Can't upgrade because of trees?

ltdanch

Original poster
Nov 16, 2007
I am a current Dish network subscriber in the Raleigh area attempting to upgrade to HD. The installer was supposed to arrive between 12 and 5, but showed up at 11 before I got there. He told my wife we could not upgrade because of the trees around our property.

We currently have 100+ with locals, and want to keep the same programming. According to our current setup we are pointed at 110 and 119. From reading the forums and channel listings it appears our HD locals are on 118.75, and the rest of the HD programming we would receive is on 110 and 119.

Was the installer blowing smoke so he could get home early on a friday or is there something I'm missing?

You would also need 61.5 or 129 for the rest of the HD programming, in addition to 110,118.7 and 119.

129 is low on the horizon, and like me with a TALL pine tree in the way, I had to get a second dish for 61.5. Your installer was probably right.

I am a current Dish network subscriber in the Raleigh area attempting to upgrade to HD. The installer was supposed to arrive between 12 and 5, but showed up at 11 before I got there. He told my wife we could not upgrade because of the trees around our property.

We currently have 100+ with locals, and want to keep the same programming. According to our current setup we are pointed at 110 and 119. From reading the forums and channel listings it appears our HD locals are on 118.75, and the rest of the HD programming we would receive is on 110 and 119.

Was the installer blowing smoke so he could get home early on a friday or is there something I'm missing?

You are correct about your HD locals at 118. 129 is tough. 61.5 (for the rest of the HD) is to your SSE and pretty high up. Do you think you can see that?

I'm in Raleigh and recently upgraded to the 1000+ dish to get the Raleigh locals in HD. I have the America's Everything Pack + HD. The 1000+ picks up 110, 118, 119, & 129. The HD locals for Raleigh are on 118. Not sure how many trees you have or how tall they are, but there's a fairly large tree in my neighbor's yard. My dish looks like it's pointing directly into the tree, but it doesn't seem to affect my reception any that I can tell.

I'm in Raleigh and recently upgraded to the 1000+ dish to get the Raleigh locals in HD. I have the America's Everything Pack + HD. The 1000+ picks up 110, 118, 119, & 129. The HD locals for Raleigh are on 118. Not sure how many trees you have or how tall they are, but there's a fairly large tree in my neighbor's yard. My dish looks like it's pointing directly into the tree, but it doesn't seem to affect my reception any that I can tell.

That's because these dishes are offset dishes and the actual signal coming in is about 22.5 degrees higher than where the dish appears to point. Somewhere in the past someone got it in their head to move the LNB out of the "sweet spot" where the signal coming in is highest.

129 is low on the horizon, and like me with a TALL pine tree in the way, I had to get a second dish for 61.5. Your installer was probably right.

is there a calculator or table that shows what the elevations are besides what is in the receiver menu?

have a 500 and need to know what the new elevations will be for HD (1000?).

how low is low?

TIA
geek

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts