Cancelling DISH

tjguitar

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Aug 23, 2006
Does anyone know if I can schedule a cancellation upfront or if I need to wait until the day I want to cancel service?

Live chat was completely useless and referred me to an 800 number - the whole point is I don't want to waste my time on the phone if I am just going to have to call again in a few days to cancel.

Come. Why must you cancel?

Let us share this sweet refreshing beverage and discuss it!

Seriously, why do you what to cancel? Dish pause is an option.

As I have said before many times. Goodbye! The rest of us will continue to recieve a great product with ongoing new engineered products for the future.
Happy subscriber for over 25 years!

Reactions: iadubber
As I have said before many times. Goodbye! The rest of us will continue to recieve a great product with ongoing new engineered products for the future.
Happy subscriber for over 25 years!
How have you been a subscriber for "over 25 years" Dish Network didn't come out until 1996, DirecTV/USSB/DSS in 1994. Did you maybe get TVRO programming from the Satellite Source which was Echosphere/Echostar's programming arm at one time and get migrated over to Dish?

Reactions: old corps
Just to update the thread and publicly announce the nickel and diming that DISH has instituted, when I told the phone CSR that I would not be going on the roof to retrieve the LNB, Dish wants to charge me $145 to send somebody out to remove the entire DISH. Sounds dumb since some future tenant may want to subscribe to dish at some point.

I know in the past people have reported that Dish says don't worry about the LNB when it is on the roof, apparently that's not the case anymore.

I'm hoping someone from DIRT can do the right thing and fix this, despite the fact that I am not bringing them much future revenue.

You won't have to worry about he LNB. If you cannot get to it safely, leave it there. No notes required. If Dishnet satellite internet, you may need to return the TRIA. If you wanted a tech to deinstall the dish, there is a fee for that as the dish is considered part of the home structure now.

You won't have to worry about he LNB. If you cannot get to it safely, leave it there. No notes required. If Dishnet satellite internet, you may need to return the TRIA. If you wanted a tech to deinstall the dish, there is a fee for that as the dish is considered part of the home structure now.

I do NOT want the dish de-installed. I am hoping that someone from DIRT can cancel this technician visit that I assured the CSR was not necessary. How does a short term customer know more about DISH policies than their own employees?

The CSR even said they would waive the fee for this visit, so they are actually going to pay someone to come out and remove the LNB. Makes no sense at all.

You can send a PM to a dirt member, on here, or call or chat in and just tell them to cancel the work order. Worst case, I would actually call and immediately ask for the loyalty department and reschedule cancellation. I have a feeling the rep you spoke with gave that bs line to prevent having to set up the actual cancellation, as it affects his personal numbers. Crappy business on his part, if that's the case. Everyone has to eat the SH!T sandwhich sometimes. But that would be you honest to god best bet, from a former rep.

I PMed Matt, who does not work Wednesdays. It's really odd. The guy asked for the address for my return kit and said all the disclosures about $10 per receiver return fee and $20 per unused month, so it seems weird that he would not have actually canceled it. I'll try to have a chat agent cancel the work order.

I would also double check about the box return fee. It use to be $17, and is even reported on the RSA as $17 with no update to $10. I'm not saying they are wrong, but if I were you I would want to double check as $7 could cause you more frustration than you want. The $20/month remaining cancellation fee is normal for accounts setup after the iPad enrollment ended or if someone declined the ipad(think all those commitments should be expired by now with the exception of paused accounts.). Just trying to make sure you have all info, so you don't get pissed later on. I know most people like using chat to have a copy of the chat record, but a lot of the reps on there(not all) are clueless. I like a lot of them too, but have never been a fan of their loyalty team really. Hell, I'm not a huge fan of the phone loyalty team, but that's a different story. Calling in this case is your absolute best bet. And once it is cancelled, you won't be able to access mydish.com. That's how you will know it is cancelled. Fyi.

For Future reference, just send them a PM on Twitter and somebody on DIRT will come and take care of it.

Jason was super helpful. I wish DIRT could just process cancellations in the first place. It would be so much more efficient.

Last edited:
Up to 30 days in advance. But yes, out of curiosity, why canceling? Price, channels, bad experience?

I moved back to an area with UVerse. Way cheaper to bundle internet and TV, and unlike Cox or Time Warner, it is affordable. Plus it's only a 12 month contract so you can keep switching with roommate every year to keep the discounts.

Doesn't have NHL Network, but that's my only frustration. I get basically all the channels ATT offers for about what I was paying with Dish for Top200 and Cox Internet. Speeds are a bit slower, but manageable.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts