Can't sell 942 b/c dish won't offer hd programming to new customer?

kspeters

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Feb 15, 2005
What a bunch of s**t!!!!!!! I sold my home and the 942 went with it. Now I call DishNetwork up and CSR tells me that they guy can't get HD programming,,,,that they don't sell that package anymore. I said "you mean to tell me that a receiver I bought a year ago for over $700 is now a worthless piece of crap,,,,that you won't switch the service over to the guy that bought my home?" She said no. Is this correct???? What they heck is a guy supposed to do? I hate to go back to the guy and tell him he can't have it. Do I have any recourse?

fourlizards said:
I thought I read in a previous post that Dish would not activate any 6000, 921, or 942 receivers after a certain date.

The CSR told me that the guy could get SD,,,, but no HD package.

He will only get HD via OTA if he is a new subscriber. If he is an existing subscriber and currently has the old HD pak, he would get that, but it sounds like he doesn't have Dish yet.

Yes, it sucks, especially since Dish is only offering a $200 credit for this reciever for the new 622.

fourlizards said:
I thought I read in a previous post that Dish would not activate any 6000, 921, or 942 receivers after a certain date.

It is my understanding that the old receivers will not be eligible for any HD programming but will still be usable as SD DVR's. Dish announced this before the new receivers were released - probably in late March. They can still get OTA HD broadcasting where available.

There is still a market out there for the 921 and 942's. I just sold my 921 for a little over $200 and the 942's go for a lot more than that, so all is not lost.

Yup, it might have to go on Fleabay if I can't figure something out. I have alsways been a customer of Dish so I might try DireTV out,,,,maybe they aren't any better.

I have an 811 active with the old hd packages. When I get my 622 and activate it with an HD metal package, will the 811 still be able to receive the MPEG2 HD channels?

j

Boy that's a good question. The way Dish likes to screw with you, I wouldn't count on anything untill I checked it out first.

j.vo said:
I have an 811 active with the old hd packages. When I get my 622 and activate it with an HD metal package, will the 811 still be able to receive the MPEG2 HD channels?

j

my gut feeling would be yes but as noited above, with Dish you never know

NO.......once you activate your 622 w/new metal pkg your 811 will no longer receive the HD programming, only SD will be received.

kevnt63 said:
NO.......once you activate your 622 w/new metal pkg your 811 will no longer receive the HD programming, only SD will be received.

I bought a 622 and have the Platnium pkg and my 942 and 921 still have the old HD channels.

kevnt63 said:
This is not correct. If you get a new VIP receiver and activate the metallic package any existing HD capabale receivers will continue to receive the non-mpeg4 hd channels. As was posted above my 942 still gets all the HD channels plus the voom channels when i went from AEP plus hd to platinum. So my 942 actually get more programming than it did before.

kevnt63 said:
No, that's wrong. My two 811s continue to receive MPEG-2 HD from Dish, even though I'm leasing a 211 and upgraded to HD-Gold.

The older HD still receive the mpeg-2 channels after you upgrade. I have a 6000 and a 811 and they still receive all of the mpeg-2 channels and OTA after I added a 622 and switched to the gold HD pak. They just won't activate the old receivers with HD for a new customer.

The old HD pack no longer exists, only metallics.

The only way to get HD (other than OTA) on a 6000, 811, 921, or 942 is to get a 211 or 622. Activate a metallic package on that account. Any old HD receiver on or added to that account will then get the MPEG-2 HD channels.

kevnt63 said:
Not correct. Will continue to receive the MPEG2 HD's that it was previously receiving.:rolleyes:

Hmmmm.. I just acquired an 811 but do not want to activate it except to allow it to recieve OTA ...

Is there any way I can get this done?

OR, is this just a boat anchor?

(I did have it connected to the dish to get the updates, since it would not do anything at all until that was done)

Thanks,

Ted...

My 811 receives BOTH voom and the old hd. just not universal and espn2. And...very interestingly, running an RCA cable from the video out to a video in from the 811 to my computer, I get all of the HD channels from the 811........NOT THAT'S WEIRD! SHHHH....keep this on the down low.

my 622 receives all..

wait a 'tic....let's say they would if my dish 1000 would pick up the 129 satellite (which it STILL DOES NOT! ALTHOUGH IT USED TO!!!!) Now off to watch Earl.

Here's a new twist. I emailed CEO@dishnetwor.com and got a response basically telly me that it is indeed possible to get the hd package with the 942 after selling it to another person. Here are some quotes from the CEO Escalations rep. You would have to contact them if you are wanting to do this.
"If the person moving into your home would just like our older package then it is still possible for them to use that unit."

"The 942 unit can only pick up our first HD package, this is still a subscription package but it only includes 5 or so HD channels. He also has to have a dish network account."

"If his account is still active then all I would need is his account number or phone number. "

"I have to manually add the codes into his account; customer service doesn’t have the option if the receiver is not activated on his account."

"You can include that in the forums just please try to keep my name out of it. I have received hundreds and hundreds of e-mail regarding some issues I have taken care of in the past. If you include that just make sure they are aware the 942 receiver has to be activated on the customers account before customer service can add the HD programming."

So you see by getting in contact with CEO Escalations they can switch the receiver from person a to person b and then person b can subscribe to the hd package. The normal CSR cannot do this b/c the computers are not set up for them to do it. CEO Escalations rep told me all I had to do is have the other guy call him and he could take care of it for me.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)