Can't hit shaw sat in tucson

Mazboy

Original poster
Apr 11, 2015
north america
i got shaw while in mexico, used my neighbors sat dish for connection this winter.

now in tucson with a 60 cm dish and can't hit the sats. i get a strong signal on the meter on cable (nothing on receiver however).

questions:
what sat should i try to hit first? 107 or 111?
skew: on the dish it shows skew can either be turned right or left, which way is the correct skew?

I use a compass, which do i use 'true' or 'magnetic'

where is a good site to find north america locations for traveling with shaw outside of canada?

what sat should i try to hit first? 107 or 111?
Set the elevation and skew first. Then, standing behind the dish sight along the arm to which the LNB is mounted and point that arm towards 111 (Anik F2, aka "Sat B"). When the dish is correctly pointed and elevation and skew are properly set, you should also be getting at least some amount of signal from Anik F1R ( aka "Sat A") without any further adjustment. Then maximize the signal by making small adjustments of direction and elevation. Don't make any further adjustments with the skew.

skew: on the dish it shows skew can either be turned right or left, which way is the correct skew?
For your location in Tucson, the skew is very close to 90 degrees!! In this unique case, the dish is rotated NEITHER clockwise nor counterclockwise

I use a compass, which do i use 'true' or 'magnetic'
Magnetic.

where is a good site to find north america locations for traveling with shaw outside of canada?
http://www.global-cm.net/CAN/SC/point/USAangskew.html
(See the far-right-hand column on this chart for settings for the Quad LNB)

Other Stuff
Make sure your mast is plumb before mounting the dish on it.

When setting the elevation, make sure you use the correct marker to align the setting: on most dishes it's a small metal flange painted white and NOT the center of the bolt. See the photo at this link:
http://www.kusat.com/Shaw-Direct/System-Installation/

The 60E is a bit small for that far south....you may experience some rain fade....if it ever rains. I get rain fade even with the 75E in Phoenix, but only in the heaviest of showers.

If you want to avoid using a compass to point your dish, you might find this site useful:
www.dishpointer.com
Note that this site shows skew values that assume zero to be equal to 90 on the Shaw Dish, so using their data you would skew the dish to 89.7, rotating clockwise when standing behind the dish. I think you could leave it at 90 and be close enough.

The fact that you're getting a signal on the meter but zero at the receiver usually indicates a bad connection downstream of the meter......broken cable, corrosion on the connectors, etc.

What type of LNBF was on the system in Mexico?
Old 4 output Quad LNBF
4 output XKu Quad LNBF
Something else?

The LNBF on your 60E antenna must be of the same general type as was on the antenna in Mexico. Since your receiver was working down there, find out what type of LNBF was used south of the border, and confirm the LNBF on yours is the same. If different, channel maps will not be synchronized and you could look all day long without getting a picture.

Reactions: catamount
i have the old quad lnbf, not the newer version. i gave up, can't get any signal on the receiver but the $10 meter shows numerous satellites out there. damn.

If you were on a weak channel or your rec is setup for the new triple lnb you would never find it on a 60cm dish.

use channel 350 or 700 both very strong and come in on either lnb. Good Luck

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)