Cannot connect to cameras ports won't open

mrhyne

Original poster
Jun 11, 2014
Having problems opening ports I need through dishnet. I have already portforwarded my router which is a netgear 3500L. When I try to view if the ports are open it says request timed out. Could someone please help?

It won't work with sat internet.
I've got a link I'll post for you in just a little while.
There is a workaround but is going to require a different approach.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Thank you stardust3. I've been trying to use dyndns for them, due to the fact of a dynamic ip, but without the ports open it is impossible. I can access them locally but not remotely.

http://jacksontech.net/index.php/articles/hughesnet-networking-faq/

Q. Does HughesNet filter any ports? -or- Can I configure port forwarding on the HT1000? -or- Is there a firewall on the HT1000?
No and no and no. However, even when directly connected to the modem, you’re behind a CGN (Carrier-Grade NAT) layer; HughesNet masquerades many customers behind a handful of massive NAT gateways. If you’re planning on remote access, you’re in for a disappointment. (See below.)

Q. Do I have a public IP address? -or- Can I access my computer remotely? -or- Can I access my security camera? -or- I have a dynamic DNS provider so I can still access my network at home, right?
The answer for the first is “no” and for the next three is “No, not without creative workarounds.”

The IPv4 address given to your networked devices via the HughesNet modem is not a public IP address. It is a private IPv4 address in a range reserved for ISPs via RFC6598 for use in Carrier Grade NAT (CGN) systems. So, most customers with home routers are behind two layers of NAT–sometimes called “double NAT.”

CGN functions much like your home router; many computers are “hidden” on a private network behind a single public IP address (which may be dynamic or static) using a mechanism called Network Address Translation (NAT). In this case, the scenario has been scaled up. Many HughesNet customers are situated behind large NAT gateways run by HughesNet. The network traffic of all the customers behind each gateway appears, to the rest of the Internet, to originate from one IP address. This practice is common among cellular wireless providers and some other ISPs. Among other reasons, it attempts to stave off IPv4 starvation/exhaustion by assigning many customers to one IP address, as opposed to giving each customer their own IP address.

Opening a port on your home router will not help, because the upstream HughesNet NAT gateways break end-to-end connectivity.

There are various workarounds, depending on what you want to do:

• OpenVPN (complete access to your network)
  • SSH reverse port forwarding (useful for forwarding one or two services)
  • LogMeIn Himachi (easy setup for a simple VPN)
  • TeamViewer (remote control of one or two computers)
It’s worth noting that the IPv6 addresses handed out by the modem are reachable from the Internet, although the prefix may change if your modem roams between gateways. If your network is IPv6 ready, you can take advantage of HughesNet’s IPv6 infrastructure.

I personally never tried this, but hopefully this will get you pointed in the right direction.

You'll have to keep us updated...

I have opened port 8000 for remote viewing for a camera system with dishnet. I was unable to do it with Hughes net.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!