Can't Pause and Resume a Program Being Recorded on Hopper 3

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

cjdish

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Aug 14, 2017
Asheville, NC
I have the new Hopper 3. I can PAUSE and RESUME fine on a program that has finished recording. However, on a program that is being recorded, I can go to the "start" of the program, but I can't pause it at a certain point; continue to record the program;' and go back to the same point in the future where I "paused". I discussed with Dish Tech Support and they verified that I couldn't do this. Anyone have any ideas??

Reactions: charlesrshell
I have the new Hopper 3. I can PAUSE and RESUME fine on a program that has finished recording. However, on a program that is being recorded, I can go to the "start" of the program, but I can't pause it at a certain point; continue to record the program;' and go back to the same point in the future where I "paused". I discussed with Dish Tech Support and they verified that I couldn't do this. Anyone have any ideas??
DISH is the only DVRs that has that resume issue and they won't fix it for some reason. Been that way forever.

Reactions: MikeD-C05
DISH is the only DVRs that has that resume issue and they won't fix it for some reason. Been that way forever.
I previously had the Hopper 2 with Sling..... and I was able to do all I wanted with programs while they were being recorded... ie... Pause: Resume; etc. The Hopper 3 is definitely different than the Hopper 2 in that respect.

Can't speak to the Hopper 2 specifically but none of DISH receivers have been able to return to a recording where you left off if it is in progress recording. Someone *I Think* had a work around where you right clicked the program that is recording instead of picking it but don't remember 100% about it.. or if it still works.

It has not been that way forever. They fixed it at one point, and then they broke it again some time later. The last time I had Dish, with the original Hopper, it worked.

I almost think they fixed it by accident and then broke it again when they were fixing something else. They might not even know they ever fixed it.

I almost think they fixed it by accident and then broke it again when they were fixing something else. They might not even know they ever fixed it.
LOL, yep, could be. I don't know why they won't fix it. Number one complaint I have had for DISH DVRs. Sure is a pain for us mostly when we watch car racing shows. I have learned to remember what lap the race was on before I pause the recording so I know how far to fast forward when I go back to watch it.

LOL, yep, could be. I don't know why they won't fix it. Number one complaint I have had for DISH DVRs. Sure is a pain for us mostly when we watch car racing shows. I have learned to remember what lap the race was on before I pause the recording so I know how far to fast forward when I go back to watch it.
This is my major annoyance with the H3. My HWS was fine as I watched the morning news from room to room and resumed a pause point from another room. It never not worked with the HWS, but clearly some folks have had different experiences.

So I just created an account to be able to reply to you. Forgive me for not linking to the original thread I found on here a few weeks ago, BUT the short version is press the PLAY button when selecting the recording program from your list and it will resume where you paused. Logically, using the SELECT button unfortunately only gives the front the start or live options.

This was one of the biggest headaches I had with the Dish DVR since I got it last Fall. I found the answer via a search on this site and was very pleased after I did.

As background I have used MANY different DVRs over the last few decades and couldn't believe it wasn't a feature on the Hopper 3. Turns out it CAN be done and in time for Football season.

While I am typing my novel I will add the other feature I really missed until this Forum provided me the answer with a search, which was Frame Advance. Pause, then the Skip button is FA.

Regarding the Hopper 3 in general, I do love the large number of tuners and no more conflicts as well as the large hard drive and no more weekly to daily cleanups needed.

Automatic Prime Time Recordings are also a nice feature to me. All in all not a bad product once I learned the two key commands.

Can't speak to the Hopper 2 specifically but none of DISH receivers have been able to return to a recording where you left off if it is in progress recording. Someone *I Think* had a work around where you right clicked the program that is recording instead of picking it but don't remember 100% about it.. or if it still works.

THIS

So I just created an account to be able to reply to you. Forgive me for not linking to the original thread I found on here a few weeks ago, BUT the short version is press the PLAY button when selecting the recording program from your list and it will resume where you paused. Logically, using the SELECT button unfortunately only gives the front the start or live options.

This was one of the biggest headaches I had with the Dish DVR since I got it last Fall. I found the answer via a search on this site and was very pleased after I did.

As background I have used MANY different DVRs over the last few decades and couldn't believe it wasn't a feature on the Hopper 3. Turns out it CAN be done and in time for Football season.

While I am typing my novel I will add the other feature I really missed until this Forum provided me the answer with a search, which was Frame Advance. Pause, then the Skip button is FA.

Regarding the Hopper 3 in general, I do love the large number of tuners and no more conflicts as well as the large hard drive and no more weekly to daily cleanups needed.

Automatic Prime Time Recordings are also a nice feature to me. All in all not a bad product once I learned the two key commands.

Welcome aboard. This is a good discovery. I am running a test now.

The major problem we are having with the new interface is that Dish dumped it on us without any guidance - here it is good luck.

They should have published a comprehensive guide to all the nuances and tricks built into their new system instead of frustrating the hand that feeds them.

I just ran a test and it did not work by pressing the play button. For the test I did a pause while the program was still recording and then started watching another recording. After the test recording was complete I selected the recording and pressed the play button. The recording started at the beginning, not where I had previously paused it. Asheville Hoo, can you post the exact procedure you did? Maybe I did not do it correctly. Thanks

From any Hopper, not the Joeys, Pause then PIP Swap ( Input button on the side of the 51 remote), tune the channel you want. When you Swap back the recording will resume playing where you paused. Likely must be within the 1 hour buffer. I've never tried it that far out, nor have I tried it to watch another recording.

From any Hopper, not the Joeys, Pause then PIP Swap. When you Swap back the recording will resume playing where you paused. Likely must be within the 1 hour buffer. I've never tried it that far out.
Let us know when you try it far out. I may not get back to the recording till the next day and would like to see a resume button, not have to start over. How would I use the PIP swap back method the next day? I will try this PIP method out sometime. Thanks patmurphey.

I just ran a test and it did not work by pressing the play button. For the test I did a pause while the program was still recording and then started watching another recording. After the test recording was complete I selected the recording and pressed the play button. The recording started at the beginning, not where I had previously paused it. Asheville Hoo, can you post the exact procedure you did? Maybe I did not do it correctly. Thanks
I think Asheville Hoo might have done that procedure while the original program was still recording (not after the recording had completed like you did).

I think Asheville Hoo might have done that procedure while the original program was still recording (not after the recording had completed like you did).
I bet so too. There is no problem while still recording. It is when it has completed recording is when it doesn't work.

The major problem we are having with the new interface is that Dish dumped it on us without any guidance - here it is good luck.

They should have published a comprehensive guide to all the nuances and tricks built into their new system instead of frustrating the hand that feeds them.

That is so last century: actually expecting software to come with some kind of training or manual. I mean, who does that anymore? ;)