Can't change avatar?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok I spent the last two hours going through the avatar system, and believe I have fixed the issue.

The issue is that avatars are stored and then are also saved with a query string after the file name. This query string changes every time someone uploads an avatar.

So looking at Foxbat's avatar... if you right click on it the name is 1181.jpg but if you look at the source code it is actually 1181.jpg?1424963899 the 142 number after the question mark is the query string. And again that string only changes when he changes his avatar. Now 1181 is his user number here on SatelliteGuys.

Well anyways as I mentioned we put new caching in place to speed up loading of SatelliteGuys a few weeks ago. The caching was working but working TOO good.

Well I just figured out what the problem is with the caching... it was stripping the query string. So when you were changing your avatars, it wasn't refreshing the cache because it though 1181.jpg was 1181.jpg as no matter what. So I had to fix the cache to treat the image with query string as its own cacheable item. So now 1181.jpg?1424963899 is different then 1181.jpg?2839304332.

This fix will allow us to use the new cache while keeping updated images such as avatars fresh when they change.

Sorry for the issue. I am not a programmer by any means but have sure learned a lot. :D

So, do we need to upload our avatars again if they aren't what we're expecting?

Fascinating explanation, Scott. Thanks for digging into the bowels of the new software to figure it out!

Edit: Nope, I guess not, I cleared my cache and now I see the Ford GT's rear view.

I just clicked on this thread and still saw the blurry front. Then a simple F5 refresh changed it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)