can't move PTAT shows to external?

Chimera

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Aug 13, 2008
My original Hopper (installed in the first week it was available to customers) is dying - keeps stuttering/freezing, originally started with just the Joeys then the main receiver too. Dish is replacing it (arriving today) and I've been trying to get everything moved off to an external drive but programs that were recorded with PTAT within the last 8 days cannot be moved (they don't even show up in the transferable list). I have tried deleting the shows from PTAT (they are saved in my DVR location) and also completely disabling PTAT, but the shows remain. Any ideas? Also what might I be getting as a replacement, original Hopper or HWS? I have a USB sling adapter right now but a HWS might be nice :)

You need to go into Prime Time settings and set the number of days til expiration to 2, and save.

You will get what you have...the original Hopper.

Reactions: ChadT41
My original Hopper (installed in the first week it was available to customers) is dying - keeps stuttering/freezing, originally started with just the Joeys then the main receiver too. Dish is replacing it (arriving today) and I've been trying to get everything moved off to an external drive but programs that were recorded with PTAT within the last 8 days cannot be moved (they don't even show up in the transferable list). I have tried deleting the shows from PTAT (they are saved in my DVR location) and also completely disabling PTAT, but the shows remain. Any ideas? Also what might I be getting as a replacement, original Hopper or HWS? I have a USB sling adapter right now but a HWS might be nice :)
You can make a copy of any show in the PTAT folder by selecting a show and then save or save series. The copy will go to the no folder menu if you have it set up for your folder options. Then you can transfer the copies to the external hard drive or your I pad, like I do every day and then take them to work with me to watch.

You can make a copy of any show in the PTAT folder by selecting a show and then save or save series. The copy will go to the no folder menu if you have it set up for your folder options. Then you can transfer the copies to the external hard drive or your I pad, like I do every day and then take them to work with me to watch.
Yes and no. As KAB mentioned, they cannot be transffered until after the PTAT expiration date has passed.

Save your PTAT event and it will go into your menu. Then turn off PTAT. Now try to move that event into your EHD.... After you do the transfer you can turn PTAT back on.

Reactions: ChadT41
Yes and no. As KAB mentioned, they cannot be transffered until after the PTAT expiration date has passed.
Well I can transfer them the copies to my I pad and I do it every day . But I haven't really tried to transfer them to my external hard drive because I watch the copies daily on my I pad.

Save your PTAT event and it will go into your menu. Then turn off PTAT. Now try to move that event into your EHD.... After you do the transfer you can turn PTAT back on.
No. Turning PTAT off does not affect expiration/time of programs already recorded. They sit tight for the allotted time, 2-8 days regardless.

So, instead if you set the expiration time from 8 days to 2 days, any PTAT events recorded before the change in expiration will still wait the 8 days?

Well I can transfer them the copies to my I pad and I do it every day . But I haven't really tried to transfer them to my external hard drive because I watch the copies daily on my I pad.
Try it, tell us if it works EHD... I am not sure about the transfer. I haven't transferred in quite some time to a mobile.

Try it, tell us if it works EHD... I am not sure about the transfer. I haven't transferred in quite some time to a mobile.
I just tried it and sure enough you can't do transfers to your external hard drive for any ptat events recorded from your main four networks. Now I did make recordings from my ota ABC station from Beaumont and they show up with full auto hop features the next day. I can't transfer the Houston PTAT copies because of the 60 day rule ABC has setup for its national ABC stations. You can only have one copy at a time, period and you have 60 days to use it or it will delete itself. If I even transfer them to my I-pad I end up with copies on the Hopper that no longer work. That is why I set up timers for ABC shows on my Ota ABC ,so I could have a copy to watch on my I pad and my wife cans till watch them on the Hopper on the Houston PTAT ABC station. I just transfered the ota ABC copy of Grey's Anatomy and it went to my external hard drive. So it works for Ota local networks ,but not PTAT locals.

I can't transfer the Houston PTAT copies because of the 60 day rule ABC has setup for its national ABC stations. You can only have one copy at a time, period and you have 60 days to use it or it will delete itself.

I have never heard of any such thing. The only restriction ABC has for O&O stations I know of, is a three day delay on Autohop.

Every show on ABC in the Ptat folder from channel 13 KTRK in Houston using the DISH anywhere app, has the message on it : Transferring this show will remove it from your hard drive and them the transferred show then will show a message on the show tile :that you have 60 days to view it and then it will no longer work. When I transfer it to my I pad , it counts down the days with a digital big 60 ,then 59 the next day and so on. If I delete the copy of an ABC show from channel 13 or transfer it to my I pad, it affects the PTAT copy and it no longer will play. Only one copy is allowed because this channel is owned by ABC directly. This evidently was negotiated with DISH when ABC was suing them for the PTAT auto hop feature. The auto hop feature doesn't work for like 3 days on any of their shows. The ABC ota channel KBMT 12.1 from Beaumont, isn't a network owned station and I can make copies and the auto hop feature works the very next day. So to prevent any problems with my wife watching the ABC shows in the PTAT folder, I just make timers of those shows I like on the ota ABC from Beaumont and I never see the message pop up and there are no problems with her shows.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)