that is now blocked by neighbor's trees. This problem, plus the fact of greater freedom of choice for less money made internet TV a smarter choice.

I wouldn't say internet TV is for everyone as some people have bandwidth caps. I don't! Also, some people have poor internet service with outages, and slow CSR response to problems. As a Comcast business client, I don't and since I have had that service class, my internet has been only out for no longer than a couple hours. Very reliable. There are other technical benefits too. But, when the service does go out, I still have OTA TV and phone internet with bandwidth caps through Verizon LTE that I can feed my network here as a backup.

It just made sense to retire the satellite service and do the "cord cutting" internet TV choice game. It's not for everyone but for me it made sense.

I'll probably cut the cord when some streaming service develops a decent DVR. I've gotten spoiled to my DVR on the DISH receivers, first a VIP211K and now my Wally. I just can't stand to watch commercials anymore. I even delay watch the local news for 10 minutes so I can skip the commercials. I'm addicted.

I'll probably cut the cord when some streaming service develops a decent DVR. I've gotten spoiled to my DVR on the DISH receivers, first a VIP211K and now my Wally. I just can't stand to watch commercials anymore. I even delay watch the local news for 10 minutes so I can skip the commercials. I'm addicted.
That's right where I am - a dependable DVR and also abhor commercials

Looks like Tivo4K may have a Solution this spring??

• Love
Reactions: HipKat
Curious why you are all leaving Dish? Cord cutting or on to something different?

Probably the same reason many are leaving Dish, Direct, cable, is the higher cost of channels. Their $36 a month may be fine for them, but not me. I like the Dish line up. Mentioning streaming, when I renewed a 2 year deal with Dish this Dec, I also have been with Dish for over 20 years, I looked around to see if I could save a bunch of money. Sure I could, but would lose access to a lot of channels I like. I am sticking with Dish for another couple of years. They gave me $25 off a month, so not a bad deal for what I get AT250+Supers+Movie pack. To really get a decent pack of most everything a person wants, thery are still looking at at least $70-$80 a month. For me, Sling doesn't even offer every I want. No streaming service does. Nice add- on's, but not for my main core programming. Plus the DVR service is all over the board. I like everything to my outboard HDD until I want to watch it. I tried Philo. A great bunch of channels for $20, but little news, and no Disney, etc. No sports, but not being a sports fan, that was fine. But the Philo Cloud DVR is good for one month. If you have not watched a show in the month, it is deleted. I have had an issue for probably a year with the OTA guide on the vip211k. Nothing has been done to fix it. All of the network guides are all messed up, so it was hard to DVR a program OTA. I have a Fire Stick, I added a Re-cast from Amazon, giving me a 2 week free guide on all OTA, and it is accurate, covering channels Dish did not have a guide for. Dual tuner with a 500GB HDD built in and I can add a outboard one if i ever need to. So with the vip211k, I have one Dish tuner, one OTA, and two additional OTA tuners with the Recast, so it works well, as an add on, but again streaming does not (as yet) offer everything satellite/cable has to offer.

Totally agree. The OTA Recast, does give the option of jumping ahead every 30 seconds to skip the ads. That is a must for me. I refuse to watch 4-7 minutes of ads in a break. If tomorrow, there were no skip feature, I would drop a lot of channels. Probably a tiny core pack, and the rest premiums or on demand. By the way, having the Fire stick and an older Dish receiver (owned), the Fire stick gives me Dish Anywhere, so I have for no extra cost the Dish on Demand, which is another reason I stay with them. Add to that I am Grandfathered in on the Super Stations. No where else to get those. Many reason I stay with Dish.

Totally agree. The OTA Recast, does give the option of jumping ahead every 30 seconds to skip the ads. That is a must for me. I refuse to watch 4-7 minutes of ads in a break. If tomorrow, there were no skip feature, I would drop a lot of channels. Probably a tiny core pack, and the rest premiums or on demand. By the way, having the Fire stick and an older Dish receiver (owned), the Fire stick gives me Dish Anywhere, so I have for no extra cost the Dish on Demand, which is another reason I stay with them. Add to that I am Grandfathered in on the Super Stations. No where else to get those. Many reason I stay with Dish.
Yeah, I've stayed away form Hulu because apparently they have ads? AndI've been paying for YouTube Premium for a few years, to avoid the ads

Yeah, I've stayed away form Hulu because apparently they have ads? AndI've been paying for YouTube Premium for a few years, to avoid the ads

I can put up with skipping ads on news and TV programs. But I refuse to have to skip ads for movies. Often, the movies are cut to fill that 2 hour slot to get the ads in. Years ago I was watching a movie off a commercial channel, I think WPIX NY, and I had seen the same movie off HBO a couple years before. WPIX cut the living daylights out of the movie, to the point where I could not even follow it. I learned right there watching a movie with commercials was a total waste of time.

Reactions: navychop
I can put up with skipping ads on news and TV programs. But I refuse to have to skip ads for movies. Often, the movies are cut to fill that 2 hour slot to get the ads in. Years ago I was watching a movie off a commercial channel, I think WPIX NY, and I had seen the same movie off HBO a couple years before. WPIX cut the living daylights out of the movie, to the point where I could not even follow it. I learned right there watching a movie with commercials was a total waste of time.
Agreed, I was a kid when I saw the first movie on TV that I had seen at a theater and noticed all the cuts. Ugh!

