Can't find SEC alternate channels.

Jon J

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Nov 16, 2005
Music City, USA
Last time I looked the SEC had two Alt channels.
Now I see only 404. Will the Alts come back when the season starts?

Last time I looked the SEC had two Alt channels.
Now I see only 404. Will the Alts come back when the season starts?
The SEC Alt channels were removed last week. None of the other Alt channels, Big 10, Pac12, were affected so I have to assume that the SEC channel saw little to no need of the Alts and dropped them. Will they come back? I guess that depends upon SEC channel's (that's ESPN operated) choice.

Reactions: charlesrshell
The alternates won't be coming back. All the content that was originally on the SEC alternate channels is now through ESPN+. SEC alternate channels were mainly used for football games, and starting back in the 2021 football season (right after ESPN signed a new contract with the SEC), games were moved exclusively to ESPN+. I don't the exact number, but there are 12-14 games that are now only on ESPN+ from the new SEC/ESPN contract. There were occasional times that Finebaum's show got pushed to SEC Alternate channels when a scheduled live event was on, but now everything is pushed towards the ESPN app when there are conflicts like that.

The other reason I don't think they are coming back is the fact that the VIP series of receivers now have SEC Network on 404. Previously VIP receivers had SEC on 408 because they can't handle the channel numbers that had the subchannels like the newer receivers can. (like Big10 is on 410 and PAC12 is on 409 on VIP receivers, but the newer receivers have them on 405 and 406 respectively with all their alternate channels grouped together)

The alternates won't be coming back. All the content that was originally on the SEC alternate channels is now through ESPN+. SEC alternate channels were mainly used for football games, and starting back in the 2021 football season (right after ESPN signed a new contract with the SEC), games were moved exclusively to ESPN+. I don't the exact number, but there are 12-14 games that are now only on ESPN+ from the new SEC/ESPN contract. There were occasional times that Finebaum's show got pushed to SEC Alternate channels when a scheduled live event was on, but now everything is pushed towards the ESPN app when there are conflicts like that.

The other reason I don't think they are coming back is the fact that the VIP series of receivers now have SEC Network on 404. Previously VIP receivers had SEC on 408 because they can't handle the channel numbers that had the subchannels like the newer receivers can. (like Big10 is on 410 and PAC12 is on 409 on VIP receivers, but the newer receivers have them on 405 and 406 respectively with all their alternate channels grouped together)
What are VIP receivers? My H3 showed SEC subchannels just fine. I suppose ESPN+ is a pay streaming channel that won't be on DISH.

Reactions: charlesrshell