Can't Add Strong Digital Station on 811

Offroad

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 13, 2004
Recently I decided to have my 811 receiver redetect my Analog and Digital Stations.

I now have one digital station (number 44 in my area) that is not detected. If try to manually add the station, when I key in 44 the signal bar jumps in the 86-89 range which should be a strong signal, but when I finish the manual add the station doesn't show up.

I had another digital station that was number 52 that didn't show up on a scan but added manualy. Other stations that range in strength from the high 60's to the mid 90's add just fine on a digital station scan. The 44 station carries my local NBC HD.

I have tried soft and power off resets with no luck.

Any ideas? Thanks.

I've had similar problems, particularly with the digital NBC feed. The signal is in the high 80's / low 90's but sometimes it will show up as being remapped (11-01), other times it will show up as the digital channel (35-01), and sometimes it won't show up at all.

Lately I've been having problems with all the OTA digitals just disappearing from the Guide even though they are still listed in my Favorite listings. A soft boot will usually bring them back. Seems the problem started when they added the "info." for the OTA channels.

Get it fixed DISH !! :mad:

dfergie is correct, local station OTA mapping is controlled by the PSIP. Most people forget that most stations are not transmitting ATSC at full power and or they haven't had the experience yet to perfect the transmission and or are even broadcasting from a temporary tower/equipment or etc...

You can learn more about PSIP here.

Jason

dfergie said:
Sometimes the local stations psip can be off(mis adjusted) you might call them...
My so called "local" and only digital station is a translator for the Albuqurque Abc affiliate. I am the only one in this area that apparently knows they even exist ( It is rare when I watch it) but it is off quite a bit(black screen strong sig) so I call or e-mail the engineer and someone has to travel the 300 miles down here to fix. They cannot pass hd thru it(one reason I don't watch) but they say they are trying to get it down here one day. ( and it is usually psip probs as the channel won't map properly)

dfergie said:
My so called "local" and only digital station is a translator for the Albuqurque Abc affiliate. I am the only one in this area that apparently knows they even exist ( It is rare when I watch it) but it is off quite a bit(black screen strong sig) so I call or e-mail the engineer and someone has to travel the 300 miles down here to fix. They cannot pass hd thru it(one reason I don't watch) but they say they are trying to get it down here one day. ( and it is usually psip probs as the channel won't map properly)
Hehe...I had a conversation with one of my locals chief engineer about their HD simulcast and when they were going to improve...he told me that they are feeding HDTV by retransmitting off a DirecTV feed...:no

nippjas said:
Hehe...I had a conversation with one of my locals chief engineer about their HD simulcast and when they were going to improve...he told me that they are feeding HDTV by retransmitting off a DirecTV feed...:no
This engineer said he is trying to work a deal with one or more of the Alb. stations to work togather with this translator to provide hd (they would share the xmiter and costs I guess)

I tried to add the station today and it added the first time.

Oh well, at least its working now.

Many stations never installed a full PSIP system and do not have a guide. This will change soon, as the FCC has given all stations 120 days to provide all, now that all stations must replicate their NTSC (analog) stations 100%. Also, all Digitals must go full power in 2005 if they want any hope of protection in the future.

The sites you show at the PSIP link is great, as it is hard to find out anything on this and I program the PSIP generator for two stations (and right now ours are the minimum PSIP without a program guide).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)