Can't do 24p

bowens

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 30, 2005
Florida
I just bought an Insignia NS-2BRDVD and have a Samsung 1080p tv. I know my tv can do 24p because I've done it on my 622. I set the BD player to 1080p and turned film mode on, which is what it said to do for 24p but I can't get it to display 24p. When I hit info on my tv it says 1920x1080 60hz. Any help?

What TV do you have? Not all displays that accept 24p will display it correctly. Most will 2:3 frame interpolation to get to 60hz.

S~

I think it's the HL-T5076 I'm not at home so I can't check it. When watching 1080p VOD on my 622 it shows 24p when I hit my info button on the tv.

I think it's the HL-T5076 I'm not at home so I can't check it. When watching 1080p VOD on my 622 it shows 24p when I hit my info button on the tv.

The 5076 is a DLP. Only one DLP correctly displays 1080p/24 at a correct refresh rate, NuVision @ 48hz. No TV displays 1080p/24 @ a refresh rate of only 24, otherwise there would be some serious flicker. Correctly displayed, it is refreshed at 48, 72, 96, or 120. The Samsung will accept 1080p/24 but will apply 2:3 frame interpolation to get to 60hz. Except for the Nuvision, that is the way all DLP's work and most LCDs and Plasmas. It should not matter, if done correctly, whether the player applies the 3:2 pulldown or the TV. Samsung has also been notorious for having handshake issues with certain devices because of improper EDID tables. Make sure that in the player video is selected as 1080p (not auto), and 24p is enabled. If they are, your set is actually displaying the signal as it was designed.

S~

I just tested a 1080p VOD on my 622 again and it shows 1920x1080 @ 24Hz. I don't know if it will make a difference or not but I'm just stumped as to why it shows 24Hz for the 622 and 60Hz on the Blu-Ray.

See above. Make sure that 24p is enabled in the setup menu of the player. If it is not able to be selected, then the Samsung is sending the player improper information during the initial handshake between the TV and the player. Many players will not force 24p because of the complications associated when the TV is unable to accept the signal, so they don't take chances.

As I said, it does not matter anyways whether the signal is 1080p/24 or 1080p/60 as the Samsung, and all DLPs except the Nuvision, will not display the signal in a proper incrament of 24. No DLPs apply true 3:3, 4:4, or 5:5 pulldown. All signals in these TV's are turned to 1080p/60 by applying 2:3 frame insertion and then some sets will double that to 120hz. I'm in the same situation with my Mits DLP, except that it sends proper EDID info during the handshake. According to Samsung engineering, 120hz is only used for 3D on the DLPs.

S~

S~

24p is enabled but if it won't make a difference then it won't matter. On to something else you said though, I've seen the 3D setting on my TV but I don't know what that is supposed to do. It's always been grayed out.

24p is enabled but if it won't make a difference then it won't matter. On to something else you said though, I've seen the 3D setting on my TV but I don't know what that is supposed to do. It's always been grayed out.

Eventually there is supposed to be some external equipment you can purchase and then it will convert stuff to 3D. We'll se how the future plays out on that one.

S~

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)