Cancelling Dish...under contract...

coalminer

Original poster
Jan 8, 2005
I'm thinking about cancelling my dish network and going back to local digital cable for thier HD lineup. I have a 2 year contract with them, but I lose my local channels quite often, if it's raining, snowing, cloudy...and it drives me crazy.

Who has cancelled their dish while still under contract, and what are the reprecussions?

coalminer said:
I'm thinking about cancelling my dish network and going back to local digital cable for thier HD lineup. I have a 2 year contract with them, but I lose my local channels quite often, if it's raining, snowing, cloudy...and it drives me crazy.

Who has cancelled their dish while still under contract, and what are the reprecussions?

The contract probably shows their early cancellation fee. Expect it to be quite steep (several hundred dollars). If you signed-up through a retailer, both DISH and the retailer can charge you early cancellation fees.

Welcome aboard coalminer! :)

This sounds like a poor dish aim. Usually easy to fix. Exception: SuperDish 105.

What has Dish Customer Support told you when you've called for help? You HAVE called them or your local retailer, right?

Thanks for the response. Yes I have called Dish to discuss the problem. The only thing they have told me, was that local channels can be interferred with due to weather, it is rather inconvenient.

I don't really want to wait 2 years, as I think Dish's lineup of HD programs/channels is nowhere near that of our local Digital Cable company. I think Dish's HD package is a little on the steep side.

I do have the satellite pointed right, according to Dish...I just have a hard time with local stations.

coalminer said:
I don't really want to wait 2 years, as I think Dish's lineup of HD programs/channels is nowhere near that of our local Digital Cable company. I think Dish's HD package is a little on the steep side.
Well should have done some homework before signing up.

coalminer said:
I do have the satellite pointed right, according to Dish...I just have a hard time with local stations.
Just because its pointed right it might still need a little "tweak" ;) .

OK. Well, no one else is gonna step up and ask the proper tech questions, so I guess I will.

What kind of gear (and do NOT say just "Dish 500" - that's meaningless)?

What's your signal stength on 110 & 119 transponders 11 & 12?

What are your receiver model(s)?

Anything else you can think might be relevant.

Some technical information I can give you:

Dish 322. Reciever is 322 I only have the 1 reciever for 2 televisions.

Signal strength:

Transponder 11, Satellite 119 signal strength 96
Transponder 12, Satellite 119 signal strength 90

Transponder 11, Satellite 110 signal strength 99
Transponder 12, Satellite 110 signal strength 100

Those look OK. Are you using a superdish? If so, a 105 or 121 SD. If you don't know, what is your zip code? If you have a superdish, what is your signal on 105/121? If you have 105, it's a weaker bird so it needs to be tweaked as good as possible. I can get 63 out of the 105 and that's it. I've had zero problems with rain/snow so far.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)