Can't Edit my Post after 15 Minutes???

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have to realize that the 1 hour timeframe was in place a long time ago
When we had some issues Scott turned off everything and started turning features back on. The edit post was one that slipped his mind

so we had people changing their posts all the time after folks had already responded to it

"if nobody is going to read them" then why is that a problem? This is a vbulletin setting, why can't it be something more reasonable like a day, or longer? What is the reason posts need to be etched in stone? Because a select few abused it somehow in some heated argument?

Again not seeing a follow up post an hour later... so you're saying that a majority of people who read the forum do so - every single forum - every single hour. 150k members, this post has 220 views right now, probably by a total of 15-20 members.

If it's not a big deal then why restrict it, if it is a big deal then why penalize 100% of users for something a few people abused when there are reasonable middle grounds to bad had (by increasing the restriction to 24 hours or more)?

Because it allows history to be changed. Sorry, just like speed limits have to be out on streets and stop signs and red lights.. Not because your a bad driver but because everyone else is of course..

The point is to keep the conversation flowing. If you go back and change somthing a day later, then the next person reading the thread gets a different story then was originally written and becomes lost.

Is making a new post really that hard?

Because it allows history to be changed. Sorry, just like speed limits have to be out on streets and stop signs and red lights.. Not because your a bad driver but because everyone else is of course..

The point is to keep the conversation flowing. If you go back and change something a day later, then the next person reading the thread gets a different story then was originally written and becomes lost.

Is making a new post really that hard?

Seems I made a mistake so I edited it. Thanks

(see how easy that was)

I see you've latched onto the history stuff and abandoned the 'everybody reads everything every hour' stuff.

We aren't writing legislation here, what is so precious about this 'history' that it must be preserved after 60 minutes vs 1440 ? People naturally reply to continue conversations, not edit their original post.

Is this really all just about winning arguments? Your double post above only makes people read it twice (if they care) to find the error, rather than sparing us and allowing us to read it only once, right, the first time. If this is some problem, then open it back up to a day or more, and enable the edit post history for administrators.

I've edited this post. See how easy that was. Now all the people who replied and have read it already will have to read it again, oh no. History, forever lost?

You have to realize that the 1 hour timeframe was in place a long time ago
When we had some issues Scott turned off everything and started turning features back on. The edit post was one that slipped his mind

so we had people changing their posts all the time after folks had already responded to it
i know what you mean and a certain someone comes to mind who does this a lot with bad intentions (not anyone in this thread). sounds fair then.:up

I see you've latched onto the history stuff and abandoned the 'everybody reads everything every hour' stuff.

We aren't writing legislation here, what is so precious about this 'history' that it must be preserved after 60 minutes vs 1440 ? People naturally reply to continue conversations, not edit their original post.

Is this really all just about winning arguments? Your double post above only makes people read it twice (if they care) to find the error, rather than sparing us and allowing us to read it only once, right, the first time. If this is some problem, then open it back up to a day or more, and enable the edit post history for administrators.

I've edited this post. See how easy that was. Now all the people who replied and have read it already will have to read it again, oh no. History, forever lost?

I never said nor implied people read everything every hour or whatever you are saying.

And to focus on your last statement, THATS THE POINT. Guess what? People who have ALREADY read your post and the thread are not going to go back and check for edits. They are just going to continue to read the new posts, so the people who are in the conversation will miss anything you edit. Only new people to the thread will read it.

I have no problem with what ever cut off time Scott has for editing a post, however at times my spelling and grammar can get atrocious.(multi tasking) I wish the time limit on the bottom of a post telling the whole world I edited it would be increased before it shows up... My fault though.

agree:

I have no problem with what ever cut off time Scott has for editing a post, however at times my spelling and grammar can get atrocious.(multi tasking) I wish the time limit on the bottom of a post telling the whole world I edited it would be increased before it shows up... My fault though.
I support the "after an hour you can't edit" rule.... or whatever it is.
After just reading the entire thread for the first time, I don't even know. - :rolleyes:

I get tripped up by the change from 10 minutes to 5 on the "if you edit, we will tell on you", feature.
SO, I just spend more time editing and revising before I make my post official at all!
It's a little annoying, but I'll live.
And in a few cases I've actually NOT posted when I thought I had.
That was due to too much Preview Post and not enough Submit Reply.

Mostly I correct typos, and bad grammar from moving sentences around.... or adding links to clarify.
The ongoing discussion (or argument) threads are not my territory, so couldn't care less how they are affected.

Status
Not open for further replies.