Cannot get HDMI hook-up to work on HR 10-250

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Voomer55

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Mar 4, 2005
Indianapolis, IN
I am a former Voomer and went with D. I purchased the equipment from Value Electronics (great people). My problem is I cannot get the HR 10-250 HDMI to DVI connection to work. The TV menu shows the DVI as "Connected" but then shows "No Signal" The componet hook-up works fine. I have a Sammy DLP 43 and my Voom DVI to DVI hook-up worked just fine. I talked to Robert at VE and he sent out another HR 10-250 and it is doing the same thing "DVI Connected - No Signal". Could this be the HDMI to DVI cable? I have tried both that came with each receiver and no luck. Should I try a Monster cable? I even removed the cover to make sure the HDMI board in the box did not come unplugged during shipping. Everything looks fine. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

DO NOT try a monster cable, definitely try another generic cable. If not you could have the HDMI failure problem that has plagued these units. I got lucky, mine works like a champ.

Oh and on the Monster Cable. There is nothing better from analog connections, but they make no difference over a digital connection!!!

The problem is mechanical. Inside the HDTIVO, the HDMI daughter card is plugged into the main board and held in place with a small copper spring clip, This can get dislodged and the connection broken or intermittant. Yes, it is a poor design. I lost my HDMI connection once and simply fixed it so the spring clip would not allow the daughter card to come loose again. Hasn't been a problem since. If you're not inclined to work on the internals of the HDTIVO, don't attempt it. Just get and try another under warranty. I broke my warranty by adding dual hard drives for increased capacity so self repair was necessary.

Voomer55 - check the build date on the back of the HDTivo. If it has one, you might have the dreaded HDMI card problem. If there isn't a date on the back, I would def. try another cable (the 2nd tivo should have come with another set, no?).

I tried the second sets cables with no luck. The manufacture date on my unit is 11-15-04. I have be surfing the web and have found that I am one of many who have this problem. I am working with Robert at VE and I am waiting for a response on what to do next. Thanks for you reply...

I had the same problem with the HR10-250. D* sent me out another box and informed me that they were downloading a software upgrade(version 3.1.5f-01-2-357) to the box. I also read in the instruction manual for my TV(Toshiba 65HDX82), to turn the TV on first, to ensure that the DVI/HDCP device is reset properly....then, turn the HR10-250 D* box on.....and reverse this procedure when turning both systems off. This should keep the TV and the HR10-250 in sync. Note: Before I turn my TV off, I put the HR10-250 in it's "standby" mode, using the remote control....then I turn the TV off. I noticed that with the HR10-250, in the standby mode, recordings are not interrupted and it gives me the option to turn my TV on first, then bring the HR10-250 out of it's standby mode....the picture then comes on, using the DVI/HDMI connection.
Not sure if the problem was the HDMI card in the first D* HD DVR or the software but this second D* HD DVR, has been working fine for the past 2 months.
What I am writing, may not help anyone with the problem(s) that they are having but I have learned from reading the post on satelliteguys.us, that the sharing of experiences, knowledge and ideas, will help us all make wiser decisions.

Peace

have you check the output of the HD TIVO??
To place a finer point on my question...
I noticed that not all HD TVs support 480i output from the HD TIVO, so if you are sending a 480i signal I'd try trying a diff. output, say 480p or 720p. If output is the problem you should see a picture pop up right away as you change the output res.

I recently bought an hr10-250 as well, and the HDMI port is dead. how hard of a time do you get when you try to get a replacement? what steps do I need to take?

Unfortunately I have had 2 replacement units since I originally purchased mine. One had the HDMI port problem and the other had a bad HDD. It was not hard to get a replacement either time. The first time I contacted D* and they walked me thru some things to verify that it was indeed a bad port. They then sent me a replacement. The second time was easy but I went through the dealer I bought it from.

thanks for the reply. my problem is I bought it on ebay, and didn't read the fine print... thing came with a bad hdmi port.... but supposedly the manufactureres warranty is still valid.... not sure where to go from there. is the picture that different from the component and/or s-video and hdmi? and whats the deal with the 4mpeg format? are the hr10's really going to be obslete soon?

I believe to "cash in" on that warrenty you'd need to contact DirecTV. They are listed as the manf.

you prolly wont notice much of a diff in the picture if you go with component, though the lines might be a tad less crisp.

the switch to MPEG4 will require new receivers, including our HDTIVOs

riggscm said:
the switch to MPEG4 will require new receivers, including our HDTIVOs

With that being said rumor has it that D* will be upgrading current HR10-250 owners for little or no cost. There are numerous threads covering this.

Well I am glad to say that I received my 3rd replacement HR10 250 and it works fine using the HDMI to DVI connection. I am keeping my fingers crossed that it continues. I bought mine from Value Electronics so it has not been a totally bad experience. Robert was very helpful. I still miss VOOM and never would have changed. I hate the remote control of the HR10-250. The buttons are small, no backlighting. I have read about the Harmony remotes but I don't want to spend $150.00 to $200.00 on a remote. I only have a DVD player and a VCR hooked up. Does anyone have any advice on a less expensive alternative?

...The manufacture date on my unit is 11-15-04.[/QUOTE said:
Why are these November units still in the supply chain?!?!? I know Robert can't control what in in his distributors inventory, but Jeez, November? I've been sitting on the fence for a long time and I'm ready to buy one but I'm not so sure now.

Tom J

Voomer55 said:
...I have read about the Harmony remotes but I don't want to spend $150.00 to $200.00 on a remote. I only have a DVD player and a VCR hooked up. Does anyone have any advice on a less expensive alternative?

Its no where near as great as my Harmony 688, but you might consider this remote from Radio Shack. I had its big brother for a couple of years, and got by with it just fine.

IMHO Harmony is the way to go, but I understand your pricing concerns.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)