Can't get HR21 to connect to internet

Status
Please reply by conversation.

cmassa

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Dec 14, 2004
Chico, CA
I have my HR21 connected to my home network with a wired connection directly to my router (Dlink DI-624). The router sees the HR21 and the HR21 connects to my network but continues to fail when connecting to the internet. I have assigned an IP address to the HR21 in the router but no change. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Chris

Did it get an IP address when you had it set for auto (DHCP)? If it gets an IP the card is working fine. Has it failed the internet connection test several times (over time)? I've had mine fail before, but works most of the time. May have been on D*s end when you tried it?

Are you running the current national software or a CE test release? If the regular national it may not be turned on in the software yet. The ethernet port / internet is only used for VOD, which is still in testing on the HR21.

Check out our CE forums if you're interested in trying the software update to see if that is the problem. THey usually come out on Friday nights.

Yes, it did get an IP when set to auto. The HR21 reports that it is connected to my home network. It just won't connect to D* over the internet. Maybe it's just that the current national software has it disabled? It has failed the internet connection test many times on several different days.

I am having the same problems and I want to follow this thread to see what everyone has to say.. Cya Slick

Last edited:
No wireless? I won't bother until that is the case. Who wants to run wires - it isn't 1995?

My house is already wired for ethernet which is much easier to configure and set up. It makes much more sense and is cheaper to just plug the HR21 into the wall with an ethernet cable than trying to get a bridge or adapter working.

Nothing is enabled for the internet on the HR21 unless you are running the latest CE. Remote booking and VOD will be available in the next national release.

Nothing is enabled for the internet on the HR21 unless you are running the latest CE. Remote booking and VOD will be available in the next national release.

Any idea when the next national release should occur?

No wireless? I won't bother until that is the case. Who wants to run wires - it isn't 1995?

Wireless? Why would you want that PITA - it isn't 2001? HomePlug and MoCA are where home networking is heading. Hassle-free connections.

Maybe I'm remembering wrong, but I'm pretty sure that before my HR20 (non-CE) got the different options enabled, it would still tell me that I was successfully connected to my network, even though it didn't truly add any functionality at the time.

I haven't tried hooking up my HR21 yet to see if the same occurs.

Maybe I'm remembering wrong, but I'm pretty sure that before my HR20 (non-CE) got the different options enabled, it would still tell me that I was successfully connected to my network, even though it didn't truly add any functionality at the time.

I haven't tried hooking up my HR21 yet to see if the same occurs.

It successfully connects to my network, just doesn't connect to the internet.

The funny thing is I just googled it - the article was based in 2001! Maybe you should edit your post and change it from 2001 to 1999??

Enlighten me.

Both Dish and DirecTV are working on bringing HomePlug networking into their systems. Either embedding in the receivers (Dish is already doing this with their VIP622 and 722 boxes) or selling add on devices (DirecTV is doing this now, but will probably start shipping with embedded in the near future).

All the cable companies are working to bring MoCA networking into their set-top boxes now.

The funny thing is I just googled it - the article was based in 2001! Maybe you should edit your post and change it from 2001 to 1999??

You're right. We should all sacrifice speed, stability and ease of use to avoid having a network cable in our house. The learning curve for plugging in a network cable is so much harder than it is to configure WEP or WPA properly for someone that just plugged in a wireless router from the phone or cable company.

Wireless is great if it is the only option or if you are using a PC where you can see if there are problems. It is irritating and clunky to use in embedded devices.

OK, I solved my internet problem. I had the ethernet cable in the upper port and it didn't work. I had my wireless access point plugged into the lower port for a pass-through. When my laptop would not connect to my router I reversed the cables so that the wall/router connection is now in the lower port and the access point is plugged into the top port. Everything works now. It connects to the internet and media share works fine now. Go figure. The laptop is connecting to the internet normally again too.

Cmassa I just read your post and I did the same by changing the port and now mine works fine as well Go figure:rolleyes:..Cya Slick

OK, I solved my internet problem. I had the ethernet cable in the upper port and it didn't work. I had my wireless access point plugged into the lower port for a pass-through. When my laptop would not connect to my router I reversed the cables so that the wall/router connection is now in the lower port and the access point is plugged into the top port. Everything works now. It connects to the internet and media share works fine now. Go figure. The laptop is connecting to the internet normally again too.

Glad you solved it. The new features have been in the CE for a while now and the national release could be soon.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)