Reactions: mwdxer1
The normal formula I use for ad skipping on live TV with a DVR is 20 minutes delay per hour. A broadcast hour is 40 minutes of programming and 20 minutes of commercials in rounded off numbers. A broadcast half hour is 28:30 when you buy the full half from the network to run your show. This gives the network 90 seconds for their time. I produced over a dozen different TV show series for over 18 years for several networks and the specs were always the same 28:30 per half hour. In that 28:30 I could do anything I wanted, full show, or break it up with my own commercials. If I screwed up and went over the network would chop off the end of the show. They are very strict on timing to the second.

As for cord cutting project for me, I chose to run simultaneous services for at least 30 days to make sure I was happy with what I had new. I discovered no single system would meet all my needs so I ended up with a TIVO Edge + Mini Vox for local broadcast OTA stations and an Apple TV 4K streaming box for those cable news stations and others like NG, DIY, History, SciFi, etc. Both get the big boys like Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon. The TIVO actually did better on commercial skipping than I expected as it has a feature that does auto skip. When a commercial break starts the is a cut and immediate jump to the end of the break. I don't even need to push a button on the remote. If the feature is blocked on a recording for some reason, I still have the usual 30 second skip ahead.

To watch the cable channels on Apple TV you do need to pay for a service. I am trying out Fubo TV now but there are others that do what I want and I may switch later. Most of these offer a la cart packages, commercial skipping with a cloud DVR which works as well as the local DVR hard drive. The Apple TV 4K isn't for everyone but it has special advantages if you have ipads, iphones as it can stream to those devices when you are away from home. I believe the TIVO can do that too but I haven't tested that yet.

Yeah, I've stayed away form Hulu because apparently they have ads?
Yes on their basic service but for a few $ more a month you can have Hulu commercial free. Hulu also has a service for the cable channels but it lacks some networks that I wanted. The services are constantly changing, improving, dropping, adding new.

Reactions: LQQK and HipKat
The normal formula I use for ad skipping on live TV with a DVR is 20 minutes delay per hour. A broadcast hour is 40 minutes of programming and 20 minutes of commercials in rounded off numbers. A broadcast half hour is 28:30 when you buy the full half from the network to run your show. This gives the network 90 seconds for their time. I produced over a dozen different TV show series for over 18 years for several networks and the specs were always the same 28:30 per half hour. In that 28:30 I could do anything I wanted, full show, or break it up with my own commercials. If I screwed up and went over the network would chop off the end of the show. They are very strict on timing to the second.

As for cord cutting project for me, I chose to run simultaneous services for at least 30 days to make sure I was happy with what I had new. I discovered no single system would meet all my needs so I ended up with a TIVO Edge + Mini Vox for local broadcast OTA stations and an Apple TV 4K streaming box for those cable news stations and others like NG, DIY, History, SciFi, etc. Both get the big boys like Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon. The TIVO actually did better on commercial skipping than I expected as it has a feature that does auto skip. When a commercial break starts the is a cut and immediate jump to the end of the break. I don't even need to push a button on the remote. If the feature is blocked on a recording for some reason, I still have the usual 30 second skip ahead.

To watch the cable channels on Apple TV you do need to pay for a service. I am trying out Fubo TV now but there are others that do what I want and I may switch later. Most of these offer a la cart packages, commercial skipping with a cloud DVR which works as well as the local DVR hard drive. The Apple TV 4K isn't for everyone but it has special advantages if you have ipads, iphones as it can stream to those devices when you are away from home. I believe the TIVO can do that too but I haven't tested that yet.

Yes on their basic service but for a few $ more a month you can have Hulu commercial free. Hulu also has a service for the cable channels but it lacks some networks that I wanted. The services are constantly changing, improving, dropping, adding new.

Ah, the good ol' days. Watching re-runs on DVD's from the 50's had that 28.30 time. An hour show was about 56. Yes, an half hour show runs about 20-21 minutes of show today. I wonder what the breaking point is? But today when you can watch TV on DVD or On demand without ads, that is great. Years ago, we did not have that option.

I have Pluto TV, which I find myself watching more and more. FUBO has a lot of the channels I watch, but it's not much different than what I pay now for Dish. YouTube TV is the same way, more affordable, but still missing some channels I watch. So we're getting closer. That Tivo 4K link posted looks enticing. I'm keeping my eyes on that one

I have Pluto TV, which I find myself watching more and more. FUBO has a lot of the channels I watch, but it's not much different than what I pay now for Dish. YouTube TV is the same way, more affordable, but still missing some channels I watch. So we're getting closer. That Tivo 4K link posted looks enticing. I'm keeping my eyes on that one

We tried Sling and settled on PS Vue which has now gone away. The two problems we hated the most were who was responsible when something went wrong? When we had buffering we would call our internet provider and they would tell us it was Roku’s fault and then when we called them they would say it was Sling or PS Vues fault. It was an endless pass the buck. Now we at least have one point of contact again. The occasional rain fade is a minor problem compared to what we had as cordcutters.

i did purchase a Tablo DVR when we cut the cord and it worked well for us. We may end up being cordcutters again when our two yr lock expires in a few months. Just depends on what the increase will be. Right now we are paying $30 more than what we were as cordcutters and that’s acceptable for the convenience factor of having pretty problem free viewing and a Hopper3.

Reactions: HipKat

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts