Can't I make something work with all this stuff?

klen

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Jan 13, 2004
I am a former e* customer (7 years) who dropped them about 6 months ago for v*.

I currently OWN the following equipment:

-1 Dish 4700 receiver
- 1 "regular" E* dish (w/lnb)
- 1 DISH 500 (w/2 lnb)
- 3 VOOM receivers - (only one is activated right now- works for OTA)
- 1 regular VOOM dish
- 1 Large VOOM dish
- 1 V* "Stealth" antenna (from Voom)
- 1 Channelmaster "yagi" style antenna (from Voom)
- 1 "Primestar" connection box on the side of my house. (useless, I know)
- 1 full box of antenna amps, connectors, wire cutters, and crimpers
- enough RG-6 to choke a horse.

So, here I sit with all of this crap, and the only thing I can get right now is OTA. Is my only option to put up the Dish 500, buy an 811 or 942 and suck it up with no free programming, etc..? Can the V* dish be used as is, or at all, or do I need to put the old E* dish in its place, pointed at 61.5?

-k

-k

I assume all your lnbs/switches are legacy, so yes the voom dish switched with the dish 500 will work.

If you want only the HD from dish than yes you'll need to buy either an 811 or a 942.

All you'd really need is a legacy quad and a Dish 811 or 942.

Put up the Dish500.
Replace the two lnbs and sw21s with a legacy quad.
Put one of the legacy dual lnbs on the regular E* dish aimed at 61.5
Run one of the outputs from the legacy quad to one sw21 and a second cable from the 61.5 dual lnb. Do the same with the other sw21, if you will be using a 942.
Run another cable from the the quad to the 4700. You still have one more output for another single Dish Network receiver from the legacy quad.

If you are using an 811, you'd only need a legacy twin to run both it and the 4700.

Just went through the same thing.

Heres the wiring diagram from the E* site:Three sat two receiver legacy setup

I used the existing Voom dish and LNB in place of the Dish 300 in the diagram, combined with the Dish 500 using two of the really old dual LNB's on the Y-adaptor. So far so good with a 4700 although the 811 is not here yet to confirm HD, but others have reported it works.

It took two transfers upstream, but Dish agreed to upgrade one of my two 4700's for an 811 for $50 less $25 when I return the 4700. I'm keeping the other 4700 for now and probably upgrade later when the mpeg 4 units become available.

Bob H.

You can't cascade two dual legacy lnb's with a Dish500 with an sw21. You must use either a legacy twin or a quad. The discontinued sw42 will work, or you can use the non-Dish Network made sw21x made by Microyal. The sw21x is basically half of an sw42.

Mike500 said:
You can't cascade two dual legacy lnb's with a Dish500 with an sw21. You must use either a legacy twin or a quad. The discontinued sw42 will work, or you can use the non-Dish Network made sw21x made by Microyal. The sw21x is basically half of an sw42.
Sorry, My bad! I was interrupted in the middle and rushed the post. I am using the two of the legacy duals, but inadvertently omitted the fact that I'm using the SW64, which works with that arrangement. Planning ahead for another box.
Hope I didn't send anybody down the wrong path.

Bob H.