Cancelling Dish question

darrengs

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 13, 2012
NJ
I am currently running the numbers to see if I want to switch to cable and own my own hardware instead of paying the ever increasing hardware fees to Dish.

My question is; if I call and cancel can I schedule a shutdown date or do I need to call on the day I want to actually cancel service?

I am currently running the numbers to see if I want to switch to cable and own my own hardware instead of paying the ever increasing hardware fees to Dish.

My question is; if I call and cancel can I schedule a shutdown date or do I need to call on the day I want to actually cancel service?
Owning or leasing the hardware with DISH, fees will be the same. Fees with a cable company you will have to determine. Canceling with DISH you can do either way.

AFAIK, you don't own your equipment with cable. When I canceled Time/Warner after a great promo expired, I had to return my equipment. And cable raises it's fees just as Dish does. Compare the channels you watch and see what packages you would need to subscribe. Compare the features on the dvr to what you have now. I know the dvr that TWC supplied was inferior to the Hopper.

I moved to Direct....Waited for Direct to install, then called dish...It stopped right then...only other thing was to send equipment back....
At my other home the HD rental boxes were higher than dish..

$10 per box to return Dish equipment. You might try downsizing to just one receiver then cancelling (sometimes for downsizing they will waive the $10 return charge. Then you only pay on return fee.

AFAIK, you don't own your equipment with cable. When I canceled Time/Warner after a great promo expired, I had to return my equipment. And cable raises it's fees just as Dish does. Compare the channels you watch and see what packages you would need to subscribe. Compare the features on the dvr to what you have now. I know the dvr that TWC supplied was inferior to the Hopper.

No I would rent the m-cable card for $2/month and set up a home 6 tuner DVR either with Tivo or WMC. Still researching/pricing out my options.

Reactions: old corps
$10 per box to return Dish equipment. You might try downsizing to just one receiver then cancelling (sometimes for downsizing they will waive the $10 return charge. Then you only pay on return fee.
I do like the Hopper/Joey, Dish Anywhere, DiRT and Dish overall and I have downsized some as I am seeing how low I can get my cost and still be happy with it.

IIRC, there we no equipment fee increases this year.

You can schedule a cancellation up to 30 days out. $10/label to return equipment, unless you choose to use your own method of shipping. You could also talk to Dish loyalty, and it's very possible they offer something beyond $5 off continued, such as a $10-15 off for something like 6-12 months.

You can schedule a cancellation up to 30 days out. $10/label to return equipment, unless you choose to use your own method of shipping. You could also talk to Dish loyalty, and it's very possible they offer something beyond $5 off continued, such as a $10-15 off for something like 6-12 months.

I figure once I decide if it is worth switching I will give them a call. However, once I buy any equipment it will most likely be too late to stay.

Also my wife said our 3 month old replacement Hopper was acting up, if it dies that may help make the decision to move.

I would call them now then, and tell them your concerns. I can't imagine after dipping below 14M, they will want to give to many more up, and will likely offer the world of you are kind but firm on what needs taken care of.

Reactions: old corps
My dad has to cancel Dish because he's having heart surgery and moving into a care facility. He can barely breathe and can't walk more than a few steps. He's 88. He is a long time dish customer and has a VIP211 receiver.

He asked me to call and cancel for him because he has a hard time communicating.

Two questions before I call Dish to cancel for him:
1) If he cancels during the middle of his billing period, will he get a pro-rated refund or would he forfeit the rest of the month after he moves out?
2) Will Dish want the ViP 211 back?

Go on line to his account and if it isn't set up , you can do so and add your name as other family member that is authorized to talk to DISH for his account. I have that set up on all 3 of my DISH accounts for mine, my parents and my aunt , all in my name.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)