Cannot get a lock with AIM and 3-LNB

OK, guys what am I doing wrong?

I am trying to set up RV reception with Directv. I am at home with a clear view of the satellites (using Dishpointer app), using a new 3-LNB (NOT SWM) with a new slimline reflector. The mount is plumbed with a carpenter’s level.

I cannot get a lock on any satellite using the AIM meter, Satlook lite meter, nor the receiver (HR22-100) and tv combination. The AIM shows a strong -20dbM signal strength and I can peak it in azimuth and elevation. I am told that the 3-LNB does not care about tilt, although my tilt is set to 73 degrees as per the dishpointer app and the AIM. The AIM shows all X’s in the EIV test. The AIM also shows 13vdc at 210ma to the LNB.

The AIM and Satlook Lite meters are good since I can hook them up to my home dish and get lock on all satellites.

For my zip code I should be at 200 azimuth, 53 elevation and 73 tilt. The dish peaks (-20dbm) very close to those values, but no lock.

What am I doing wrong? Any suggestions other than tracking down an installer and paying him/her to analyze my problem?

Thanks
First let's clarify terms... Tilt is the deviation of the reflector from horizontal and should be set at between 60-62° (I always just lock mine at 60 unless tuning for an SL5 or RB5)... Azimuth and Elevation are the common adjustment parameters... A bent dish will present problems on SATs 99 and 103 but not locking on 101, because that's in the very center of the reflector... You are definitely just reading the wrong SAT !! (AIM updates have nothing to do with the problem)... There's other SATs close by that any AIM will read when "ballparking" a tuning procedure... Add about 5° to your elevation setting then slowly swing your azimuth to its peak (not a lock) first, then begin adjusting elevation downward to continue to peak the dish... You should then get a lock working in from THAT peak... I run into this very scenario often, since I peak an average of five or six dishes a day

First let's clarify terms... Tilt is the deviation of the reflector from horizontal and should be set at between 60-62° (I always just lock mine at 60 unless tuning for an SL5 or RB5)... Azimuth and Elevation are the common adjustment parameters... A bent dish will present problems on SATs 99 and 103 but not locking on 101, because that's in the very center of the reflector... You are definitely just reading the wrong SAT !! (AIM updates have nothing to do with the problem)... There's other SATs close by that any AIM will read when "ballparking" a tuning procedure... Add about 5° to your elevation setting then slowly swing your azimuth to its peak (not a lock) first, then begin adjusting elevation downward to continue to peak the dish... You should then get a lock working in from THAT peak... I run into this very scenario often, since I peak an average of five or six dishes a day
Just reread your post (in full this time)... You're clearly aware of the tuning parameters... (sorry) So just skip past that blather and try my suggested process, it's always worked for me... I'm in the middle east coast so my tilts are never far from sixty... But tilt settings are another parameter regarding the outside two SATs anyway, so my advise still stands :)

The only sats that will light up an AIM on Ku is other DBS sats like 110, 119 and whatever Dish has due to the frequency range. DTV and Dish downlink in the 12.2 to 12.7GHz range where most other Ku sats are 11.7 to 12.2GHz downlink, so the AIM would not be responding to those. I can't imagine someone spending that much time and not hitting 101 if they are following instructions and even with a bend dish, so I'm betting the LNB is wrong or broken or??

Even with a warped reflector I was able to get 101 just fine, it was 99 and 103 that would not go above 60 until I mussled the sides together a little to increase the curve of the reflector.

So even with the crappiest of dish you should be able to get 101, if you can't get 101 I'm leaning towards bad LNBF.

Try getting 101 with the tilt square at 90 degrees.

I'm not sure what those SATs are, but I know for a fact my Aim hits on them all the time... Mid East Coast they're low to the left of DTV's... You'll get a great signal strength (almost too good) but never a lock... My tried and proven resolution is to aim purposefully high then work down from there... I've tuned literally thousands of dishes to date in the course of my tenure as DTV Tech... If he's getting a neg 20dBm strength I doubt it's an LNB problem, possible, but not likely

The AIM will be looking for a specific transponder on 101 at the start of a job and only DBS sats will have any transponders or energy within that band. I don't know of any DBS sats to the left or east of 101 but there is 110 and 119 that can give you signal strength but not lock. Those would be to the right or west of 101, is that what you are referring to?

With thousands of dishes under your belt you have quite a bit of experience over me there. But I wrote the installation manual that you follow..... I still think something is wrong with the OPs LNB like the wrong pol or feed is being selected or ??

I'm not sure what those SATs are, but I know for a fact my Aim hits on them all the time... Mid East Coast they're low to the left of DTV's... You'll get a great signal strength (almost too good) but never a lock... My tried and proven resolution is to aim purposefully high then work down from there... I've tuned literally thousands of dishes to date in the course of my tenure as DTV Tech... If he's getting a neg 20dBm strength I doubt it's an LNB problem, possible, but not likely

The AIM will be looking for a specific transponder on 101 at the start of a job and only DBS sats will have any transponders or energy within that band. I don't know of any DBS sats to the left or east of 101 but there is 110 and 119 that can give you signal strength but not lock. Those would be to the right or west of 101, is that what you are referring to?

With thousands of dishes under your belt you have quite a bit of experience over me there. But I wrote the installation manual that you follow..... I still think something is wrong with the OPs LNB like the wrong pol or feed is being selected or ??
SATs 110 and 119 are at least ten degrees to the lower right of 101 ... One of these days I might look up what my AIM is "seeing" when it's getting such a strong signal from an incorrect source, but it's honestly never concerned me, I'm just aware that it does and increase my elevation by about fifteen degrees then start sweeping down from there ;)

"sweeping" eh? lol. I've always used a compass and set the elevation per dishpointer's specs and usually get some 101 signal as soon as I plug in a receiver to fine tune.

"sweeping" eh? lol. I've always used a compass and set the elevation per dishpointer's specs and usually get some 101 signal as soon as I plug in a receiver to fine tune.
I set the Elevation and Skew first, then use compass to get a general area and sweep from there.
Compass is never right on ...

You can never get close to the dish as its metal and it messes with the compass.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)