Can't lock 118.8

Status
Please reply by conversation.

southofi-10

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 17, 2010
South Louisiana
I was trying to set up a dish for 118.8 using a dishnetwork receiver.The stb has 118 listed but I can't get no lock.I can get 119 with no problems at all-so,what could be the problem with the 118 location.
I'm using a dishnet lnb and 24" winegard dish

The typical Dish net lnb receives 12.2-12.8 ghz circular polarized.
118.8 uses the usual 11.7-12.2, however it is also circular polarized. The only sat in N.A. that does this. For best reception you need a "118/119" circular lnb. These can be bought at Hypermegasat or on E-bay approx $28. It can also be used for any of the other circular sats as it will cover from 11.7-12.8. I have one mounted on an old DTV Slimline and a SG-2100 motor just for this kind of stuff. Works great.
Some of the guys have managed to get 118.8 with a linear lnb catching some bleed over from the circular polarity. There is also a trick to shove a piece of plastic down a lnb to approximate the circular lnb technology.

I'm using a regular dishnetwork lnb.
If I was getting 119,how can not getting 118 be a setup problem?I was uing a dishnet stb to aim the dish.
I think Pixl is right.I need a dif lnb.I'm guessing dishnetwork makes a lnb for this location,but I'll get it somewhere else.
I remember they used a fss lnb for 105 when they used that location

A regular "circular" dish network lnb won't be able to get 118w as it's not designed to get the 11.7-12.2ghz circular frequency that the sat uses.Dish network has an two lnbs designed for this called the 118/119 dishpro and 118/119 dish pro plus.

If I was getting 119,how can not getting 118 be a setup problem?

Well when I mean "setup" I mean putting the switch in the the right place and making the correct adjustments in the menus. Years ago it was tricky for me the first time on 118 with an fta box. But since you are using the regular LNB, then that is the reason you ony receive the higher freq tps of 119 and not 118.

If I was getting 119,how can not getting 118 be a setup problem?I was uing a dishnet stb to aim the dish.
I think Pixl is right.I need a dif lnb.I'm guessing dishnetwork makes a lnb for this location,but I'll get it somewhere else.
I remember they used a fss lnb for 105 when they used that location

the only LNB that will work with a Dish receiver for 118 is the Dish approved LNB that gets 118.7/119
All the 3rd party ones will not work

It is a SPECIAL LNB
Regular DBS LNB's wont work
Superdish LNB's wont work

southofi-10,

If you could get a hold of a LNB that is in the 12.2~12.7 Ghz range such as a "Directv PARA TODOS" you could make this work with no problem.

The procedure is to open/remolve the the cap/cover, take a piece of plastic about the thickness of a credit card, or an old old debit card.
As you look into the throath of the LNB cut the piece of plastic to fit into the throath oproximately 1/2" from the the bottom of the cavity and flush with the top of the LNB.

Here is the most important part... place and clock the the piece of plastic at an angle to be between 7 and 8 o'clock on the bottom, and the top will fall between 1 and 2 o'clock.

Glue the two top ends of the plastic card to the throath as clocked with whatever you desire, let it set and dry, replace the cap/cover, point the dish and modified LNB toward the 118.7 satellite, enjoy.

avenger.

Last edited:
maybe if you told us what exactly are you trying to do maybe we could help better

Are you trying to sub to something on Dish that is on 118.7?
Are you trying to set up something that if there was anything possibly FTA on 118.7 you want to try and see them?

Something I wanted to see.
I got a lock on with this lnb.I bought a few cheapos on ebay.They were circular within the 10.70-12.75 Ghz range.
Worked well,just couldn't get what I was after.

Something I wanted to see.
I got a lock on with this lnb.I bought a few cheapos on ebay.They were circular within the 10.70-12.75 Ghz range.
Worked well,just couldn't get what I was after.

I believe that if you make that particular mod as explained earlier, you will be in like Flint watching the 118.7W satellite. All you can do is try it, you will not ruin the LNB and there is nothing to loose but a few minutes of your time.

By the way what is there and so desireable about the 118.7W satellite now a days. At one time there was something in there that everyone wanted to see, but I have not searched and scanned that satellite for over three years.

avenger.

to add to what the others have said, a 24 inch dish is slightly small for 118w, if i remember correctly i think a minimum 30 inch dish is recommended

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)