Can't get HDMI audio w/ Toshiba HD-A2

UPEngineer

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 20, 2004
Chickasha, OK
Hello all,

Went to Wally world and picked up the Toshiba HD-A2 for $98 to replace my XBOX 360 HD-DVD Addon.

One of the reasons was to have TrueHD audio since the 360 can't do it.

My PS3 has spoiled me.

Anyways I have an Onkyo TX-SR605 HDMI switching receiver. PS3 works great.

But I can't get ANY audio output whatsoever with HD-A2 with the HDMI. I have changed every audio setting in the setup to no avail. I have tried 3 different HDMI cables. notta.

Even took the first unit back and got another one and still nothing. Tried it before and after the firmware update.

Either I have two bad units or my ONkyo will not support the HD-A2.

Has anybody had luck with this or think of anything else to try?

Last edited:
vurbano,

Yes it does. Or it appears it does!

Here is the mfg link for it:
Onkyo USA Home Theater Products

I can't get ANY audio from the player.

Don't know what else to try...

I have the Onkyo 605. Yes, it can decode TrueHD (plus DTS MA & DD+) - but ONLY from a High-def player that can send it the audio over HDMI 1.3 in compressed bitstream. Only the A35 HD DVD player can do that, and the Samsung 1400 & Panny 30 on the BD side.

But the A2 is perfectly capable of decoding DD, DTS, DD+ and TrueHD internally, and then send that out as PCM over HDMI to your Onkyo.

In the Setup Menu on the A2, in Audio, both the Optical & HDMI should be set to PCM (even if you're not using optical, to be on the safe side).

You say you have gone through all the settings on the A2. How about the Onkyo? Have you assigned the HDMI audio input (HDMI 1 or 2) to the correct Viewing source? (VCR/DVR, CBL/SAT, or Game/TV)

I had an XA1 audio & video playing perfectly through my 605, and now have an A35 doing so as well.

I have the Onkyo 605. Yes, it can decode TrueHD (plus DTS MA & DD+) - but ONLY from a High-def player that can send it the audio over HDMI 1.3 in compressed bitstream. Only the A35 HD DVD player can do that, and the Samsung 1400 & Panny 30 on the BD side.

But the A2 is perfectly capable of decoding DD, DTS, DD+ and TrueHD internally, and then send that out as PCM over HDMI to your Onkyo.

In the Setup Menu on the A2, in Audio, both the Optical & HDMI should be set to PCM (even if you're not using optical, to be on the safe side).

You say you have gone through all the settings on the A2. How about the Onkyo? Have you assigned the HDMI audio input (HDMI 1 or 2) to the correct Viewing source? (VCR/DVR, CBL/SAT, or Game/TV)

I had an XA1 audio & video playing perfectly through my 605, and now have an A35 doing so as well.

On the A2 I have both set to PCM.

On Onkyo 605 I have Game set to HDMI 1 for the PS3
I have DVD Set for HDMI 2

I will look again....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)