Can't get 119...

Emmy

Original poster
Sep 18, 2006
Hi all,

I'm having some issues calibrating my dish, and am almost tearing my hair out! I set up the dish to the correct co-ordinates, as specified by the receiver (after entering my ZIP code), and for some reason all I get is 110 locked. I've tried moving the dish around, changing azimuth, elevation and polarity, but nothing - I can get 110 to come up on either LNB (i.e. 119 or 110 LNB's), but 119 just never appears on either LNB. I've seen 110 with All, Odd, Even, and on either LNB, but I've never seen 119. I have a clear sky, no obstructions, and I live on the top floor so the dish should work perfectly... Other people in this complex have DISH (including the next door neighbor!), so I'm guessing it should work...

So, any ideas anyone...? I'd prefer not to call someone in just yet...

Thanks in advance for any insights!

S.

do not know what you are using for a meter but here is what I do. double check skew and elevation settings. snug down the bolts that hold the dish to the mast just enough so you can just turn it. point dish to the west and slowly turn it to the south. (if using a meter make sure you are connected to the 119 side of the LNB) when you get a signal, peak it and the run a switch test. if it shows 110 again back up the dish aaproximatley 10 degrees. works for me.

If you enter the information to the dish receiver, they should show you the skew number and you would turn the dish to correct position to enable to receive 110/119.

Hi guys,

I've set the Skew and Elevation to the ones specified by Dish Network. I also checked that the mast was plumb using a spirit level (vertically). I made sure the bolts were just loose enough to allow me to turn the dish, but tight enough to remain level (my dish and receiver are only about 6ft away from eachother so I don't have far to travel to run a check switch!).

How do you guys normally set azimuth? I have to keep making educated guesses as to my exact azimuth as I haven't got a scale around the mast to tell me how many degrees I'm going!

I'm using a standard inline satellite finder meter - and it seems peaked, but of course it doesn't tell me which satellite I'm hitting...

Thanks!

S.

Looking from the back of the dish, cover the right eye of the Twin Lnb (110) with aluminun foil (it's also labeled on the Y bracket). Find 119 and then remove the aluminun foil and run check switch. If you have the skew and elevation correctly then 110 will fall into place.

To find the azimuth, swing the dish slowly from left to right. When in the point dish screen on your TV, use 119 and TP 11.

This picture is from Dishstore.net (for ilustration purposes only):

Attachments

• dish500Y.jpg
    dish500Y.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 187
Last edited:
Okay, still no joy. Here's what I have...

Elevation is set using my dish stand - 46 deg.
Skew is set using my dish stand - 81 deg.
Azimuth is set using my compass - 152 deg.

My Satellite Finder says that a satellite is *definitely* there, but my dish box says no signal and Check Switch says nothing is there.

When I could find 110 it was closer to 180 deg Azimuth, which doesn't make sense if the calculator is correct (my ZIP is 95054). I still haven't seen 119 at all. I'm sure that both sides of my LNB work because I could find 110 on both.

Any other suggestions? Do I need to do a hard reset of my satellite receiver?

Thanks!

S.

Check which lnb is for 119. Disconnect, run switch test then run line without switch to reciever and try to find the one location first. Tighten down to the point where it is very hard to move the dish very far but not to the point that is cannot be moved at all. When you find that location at a very high signal, move wire to 110 and find tune that one. Check 119 again and fine tune if necessary, then 110 again. When both are at high level, add switch into the system and run switch test again.

Emmy said:
Okay, still no joy. Here's what I have...

I still haven't seen 119 at all. I'm sure that both sides of my LNB work because I could find 110 on both.

Any other suggestions? Do I need to do a hard reset of my satellite receiver?

Thanks!

S.

Take your LNB somewhere and verify the 119 side is truly working

fred

Do you have a switch in the mix? I don't see it mention in any of your posts. Remove the switch and go directly to the receiver. Also, are you using different cable to find 110 and 119?

You haven't mentioned if you have a clear view either. Any chance a tree is blocking 119? If standing behind the dish 119 comes from your right and 110 from your left.

Hi,

No switch other than the one built in to the LNB... I have clear views of virtually the entire south sky (from about 120deg to 240deg, no trees, and I'm on the top floor... The dish is on a tripod on my balcony as close the the edge as possible. There is a metal railing, but the dish looks well over it.

Thanks!

S.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)