CaptiveWorks 700S with USB

Status
Please reply by conversation.

papascott

Original poster
Dec 10, 2005
central Illinois
Does any one know of a review of the Captive Works 700s with USB ?
Or even some comments on them by owners who'd like to share their views.
Ive been wondering since its USB ready if you could hook a hard drive to it or my computer and use it as a PVR or to watch movies Ive got in my computer?

That USB-loading thing is prob just for loading firmware for the receiver.
The ones that advertise as PVRs , or PVR-ready are what you are looking for. Google the make/model and you might find some comments on it-don't know if there is a review of it here or not, check the review section too.

new models?

On that 700s, I gotta go with what Turbosat said: it's a loader port for firmware.
Here's what one advertizer says:

- USB 2.0 SUPPORTED
- Download Software/channel data/SatCODX Formal File
- View JPEG/Play MP3/MPEG2 Player

On the other hand, the new 800s model claims to be a PVR, and will record.
Sounds like the company brought out two "models", based on similar hardware, but with different firmware.
Here's what they say:
  • USB 2.0 SUPPORTED
  • PVR Ready With Time Shift
  • Download Software/channel data/SatCODX Formal File
  • View JPEG/Play MP3/MPEG2 Player
A bunch of us have the Visionsat IV-200, which is similar to the 800.
It is reviewed and discussed heavily on the forum.
Has been out long enough to get most of the bugs out and works quite well.

Good luck with your quest for the 700/800.
The prices seem attractive, but maybe that's just because they're in a down-market right now (or so I've heard).
If you get one, give us a nice writeup. :cool:

Well Im pretty sure after more reading up the 700s is the same as the 600 Premium with the USB added to it.
I seem to vaguely remember that the firmware from the 800 was close if not the same as the700s either way Im not gonna buy one I was more interested in finding out about them because Im on staff at several FTA sites and its important that I can be as helpful as possible by knowing about as many FTA units as I can get info on and since my budget doesn't allow me the luxury of buying each to test out and review I search and ask around to gain info to share with our peeps or any other sites peeps that I visit.
Ive been in the hobby a short time and have come to really enjoy it and am finding that the True Free to Air side of the hobby is more rewarding and interesting especially when you get your system's all in tune and set up.(which Im working on slowly...lol)
I cant wait to be able to chase wild feeds and the likes I've got a 7.5' mesh Bud waiting to get installed and operable out at my country place and am currently looking for a used cheap motor for my 30" ku dish to use here in town till I relocate to the country home.

Its amazing what a subscription to Dish network has turned into a hobby that Im excited over enough to keep my interest as long as this and keeps me thirsty for more knowledge about.
I new nothing of the Free to Air stuff at all until I started to look on the Net for info on Satellite TV because my Sub was acting weird so I wanted to see if I could learn a little maint. stuff to try out and get my issue straightened out instead of waiting for 4 days for the Tech to come out from Dish, WOW is all I can say about what I found when I stumbled across a Testing site and the information they have there was unbelievable to me and still is!

Testing is what they like to call stealing pay=tv. Maybe it makes 'em feel better, the only thing they're testing is the encryption system's abilities.
And testing their own luck.

Veiwsat Ultra ?

Testing is what they like to call stealing pay=tv. Maybe it makes 'em feel better, the only thing they're testing is the encryption system's abilities.
And testing their own luck.

I bet that VS Ultra picks up a few wild DN Channels for U, free...........

is there any other free to air out there besides "true"?

testing=stealing. We do not condone it here
Im fully aware of the policy here towards 3rd party talk I have been here now two years.
I dont post a lot and respect the sites policy my statement was because Im really confused as to why this hobby isnt more well known and I dont mean the illegal side to me its like when I was a kid and am radio was popular on a clear nite you could tune in stations from several states away well the FTA is like a video version of that with a touch of ham radio thrown in.
It just is so interesting to me Im like a kid in a candy store when it comes to this subject and the hardware involved

I bet that VS Ultra picks up a few wild DN Channels for U, free...........
The only way I'd have a Viewsat product is if they gave it to me Id never support any of there products or buy them.
I have a Traxis 2500 and a Buzz s2010f for my FTA needs now I just need to get a motor so I can scan the clarke belt instead of running out and re aiming the dish on the roof when I want a different sat...no Im on G10 and aint climbing up except to mount the motor lol

Ive got other dishes but my wife thinks they are so un sightly the front of my home faces the south and is on a main street so yeah I guess I see her point dont give a hoot but Ill keep the peace so I can have a piece........nite all

the captive works 800 pvr is an awsome machine. me being one of those "Testers" i quite enjoy the hobby. the 800 is very easy to upgrade and the external hard drive is ultimate record movies and shows i cant watch when im working.and its alot cheaper than "other products" if you get my drift. try it for your self before hacking it you wont be sorry.

the 800 pvr is awsome upgrades easy support comes before most models.record movies and shows i miss whil working. try it before you hack it

by papascott:
I have a Traxis 2500 and a Buzz s2010f for my FTA needs now I

Pm sent, I have a couple of questions about the Buzz rec.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

what you got 4 xmas

Configuration Ideas for first FTA setup

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)