Can't use my external hard drive with HR24-100

Status
Please reply by conversation.

300 SPARTANS

Original poster
Sep 29, 2010
Lansing
I have just recently moved, I had a HR-22 hooked up to my external hard drive, well when I had the new install done, the HR-22 would not boot up, so my direct tv tech replaced my old HD DVR with a new HR-24-100. (which I rewarded him for, for helping me out) Anyway, when I had this done, I also had the whole home dvr activated. After this was completed, I reformatted my 1tb external hard drive, which was done by my I.T. department at my work site. I took my hard drive home, unplugged the power cord to the HR-24, hooked up the esata cable to the back, then turned on the external hard drive, then plugged in the HR-24. Well, when it powered back up, i went to my playlist, and it didn't reconize the external drive. I repeated this process 2 other times, and tried with a different hard drive, i'm using a western digital 1tb, also tried a seagate 1tb, to no avail. Any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Dumb question, but you do have the power supply hooked up to the drive and the drive powered on, right? eSATA does not provide power to the drive like USB can, even in the case of a 2.5" drive, so an eSATA drive will always need to have the power supply hooked up.

Yes, I always have the power running on the hard drive, i even let it spin for 3 minutes before I even plugged in the HR24

Your trying to use the EHD that was on your HR22 on the HR24 ?

There should be nothing on it once you get it to fire up.
Once the HR24 sees it, it will proceed to re format the drive to see the HR24 and erase the programming on the EHD.

As for why your having issues with it, I'm not sure.
I'm using a 1.5 tb Seagate with no problems, although it tooka while to format the first time.

Unplug everything, plug in the esata cable to the two units, plug in the EHD, once it is powered up, plug in the recvr and it should boot up seeing the EHD, like I said, it will reformat at that time so it will take some time to set up initially.

Ok, the reason why I brought it to my I.T. departmant is because my computer at home didn't have a sata port. I tried hooking up my ehd to my new HR-24 before I brought it into work to have reformatted, but my HR-24 would not reconize or reformat it. I'm not sure if this is the issue or not, but I talked to my I.T. guy today, and he said he formatted my ehd as NTFS, so possibly that could be the issue. When i reformat it again, I'm thinking I should just wipe it clean, and try letting my HR-24 reconize it and format it to its liking?

Just a guess here, but the fact that your IT guy could format the drive suggests that it works OK and the fact that your receiver is new it should be OK too. So, you have every right to question the hard drive. You really cannot wipe it "clean". All drives today come pre-formatted; usually FAT. I would have your IT guy go back and reformat it in FAT format because it is universal (despite its other shortcomings). The receiver should recognize the disk and life should be good.

I would have tested this concept myself, except I am having some difficulty locating an inexpensive esata drive. Now that USB3 is out, that seems to be the new flavor of choice for external drives. I will keep looking.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)