Can't see 110, 119 & 129 from one location - will this work?

BarryO

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 11, 2003
Hi all,

We've had a Dish installation at our vacation house for years, with a Dish 500 pointed at 110 & 119, no problem. We finally upgraded our old TV to a nice HDTV set, so added HD channels. I've done a site survey there, and there's no location from which you can see all three birds. So my plan was to keep the 500 aimed at 110 & 119, and add a second dish for 129. The 129 dish would use a DP Sngle, feeding into the input on the DPP Twin on the 500. Any reason why this wouldn't work?

Nope. Only reason (other than a bad installation) it wouldn't work would be if you still had no LOS to 129.

Since you're Western, do it. I've run this very same setup for years. Showing my age here, the extra "wing" dish for 129 used to be the standard setup in the Pacific Northwest back when 129 was on a weak, wobbly bird and hard to get. As a bonus, aiming the dish is easier when it's only pointing at one satellite.

You're not that old. ;) The second dish I plan to use is one I used at the main house to receive 61.5 back when all the HD channels were on it. Being in the PNW as well, it was a challenge to find LOS, what with a 10.9 degree elevation. It's a big elliptical sucker, too. At the main house I just ran a separate cable from each LNBF to a DP34 switch.

I have installed an Eastern Arc Dish in Los Angeles. I pick up 72.7 and 61.5 with a decent 25-28% signal. All channels come in just fine. If I align for 77, the signal overall drops to 17-19 which is still watachable but there aren't any channels on 77 that I would like.

I have installed an Eastern Arc Dish in Los Angeles. I pick up 72.7 and 61.5 with a decent 25-28% signal. that I would like.
Even in LA, a 25-28% signal is low. It should be in the 40's or better. That level will go out with heavy clouds or rain. Try aligning again, slight changes should bring it up. As usual start with a vertical post. Align on 72 and adjust slightly skew, etc., to improve 61.5. 77W should come it but as you say you don't need it. Use Menu+6+1+3 to get a quick list of TPs that Dish tries.
-Ken

I used to use 105,110 and 119 and could not even see two sats from one site. I had one dish on each from different locations in the yard for many years feedin a 34 switch in the garage. Since I went to Eastern arc, a few months ago, I no longer use that system. It was more reliable than the EA, that's for sure. two dishes were on the roof, in very different areas and one on a huge tree and I never lost the signal on that one, I did one the roof during snow. Ther tree mount I simply re-adjusted each summer as the trunk would grow around the foot and move it slightly, but not enough to loose the signal. I would not try it on a normal tree where the trunk moved a few feet from the ground in a strong wind. Mine was 6ft up with no movement in the wind.

Bottom line - Yes, providing you have signal, it will work.

Even in LA, a 25-28% signal is low. It should be in the 40's or better. That level will go out with heavy clouds or rain. Try aligning again, slight changes should bring it up. As usual start with a vertical post. Align on 72 and adjust slightly skew, etc., to improve 61.5. 77W should come it but as you say you don't need it. Use Menu+6+1+3 to get a quick list of TPs that Dish tries.
-Ken

That's Interesting to know. the installer tried for 2 hours to get the signal to a decent level with super buddy. I have purchased the super buddy and when that comes in I'll try to get the level up.
PS. The super buddy purchased from ebay looks like a fraud. I might have lost my money to the purchase. The person didn't have any positives and I still went with it. I can't believe myself.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)