cant get 921 to work with dvd burner

goaliebob99

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Aug 5, 2004
-.-. .... .. -.-. .- --. ---
hey i got a phillips dvdr 615 for christmas. hooked up the componate cables from the 921 to the input componate on the dvd burner. at times i get no signal.. i put the 921 to 480p and all i get is the screen split in half with a big black bar in the middle and mirror images on both sides of the black bar. the image is red btw. i have tryed switching componate cables to no avail. it works on standered ports. video w/ red and white audio connected. it would be nice if i can get this working so i can get the best pq posibble with the dvd burner. and i take it there is no way to hook up the usb port to the i link to burn faster or get better pq. it would be nice. thanks.

It has to be in SD also. I burn DVDs all the time and never have a problem. If you are still having problems PM me an I will try to help you troubleshoot, although my access to my computer will be limited this week

If by "SD" you mean 4:3 aspect ratio, that's my thought.

Seems to me that trying to stuff 16:9 into a device that can't handle it would do something like what Bob is seeing.

Bob: Check your manual for what types of signal (resolution & aspect ratio) are allowed on which ports.

sorry guys for not being on. been busy in dnsc land.. i will check my manual tonight.. allthough i think it can only do 480i.. but heres my thing when i switch from 480p to 480i on the hddvr it automaticaly switches from hd mode to sd mode wich inturn renders my componets on the 921 useless. i just wish there was a way around this to where the componates passed 480i.. that would solve my prob i think.

The component outputs of the 921 will only do 480P. The DVD Burner inputs are only 480I. There's your problem. I looked seriously at the 615 burner too, until I figured I wouldn't be able to use the component inputs. Until DISH gives the option of outputting 480I over component, SVHS will be your best bet.

DVD Burners

I have a Sony RDR GX300 and it has an option to out put in progressive or not to. When I select progressive I get 480p on both a 811 (non HD channels) and a 522. It will also record off of the HD channel, but outputs it 480p.

yea i didnt figure that one out untill it was too late.. it seems kind of studpid to put a product out that wont do 480 i on componate. hopefully dish will give us that option soon.. all i want to do is back up movies that i record so that way if the 921 goes south.. i will have a copy and i wont loose the movies. so i guess im stuck with av's for now.

Sony

I have mine cabled this way: S-video out to the Sony then Component video to my receiver and from there component video to the tv. Now I have to use the av for left and right audio but, the Sony will still let me output Digital formats with on board circuitry. Does you're recorder have a button for Progressive output?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)