Here is a GUIDE TO SETUP SHAW DIRECT IN USA/MEXICO

xdor

Original poster
Dec 7, 2013
USA
GUIDE TO SETUP SHAW DIRECT SOUTH OF CANADA:

1. If you are in south USA, or in Mexico, you will need 2 different offset antennas, one for
F1 satellite (107 degrees west), and one for F2 satellite (111 degrees west).
The size of the dishes will go from 76cm (south USA) to 1.2m (south Mexico).
2. Shaw Direct offers 2 different LNB configuations: Quad LNBFs or xKu LNBFs.
In order to use the system with 2 antennas, you will need Quad LNBFs. Those
LNBs need to be "Standard LNB", not universal, and need to be linear, not circular.
Their output frequency has to be 950-1450 MHz.
An example is the Orbital tracker [http://www.satpro.tv/orbital-single-std-lnb.aspx], under $10 dollars
3. A switch is needed to mix the signal from the 2 dishes into one. The switch should
have two inputs and one output. The switch should be "0/22KHz controlled switch".
Two switch models for for less than $10 dollars are [http://www.satpro.tv/22hz-controlled-switch.aspx]
and [http://www.satelliteav.com/p/shop/?ws_pid=1371&ws_cat=429].
4. There are many kinds of receivers. A good digital receiver such as the 505
can be purchased in ebay for under $100, including the remote control.
5. Obtain the elevation and azimuth angles for your location, plus the LNB skew needed.
A good and easy way to do it is using www.satpointer.com, which will give you a map
of where to point the dish from your location, plus all the angles.
[Note that the skew angle given at satpointer.com might be the opposite].
In [http://www.satelliteguys.us/thelist/calc.html], the skew is correct. The way
to do it is: If it tells you to rotate it 30 degrees, that means 30 degrees counter-
clockwise, when facing the dish (not from behind). In this example, if the coaxial
cable connector is to the bottom, then 30 degrees would mean pointing the connector
to "5" in a clock.
6. Perform a FACTORY RESET in your receiver. Go to Options, 6,4 and then access the
hidden menu, 9-8-8. Then option 6 for factory reset. This is necessary if your receiver
had previously been configured for the xKu LNBF kind (used only with new ShawDirect
oval dishes).
7. Setup one of the dishes with an LNB, with the approximate skew on it. Connect
the LNB to the satellite input of the receiver, directly, without the switch. Try to
be able to see the TV screen from where the dish is.
8. Tune the receiver to channel 299. Go to the "tune-in satellite signals" menu,
using options-6-4-3-1. Enter "4128" as a provider ID.
9. Signal should be around 19 if cable is well connected. Aim the dish to the
107 degree satellite. Start pointing the dish
moving elevation and azimuth little by little until the signal goes up, and the
bar gets green. Depending on your location, cloudiness, etc., you should get a signal
from 50 to 80, with green bar.
10. (If you haven't done so), call Shaw Direct, 1-888-554-7827, and activate
your receiver. You will need to provide the Serial Number in the side of the receiver.
Also, you need to provide a Canadian address and telephone number. You need to say
you are in Canada.
11. Wait to get signal. You should be able to see many of the channels already. Wait
half an hour.
12. Unplug the cable from the receiver. Connect the second dish LNB directly to
the receiver, and point the second dish TO THE SAME SATELLITE that you pointed the
first dish. Make sure you get signal, and that you are able to see the same channels.
13. Tune the receiver to a channel that only comes from the second satellite, such
as 801. You should not be able to watch the channel. Now go to the tune-in satellite
signal menu again, and start aiming the dish to the second satellite (111 deg. west).
Note that when pointing to the first satellite, you should get "some signal", like
38 (in my case). Since you already know where is the first satellite, changing
the asimuth and elevation of the dish to the second satellite should be very easy.
You should be able to get good signal (i.e. 70) soon.
14. At this point, you will not get any channel. Now, connect both LNBs to the switch.
The signal from the 107 satellite should go to 0KHz, whereas the signal from the
111 degree satellite should go to the 22KHz input (it won't work the other way around).
The output goes to the receiver.
15. You should be able to see all the channels to which you are subscribed.
[You can go back to the satellite pointing menu to improve signal adjusting skew]

Special thanks to the SatelliteGuys, especially to DJdish.

(I'm doing it right after finished going through the process, before I forget a step)
Feel free to comment/modify the instructions as needed.

xdor

thank you very much for share that value installation info!!
I have one question: what in case of install 2 or more receivers with that wiring configuration??

If you have 2 600 receivers, you´ll need 2 input lines, i.e.1 for each receiver.
So you could use LNBs with dual output, bring 107w and 111w together with a 22 khz, and you have the input line for the first receiver,
Do the same using the second output from the lnbs, and you´ll have another combined signal for both sats for the second receiver.

However, if you can find a 2x2 22khz switch then you could use single output lnbs, and with that switch pull out the 2 lines for the 2 600 receivers.

If you need 3 receivers or more, you will need to buy a multiswitch instead. Something like a 4x4 Zinwell that works for Directv. Pica Macom makes switches also.

Okay Guys... now i have a little more clear about that... i decided to draw a kind of diagram..i was wondering if you can look at it to see if the set up connection is okay...

Attachments

• shaw connect 1.jpg
    shaw connect 1.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 1,602
Reactions: DJdish
Okay Guys... now i have a little more clear about that... i decided to draw a kind of diagram..i was wondering if you can look at it to see if the set up connection is okay...

That looks good, the red line coming out of the lnb will be for Anik F1 @ 107w.
As for the 22khz switch I use an Ecoda, but I´ve also used a DMS International SW 21K (also a 22khz switch) with good results.

That looks good, the red line coming out of the lnb will be for Anik F1 @ 107w.
As for the 22khz switch I use an Ecoda, but I´ve also used a DMS International SW 21K (also a 22khz switch) with good results.
One question... it doesn't matter wich lnb output goes to 0 Hz or 22 KHz switch port?? I guess i need to consider a wiring sequence. the lnb outputs doesn't show a label of port 1 or port 2, So, i figured out the installation switches and the lnb's need to be connected in the same way to avoid system failures..is that correct?? i was reconsidered the installation diagram like this: F1 lnb output A goes to 0 Hz switch port (sw 1) and the other output of that lnb (B) goes to 0 Hz switch port (sw 2), F2 lnb output A goes to 22 KHz switch port (sw 1) and the other lnb output (B) goes to 22 KHz switch port (sw 2)

Attachments

• shaw connect option 2.jpg
    shaw connect option 2.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 1,159
Sorry I´m multi-tasking here and maybe I didn´t pay attention.

Ok, you will have 2 lnbs one pointed to each sat, you will have 2 swtiches, 2 receivers,
The lines coming out of Anik F1 @107w will have to go on the 0khz side of each switch, thus the Anik F2 @111w signals coming out of the LNB will go on the 22khz side of the switches, it won´t work the other way around.

Hello everyone! I am just reading along the forum in search of a "cost effective" solution to my dilemma. I have a GeoSat Pro 90cm reflector with 2 GEOSATpro SL2 Bullet LNBF two output Ku-band LNBF and a GEOSATpro 4 degree dual LNBF rotating bracket. I am trying to make it work where I am able to receive both satellite signals using with what I have. I read in this forum that I need two separate offset reflector in order to get both satellite signals. Is this correct? If both anik f1 and anik f2 are less than 4 degrees apart, theoretically, the 4 degree bracket should work right? If not would installing a different clamp, ie. multi-lnb bracket / clamp up to 20 degrees, make it work?

I think that should work for you. If I remember, the bullet lnbf's were slim and
I think that should work for you. If I remember, the bullet lnbf's were slim and designed for close spacing
For some reason I can't seem to get anik f2 or vice versa. If I align it to anik f2 then I lose anik f1. I'm not sure if there's a simple or easier way of doing this. I borrowed a meter, FastAlign 5110PRO, from an installer and I can't get a lock on anik f2. What I don't understand is that this dish is big enough or bigger than the elliptical Shawdirect 75e and the bullet lnbf with the 4 degree bracket are close enough together that you would think if you were to align it to one of the satellite that you would get the other satellite signal too.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 11)

Latest posts