CAN't see the channels inside my home

Status
Please reply by conversation.

taj

Original poster
Nov 12, 2008
Hi,

I am installing an FTA system in my home. I am able to pickup the Galaxy 19 satellite signal in the yard because when I connect the satellite cable output to the receiver and then connect that to a small TV outside of my home, I can see all the channels.

But I really want to see the channels inside my home. FYI, I do not have cable service. I have a box on the outside wall of my home that directs all coaxial cables to different rooms. I know which one leads to the living room and have double checked this. HOWEVER, when I plug the satellite signal into this particular cable that goes to my living room and then connect the receiver to the inside TV, I cannot view any of the channels. It is as if no signal is coming through. Do you know what the problem is?:confused: Could there be a conflict with the cable used inside my home that causes the satellite signal not to pass through to the receiver? I connect the satellite output to a cable that has the following written on it:

RG6/U18AWG TYPE CL2 75C (UL) E 100 316 DRCATV

and this cable goes inside of the house. Also, I connect the satellite feed to a connector that has PCT-DRS/6Q and the RG6/U18.... cable I wrote above connects to its other side.

I have also tried connecting to the other rooms of my house with no success:(. I have also tried a satellite cable booster (amplifier) but still no signal inside the home.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks a lot,
Taj

There has to be a splitter on that cable inside the wall somewhere that's keeping the sat signal from passing. Satellite frequencies are much higher than cable or broadcast TV, so the splitter passed those frequencies when cable was connected, but it attentuates the sat signal. We ran into the same thing at my brother's house, when we ran his Dish Network to 4 rooms.

>>box on the outside wall of my home that directs all coaxial cables to different rooms<< The cable from the dish/LNB to the receiver LNB input has to be a single run of cable. So at that box outside, use a splice connector to connect receiver to LNB, bypassing that splitter. See if that works.

Thank you for your responses.

Dear eurosport84: Is locating the splitter inside the wall easy to do? Was it easy for you to locate the splitter inside the wall in your brother's house? If I can't locate the splitter inside the wall, I guess my best choice is to run a separate cable from the satellite dish/LNB output to my living room. Correct?

Dear FaTair: I am using a splice connector to connect the LNB feed from the dish to the coaxial cable that goes to my living room. There are no splitters in the way that I can see, unless an eurosport84 suggests they're inside the wall and I can't see them.

Thanks again,
taj

In my brother's case, the splitter was right behind the box where the wallplate is. There was a TV outlet in 2 bedrooms, on either side of the wall, in the same spot. I'm thinking if there's a splitter on yours, I'll bet you'll find it behind one of those wallplates that have the coax jack on them. :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)